The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Erik Cole

His one-man forecheck was directly responsible for the eventual Patches goal though.

It's frustrating watching Erik because every now and then he'll break out in a patented power skate down the boards. The consistency just isn't there.

He's never been good defensively, the problems we're seeing in that regard are no different than what saw last year, it was just easier to swallow when he was scoring. I don't know that effort has been an issue so much as he just hasn't looked very good. A step slower, making dumb plays, pressing. I think long term we probably got a lucky good season last year and we may get an unlucky bad season this year. I still think the ability is fine, good player, maybe a bit overpaid towards the back end of the deal. He's a known slow starter anyway, no camp couldn't have helped. We'll see, if he gets hot and helps us get into the playoffs all will be forgotten but for the time being he needs to get taken off the PP and have his 5 on 5 time reduced. I don't think benching him is the answer because his problem hasn't been effort IMO. Just let him try and get going with less responsibility, that's all.

I would too if it weren't for the fact that Desharnais seems to be finding his legs again and Eller is playing too well with Galchenyuk to split them up, IMO. Maybe move Cole down to join Eller and Galch?

Gallagher should be back soon, maybe we move Gallagher up on the RW with Pacioretty and Desharnais and give Cole some time in the press box.

Why was Cole's goal from last night unassisted on NHL.com?

Galchenyuk passed it towards Prust, but the NYR defenseman(can't remember who) basically one-touch passed it right to Cole. They counted his one-touch pass as a possession so only Cole really got on the score sheet.

Guest habs1952

I wish

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/02/23/calgary-flames-captain-jarome-iginla-might-be-tough-to-move

Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin isn't done making changes. We're told he'd move LW Erik Cole if he could find a taker for his $4.5-million cap hit through 2014-15. Here's an idea: Call the Carolina Hurricanes.

Just another Sun journalist trying to sow dissension in the Habs locker room because he's jealous of our early success. <_<

I don't get the logic there. The Hurricanes let Cole walk because they didn't want to pay what he was worth as a UFA. We paid him, and then they made a bunch of moves and took on 14M in salary in Staal and Semin. Dunno if they'll be too excited to take on 4.5M for a guy with 6 points this year, as good as he was last year.

I don't get the logic there. The Hurricanes let Cole walk because they didn't want to pay what he was worth as a UFA. We paid him, and then they made a bunch of moves and took on 14M in salary in Staal and Semin. Dunno if they'll be too excited to take on 4.5M for a guy with 6 points this year, as good as he was last year.

I don't see the Canes taking him back on a long-term contract either. Maybe as a rental one day, but he has 3 years left on his deal. In any case, Cole usually starts slow so there's no point in trading him now while his value is low. If he takes off like last year, maybe his value goes up again and there will be merit in discussing whether we should trade him at that time.

I don't really see Cole getting moved anywhere right now.

I also find our "sky is falling" attitude about him kind of hilarious. He's slumping. That doesn't mean he's going to be a failure for the remainder of his contract with us. I know a lot of people were skeptical about the term of his deal, but I think basing the remainder of his deal on these 18 games is a pretty unrealistic. Erik may very well get hot and score at a torrid pace to finish the season and we will all love him again!

To those suggesting we Trade Erik Cole now - while he is in a major slump - thats crazy talk. You want to move Cole? You move him when he's hot - which historically for him is later in the season. Of course then he will be the golden boy & no one will want to trade him again until next year when he slumps to start the season again. :P

To those suggesting we Trade Erik Cole now - while he is in a major slump - thats crazy talk. You want to move Cole? You move him when he's hot - which historically for him is later in the season. Of course then he will be the golden boy & no one will want to trade him again until next year when he slumps to start the season again. :P

The old catch 22. :lol:

when cole is on he is a big strong power forward type of player, that is somthing we waited a long time to get here on the habs! he will come around. i took a look at some of the 24 ch promos and you see him working with the coach and other players he seems to be into it. it always takes abit for his game to get going.

Not "now " but I would think about moving him later on

He is after all 34 years old and last year's 61 points were the best of his career .

I don't expect him to match that so why not try to make room for a younger guy .