The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#68 Yannick Weber

8474134.jpg

QUOTE LIBRARY

“ I’m still young, I still have a lot to learn and I can still become a better player. That’s going to be my goal over the next couple of years.” - Yannick Weber - canadiens.com June 30 2011

I am assuming that the signing of Bouillon and having heard that Don Meehan is working on a contract for Diaz that someone is going to be the odd man out here. Weber? Unless we somehow move Kaberle, but I don't see that happening right now. I imagine we're going to be beginning the season with Markov, Kaberle, Subban, Gorges, Emelin, Bouillon, and Diaz. I don't think Weber fits in here anymore. Time to trade him, I think.

I agree with you but the sad truth is Weber is still our 4th best point man.

He doesn't have a role at even strength at all but beyond Markov Subban and Kaberle, he's clearly the next best player, we have on the point.

Still 4 minutes a night doesn't justify a spot in the lineup. If you can get a draft pick above the 5th round for him you must do it.

Edited by MIASUN

He doesn't have a role at even strength at all but beyond Markov Subban and Kaberle, he's clearly the next best player we have on the point.

And a guy like Diaz can replace that. Weber brings a little value, but he does more harm than good in the lineup with his defensive problems, IMO. I would take any of our D over Weber, but I would rather trade Kaberle cause of the contract but I don't see that happening. If I were GM and I could, I would just trade both of them and give St.Denis a chance.

He doesn't have a role at even strength at all but beyond Markov Subban and Kaberle, he's clearly the next best player, we have on the point.

Still 4 minutes a night doesn't justify a spot in the lineup. If you can get a draft pick above the 5th round for him you must do it.

Well... He certainly can play a role on the powerplay, but I'm not sure if he's really much better back there than Gorges or Emelin or whoever. He had 4 goals and 14 assists in 60 games last season. Not bad. However, I just don't see where he fits in with Montreal anymore. Bergevin has clearly signed Bouillon for a reason. Someone is not going to be here when camp finishes. Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban, Alexei Emelin, Francis Bouillon, and Josh Gorges will certainly be here, IMO. Tomas Kaberle is probably going to be difficult to trade right now, so I also anticipate him starting the year in Montreal. We've heard from Diaz's agent that a contract is being negotiated. Where does that leave Weber?

He had better have a good camp.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Read an article from Germany (via google translate) that has a clip of Weber, where he says a change of scenery may be for the best

Yannick Weber ‏@yanweber68

By the way habs fans, dont worry about the SwissMedia Rumors going around these days! Ready&Excited for a big season in Montreal! #gohabsgo

I really hope for his sake hes the Weber we saw in October 2011 for the entire season.

So i would trade weber to the panthers for Jonathan Racine( born in Montreal ) he's big at 6'2 and only 19. It's a d for d trade but basically to get rid of weber and maybe Racine gets trade value later on.

So i would trade weber to the panthers for Jonathan Racine( born in Montreal ) he's big at 6'2 and only 19. It's a d for d trade but basically to get rid of weber and maybe Racine gets trade value later on.

Not a bad idea, could maybe get more out of that deal. I Think Weber needs a change of scenery, I wonder if they'll play him a bit and maybe rise his stock (and hopefully not lower it)

• 1 month later...

New York Islanders captain Mark Streit and Montreal Canadiens defenceman Yannick Weber are returning home to play in Switzerland during the NHL lockout. Bern says it has signed Streit and Geneva-Servette says it recruited Weber

Well that's. Good maybe he can regain his touch and prove himself. He didn't do well for the last year or two.

• 4 months later...

I have a feeling he plays against Florida. Without PK, we could use that right hand shot on the PP.

Well we had Diaz in the game already and didn't use him on the first wave of the PP anyways. The issue wasn't the lack of a right-handed shot, it was the fact that the D as a whole had a lot of difficulty moving the puck and keeping it in at the blue line. I think a large part of that came back to errant passes from the forwards, bad ice, and timing that was off. I also don't think having Bouillon on the PP made any sense. I would have much preferred to see Emelin out there, yet all the coaches seem to have been resistant to that idea. The guy's played the PP point in Russia, including for their national team, so I'm sure he's more capable than a veteran journeyman whose never really played the PP consistently in his entire career.

In Weber's case, I just don't know who he would be subbed in to replace. If it's Diaz, it doesn't really add anything extra. If it's a forward we're subbing out, we're better off adding Gallagher in rather than a defenceman. If it's Bouillon or Emelin, then our defensive side of things takes a hit to get Weber in. I just don't see Yannick fitting into what we have, unless he gets in by injury or a longer slump.

I don't think it's a question of adding something extra Ted. Diaz and Webber are interchangeable IMO. It was seeing Soupy on the 2nd wave that made me think Webber would be a much better option out there.

I didn't know that fact about Emelin playing the point back in Russia. Coaches must be aware of it, and for whatever reason have chosen not to use him. They had that opportunity last season and we saw Pleks in that role instead.

I can't see Webber sitting out long periods of time unless he's truly on the way out, and if that's the case,,,,we'll get virtually zip if we don't play him on occasion to showcase him. Maybe we're doing that with Diaz??

When PK is back we'll have a real logjam back on D, unless of course we run into injuries. Even then, we have Commodore and St Denis on the farm ready to step up.

I'm honestly surprised he's still here. I thought he would be gone in the off-season.

Ditto here,, especially after we picked up Soupy. I think he has some value but i can't see how we'll get much of anything with him not being showcased out there. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Streit deja vu for us.

Ditto here,, especially after we picked up Soupy. I think he has some value but i can't see how we'll get much of anything with him not being showcased out there. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Streit deja vu for us.

I don't think it will. Weber has shown nothing to make me think he can be the next Streit. I also don't think he'll provide good "coverage" for us should someone get injured. Last year he was poor defensively and now he's not playing at all. I don't really see any way that he may have improved.

Apparently two teams have inquired about Yannick... The Senators and Hurricanes. RDS

If and when PK is signed, i would try and peddle Kabs before Weber. Don't know if it's a possible, but it's certainly more favourable for us.