The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Yannick Weber

Thing is though, i do NOT believe they're 100% never going to use him. If we (heaven forbid, knock on wood, etc) lost one of our top 2 dmen, look for Kabs to slot in. Otherwise, why is he practicing? Why is he even with the team? They told Gomez to go home so there would be absolutely no possible risk of injury thus negating a buyout. With Kabs they are still asking him to show up & practice.

I would say its a 99% chance he never plays another game for us, but if there's a desperate need, and/or they feel they need some sort of shakeup in the playoffs, I still think there's a remote possibility he suits up.

Of course in some ways this is even more ridiculous because not only do we not get to use his services (which clearly have to be better than some of the other options we've tried) but also I cant think of a better situation to injure a player than have him sit half a year and then throw him into the playoffs. lol.

Anyway, back to Weber - i thought he looked marginally better last night (the short amount of the game i saw) but I really dont love the idea of him playing unless the 5 dmen ahead of him are all good quality players, not rookies or 7th dmen themselves.

i agree jed, he looked better than last game.

But we must remain objective as well, the kid has hardly played over the last few years. At least some of our players get sent back to Hamilton so they can receive good ice-time.

YW hasn't had the luxury. he's spent the better part of 2 years in the pressbox.

I think it's time to let the kid og if we're not going to play him. At least give him a chance to try and make another team.

No more 7th d-man on the fourth line, PLEASE GOD.

I dont mean use a 7 D system. I meant pull a byfuglien (not to the same extent in terms of overall talent) and convert Yannick to winger.

Thing is though, i do NOT believe they're 100% never going to use him. If we (heaven forbid, knock on wood, etc) lost one of our top 2 dmen, look for Kabs to slot in. Otherwise, why is he practicing? Why is he even with the team? They told Gomez to go home so there would be absolutely no possible risk of injury thus negating a buyout. With Kabs they are still asking him to show up & practice.

I would say its a 99% chance he never plays another game for us, but if there's a desperate need, and/or they feel they need some sort of shakeup in the playoffs, I still think there's a remote possibility he suits up.

Of course in some ways this is even more ridiculous because not only do we not get to use his services (which clearly have to be better than some of the other options we've tried) but also I cant think of a better situation to injure a player than have him sit half a year and then throw him into the playoffs. lol.

Anyway, back to Weber - i thought he looked marginally better last night (the short amount of the game i saw) but I really dont love the idea of him playing unless the 5 dmen ahead of him are all good quality players, not rookies or 7th dmen themselves.

The problem with TELLING someone to go home was that the NHLPA threw a huge fit over that. Hence why they probably are not going to announce telling another team mate to just go home.

Plus Im sure marc and michel are well aware that if markov or subban or gorges goes down, a guy like pateryn isnt going to be able to fill the void. Tomas would be a much better option.

I dont mean use a 7 D system. I meant pull a byfuglien (not to the same extent in terms of overall talent) and convert Yannick to winger.

But why even bother? What need do we have at winger that would prompt us to convert a d-man to that position? We'd basically be taking on a conversion project where the return would not be worth it, i.e. adding a small perimeter player to our group of wingers.

The problem with TELLING someone to go home was that the NHLPA threw a huge fit over that. Hence why they probably are not going to announce telling another team mate to just go home.

Plus Im sure marc and michel are well aware that if markov or subban or gorges goes down, a guy like pateryn isnt going to be able to fill the void. Tomas would be a much better option.

Well it sucks for the guy being sent home but it's well within the rules of the league. If the PA benefits from guaranteed contracts and the players keep getting fat long-term deals, it's inevitable that some of the teams won't be happy with the ones they signed. If you look at the NFL, where contracts aren't guaranteed, star veterans are released all the time for monetary/cap reasons. In any case, if the Habs wanted to use Kaberle as a fill-in, I feel like they would have put him in after Diaz went down and kept him in the line-up. If Subban or Markov went down, I think they'd end up sticking Beaulieu in instead.

• 2 months later...

Wow, can't say I foresaw the Habs not even qualifying Weber.

I still think he could be an asset down the road, but he needs to put on some muscle and learn the game defensively much better.

Pretty big news today I suppose.

I would have said this last year. But he's been with the big squad for several years now and his defence has gotten worse, never mind showing any improvement. He was constantly falling over and turning over the puck WHILE ON THE POWERPLAY. His offensive worth was far outweighed by his defensive liability. I'm sure the Habs looked around at trying to deal him, and there were probably no takers. With Beaulieu, Pateryn, Tinordi, Ellis, Dietz, Thrower, etc. moving up through the ranks, there was really no need or room for Weber here.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest mrsmarkov

I've never cared about athletes and who they date, but I found this interesting. Makes sense actually, but still weird. Yannick is dating Carey Price's sister. I wonder how Carey feels about this :P. I guess both Carey and his sister have a thing for Weber's, though spelled differently :lol:.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...