The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#67 Max Pacioretty 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Even if last year was a fluke, Pacioretty is at worst a 20+ 20+ assist guy. There's just no way he isn't a top 6 calibre player. To sign him for 6 (more, after this final season) years at a price that's quite fair both ways really excites me.

That's a great contract. In terms of people inquiring about waiting until January 1st, I believe you can extend any time in the last year of a contract which would be any time after July 1st. I don't have any CBA sections to reference, just going by past re-signings, the fact Crosby was extended, they're already talking about extending Hall etc.

I'm almost positive (lets say 95%) that you can't re-sign guys in certain situation(s) until January 1st.

Gorges last year, I'm positive wasn't able to re-sign until January 1st, I believe that's due to him being having signed a 1 year deal. He even signed on January 1st. But again that's different because it's just a 1 year term so there is not July 1st in the equation for when he "became" a player.

Even if last year was a fluke, Pacioretty is at worst a 20+ 20+ assist guy. There's just no way he isn't a top 6 calibre player. To sign him for 6 (more, after this final season) years at a price that's quite fair both ways really excites me.

I'm almost positive (lets say 95%) that you can't re-sign guys in certain situation(s) until January 1st.

Gorges last year, I'm positive wasn't able to re-sign until January 1st, I believe that's due to him being having signed a 1 year deal. He even signed on January 1st. But again that's different because it's just a 1 year term so there is not July 1st in the equation for when he "became" a player.

That's exactly right I believe. Probably to prevent sham multi year deals being structure as two separate contracts. ie: Instead of a two year deal, you could sign a guy to a one year deal and extend him right away which plays games with the cap a bit.

The thing I like about this deal - aside from just being a good contract - is that its the first "hometown discount" we've seen from a star player on this team for a while.

Its all good and fine for Matthieu Darche or some other grinder to take a league minimum contract but when your leading scorer & best young goal scorer takes a deal that clearly left money on the table - and then follows that up with "I did this deal because I love playing in montreal" that provides a bit of a benchmark for future contracts.

Well done Bergevin & Co and thank you Max for believing in this team & putting your money where your mouth is, in taking a little less, which should ultimately make the team around you better.

Nice signing! I am really happy about this. I feel like a $4.5 million cap hit could end up being a real steal.

I agree, JR,,,Max could have signed a shorter deal for 4 yrs. ( same $$). and at the end of it,,,we might have had to up the ante to around 6 mil. per season.

I was really fearful that Patches might not bounce back after the dangerous cheapshot from chara. I was sooooo happy he proved me wrong.

A lot of character this kid has and at 6 years 27 mil it's a steal!

There were 2 players prior to this season who I believed would be a safe bet to sign long term... Price and PK, we can now add Patches to the list. He had a great breakout season last year and was off to a great start before chara ended it.

Took him a while to adjust to the NHL and the long season, but his time in Hamilton was paramount to his development. Patches is the perfect example of why I'm always leary about rushing a kid into the league without at the very least one season in Hamilton.

It's one thing to tear up the NCAA, the Q, OHL, WHL and/or any of the lower Euro leagues. Just look what tearing up the AHL did for players like PK, DD and Patches.

Way to go Max, you deserve it and thanx for giving the Habs a hometown discount. :)

The thing I like about this deal - aside from just being a good contract - is that its the first "hometown discount" we've seen from a star player on this team for a while.

Its all good and fine for Matthieu Darche or some other grinder to take a league minimum contract but when your leading scorer & best young goal scorer takes a deal that clearly left money on the table - and then follows that up with "I did this deal because I love playing in montreal" that provides a bit of a benchmark for future contracts.

Well done Bergevin & Co and thank you Max for believing in this team & putting your money where your mouth is, in taking a little less, which should ultimately make the team around you better.

Well said Jed.

Really impressed with this kids character. I hope some of our other RFA/UFA's take notice.

Were I part of another team's fan base I would be jealous about this deal. I'm sure there are 29 other general managers around the league that would love to have Pacioretty on their team and would have been willing to pay him more money.

I love the deal, it's proactive but it's not the slam dunk, no risk deal it's made out to be. We're committing nearly 30 million dollars based on a season and a half of sample. The risk of that will lower most deals.

I've always loved Pacioretty, even when there were legitimate questions about his scoring ability I've believed in the talent so I'm not worried, but the lack of track record is part of the reason the cap hit isn't higher.

I wonder how much his injury played a part in him being willing to sign this deal, he's been faced with potentially never playing again so he wasn't about to turn down his first chance to become rich and guarantee himself 27 million dollars.

WHAT!

The great Pacioretty is only getting paid 4.5m? The NHL must be bias against NA players! When will GMs realize that NA players deserve just as much money as the Russian players? :lol:

Good job MB. You got my vote!

Pacioretty Didint get less money because he is an NA player it is because of his lack of play as well as a "hometown discount".

• 1 month later...

Well hopefully he doesn't get hurt over there.

I do not know if it is still done in the Swiss elite league but the top scorer from each team used to wear a distinct jersey from his teamates identifying them as such. You would consider it a strange tradition since it provides a target for the opposition.

If Pacman should light up the league (which would likely be the case)and if this silly practice of special shirts is still applied, the only real worry for Habs fans would be if opposing designated imports (which I believe the league allows 3 per roster who are usually North Americans) decide to take a run at him. Most Swiss players do not hit big power forwards. IMO, this is highly unlikely beccause the most designated imports are brought in to provide scoring punch only...