The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#61 Raphael Diaz 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Well, I think Diaz hurt us much more tonight than the Sens could have. Soft plays, backing up way too much, and the Eller pass. Just aweful.After the last few games and especially tonight i really would rather see Pateryn,Beaulieu,Drewiske or Kaberle instead of him out there.

I agree 100%.

Figured that with his added experience and maturity at 27 that he may be a wildcard playoff rookie in this series and offset a-lot of the offense coming the other way from Karlsson/Gonchar on Ottawa. Not the case. In the defensive zone especially it's been a pretty atrocious ride for Diaz and the fact not much is coming from the point offensively is making it worse IMO.

Perhaps he was rushed back from the injury to compensate for the loss of Emelin, who knows, but either way Raphael is playing worse then expected and auditions of Weber in years past looked a little more steady then this right now.

I'm not going to harp on Diaz, quite frankly when healthy he plays a huge role. Possible he was rushed back since our defense was hurting and with the injury to Emelin, they were in need of help. He never seemed to get his game back after the concussion.

maybe if he was allowed to have as long as of a recovery as crosby had, he may have looked better.

Just hoping he takes the summer to take care of himself and be in game form come the fall.

I'm not going to harp on Diaz, quite frankly when healthy he plays a huge role. Possible he was rushed back since our defense was hurting and with the injury to Emelin, they were in need of help. He never seemed to get his game back after the concussion.

maybe if he was allowed to have as long as of a recovery as crosby had, he may have looked better.

Just hoping he takes the summer to take care of himself and be in game form come the fall.

This.

I cant see how you start off with such good positioning & then you come back from injury and you're a so much worse. I think he may not have been 100% and am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt next year.

Frankly, like weep mentioned though, he needs to earn his spot next year. IMHO we have only one player who's earned his spot: PK at #1. Beyond that, every other spot is up for grabs on this blueline.

I think you are being a bit harsh Weeps,Diaz was not bad last season,and was even better before he got injured,if Diaz is on the blue line,literally the only way they get the puck past him,is to take it past him,you can't ice the puck very often he nearly always stops it.It will be good to see him play against the US in the worlds.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub: :wub: :wub:

Played a good game against the USA,although he did cause a too many men on the ice penalty,they were saying about how he controls the blue line just what I said in my last post,they said he was one of the best in the NHL,Diaz blocked a shot off of Chucky,one of the best shots for the US,the Swiss really outplayed them.

GO DIAz GO :wub::wub: :wub:

I'll be rooting for Gold!

Me too,that will mean 3 of our HABS have medals,hopefully Diaz's is a gold ,but I wish our Canadians had a medal,but I am proud of our players.

GO DIAZ GO :wub::wub::wub::wub:

Anyone can look good in a 10 or 15-game sample. Diaz has done squat to prove he deserves more than a shot at earning a top-four spot in camp.

This is kind of an odd statement, I don't think any single person thinks Diaz is a lock for the top 4 next year.

He has a shot to earn a spot in the top 4 though, and I believe he's a lock to be penciled in every night somewhere in the line up.

I'd say he's done quite a bit over his first 82 NHL games to show he belongs in the NHL.

Also, "anyone can look good in a 10 or 15-game sample" is quite misleading. He was a rock through 19 games, and then missed 25 games and played the last 4.

Then he was pretty average in the playoffs, and I can't think of a single d-man who played that well in the playoffs...but it was his first time ever playing in the playoffs as well, so not sure how you can condemn him too much for an underwhelming performance.

Diaz came over and many thought he was just an older Weber, lots of offence and poor defence...but he's been very good defensively and before his concussion looked like he was emerging as a legit top 4 guy and maybe even a top PP guy as well.

I never said he didn't belong in the NHL. As for the sample size, 15 games is not far off the first 19 when he was sizzling. I like that sizzle, but he's done that twice in two years (looked good out the gate but then fizzled afterwards). Hopefully he can jump up and earn that top-four spot, but it shouldn't be given to him.