The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#53 Ryan White 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

The thing is,,,he took on Fleishman,,,who is not a fighter (and turtled), But,,,he, along with Prust and Moen will show that we are here to stay.

I wasn't defending him. I was pointing out that a penalty like that probably would get him benched under the Martin era. Not so sure MT would see it the same way. I doubt he sits next game, as someone else pointed out.

He did go a little ballistic on Fleishman but i don't think you'll get any complaints from Josh. That hit was dirty and could easily have been serious. The 2 minutes didn't cut it. Should have been 5 and a game IMO.

thats MT hockey boy get used to it

Taking cheap shots and sucker punches at a turtled player who is small, not a fighter, and really didn't deserve it? And taking a 5 minute major that could have changed the game if Florida scored? I get that he was sticking up for Gorges on a somewhat dirty hit, but it wasn't as bad as Fleishmann could have made it and Gorges can stick up for himself.

If that's MT hockey, we might as well trade Subban for Chara and change our name to the Charleston Chiefs.

Play tough but not stupid, that was stupid and could have cost the team IMO. Get in the guys face but that wasn't well thought out.

We were lucky they didn't have enough gas in the tank to take advantage. Could have been a game turner. A 5 minute call on Fleishman would have pretty well negated White's penalty. The non call made the situation tense.

I liked White sticking up for Gorges but I really thought that was a stupid play. Like it or not, the instigator rule is a rule, and you have to account for it. If Fleishmann stood up and fought, then by all means fight him, but pummelling someone who's turtling is a great way to get slapped with a potentially game-changing penalty.

I liked White sticking up for Gorges but I really thought that was a stupid play. Like it or not, the instigator rule is a rule, and you have to account for it. If Fleishmann stood up and fought, then by all means fight him, but pummelling someone who's turtling is a great way to get slapped with a potentially game-changing penalty.

The thing is, taking off the gloves and punching an unwilling combatant will always result in that kind of thing. If White had left his gloves on and gave him a couple shots, he probably gets 4 for roughing and we kill a standard 2 minute penalty. It was just overboard and a bit needless IMO, there were other ways to send the same message.

Stupid and way overboard. Jumping Fleischmann off all people, that's exactly the kind of bush league stuff we love to hate the Bruins for.

Sticking up for your teammates is fine, but certainly not like this. As others have already posted, we got lucky the Cats didn't score.

I liked what he did. What Fleischmann did was very dangerous and you can't allow other teams to make those kinds of hits against your team.

Agreed. And as I said in the GDT, White did what the referees failed to do. When the league won't take goonish hits out of the game, the players will do what they need to so that a guy like Fleishcmann thinks twice the next time he pummels a guy from behind. White did the right thing, the refs did not. I hate when tough guys start pounding on a player for making a clean hit, but in this case, Fleischmann made the cheapshot and he has to stand up for what he did. He made a cowardly hit and then he cowardly turtled away from facing the music for that hit. Good on White for trying to teach him a lesson.

Agree with it being a needless penalty and PP. On the flip side, it was 4-1, Gorges got hit from behind and it was nice to see someone wearing a CH punch first and not be the one turtling. Prust, Soupy and all have said they want the Bell center visitors to be put in notice that this isn't your sisters Habs. I think Fleishman knows that now.

Also TF was mixing it up with White just previous to the hit and for the record he is 6'1" 195lbs, Ryan is 6/200. Not exactly Parros vs Plekanec.

Agreed. And as I said in the GDT, White did what the referees failed to do. When the league won't take goonish hits out of the game, the players will do what they need to so that a guy like Fleishcmann thinks twice the next time he pummels a guy from behind. White did the right thing, the refs did not. I hate when tough guys start pounding on a player for making a clean hit, but in this case, Fleischmann made the cheapshot and he has to stand up for what he did. He made a cowardly hit and then he cowardly turtled away from facing the music for that hit. Good on White for trying to teach him a lesson.

That's the difference for me. Ya I'm not a huge fan of throwing punches at a guy who does't want to fight but then he shouldn't of hit Gorges from behind. Maybe next time he won't. If we're not up by 3 goals and/or the ref actually makes the call then things are a bit different.

There's a very fine line to walk between standing up for a teammate and putting your team at a disadvantage. Ryan needs to learn how to walk that line if he wants to play that way in the NHL. His play last night could've cost us... Luckily it did not.

Agreed, its a fine line. Shayne Corson, probably my all time favourite hab, walked that line a lot & sometimes crossed it. I remember him jumping off the bench to help a teammate who was getting pummelled by someone much bigger. Sure it was a great "teammate move" and it sent a message, but Shayne got a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

Anyway, in this particular instance i dont mind what white did, but I agree, he has to be careful about when & how he makes these sorts of statements.

Guest habs1952

The thing is,,,he took on Fleishman,,,who is not a fighter (and turtled), But,,,he, along with Prust and Moen will show that we are here to stay.

White was a little too aggressive but on the other hand, just because Fleishman isn't a fighter doesn't mean he doesn't need to expect payback.

Agreed, its a fine line. Shayne Corson, probably my all time favourite hab, walked that line a lot & sometimes crossed it. I remember him jumping off the bench to help a teammate who was getting pummelled by someone much bigger. Sure it was a great "teammate move" and it sent a message, but Shayne got a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

Anyway, in this particular instance i dont mind what white did, but I agree, he has to be careful about when & how he makes these sorts of statements.

This

The other thing I meant to mention is that it was nice to see White's reaction even though it was a bad hit on Gorges.

Last year, you would have most likely not seen anyone jump in & the unwritten explanation seemed to be "well, its Gorges, he's tough, he doesnt need protecting."

We saw guys stick up for Plekanec, Gio and DD but when guys with size like Eller, Patches or PK got mauled, other guys rarely stepped in. White is showing "it doesnt matter WHO you mess with on MY team, if it aint clean, im coming after you" and thats a strong message.

I think by next summer people wont be calling us smurfs or soft very often.

As I said, I don't want to see guys taking dumb penalties because an opposition player gets under their skin or makes a clean hit against us. But in this case, White's response was necessary and appropriate. We can talk about how it put us a man down, but that's on the refs not calling the game by the rules. The opposite situation would be what we've been all too used to: no one doing anything and other teams just continuing to take cheap shots against us all season. In a 4-1 game, I'm in favor of taking the chance that 1) the refs screw up the calls (which they did) AND 2) that the Cats scored 3 goals to get back in it (which didn't happen) in exchange for passing the message, especially in a game so early in the season. Just look at how Buffalo imploded after the whole Lucic on Miller fiasco last year when no one stepped up and the team started pointing fingers at each other.

As I said, I don't want to see guys taking dumb penalties because an opposition player gets under their skin or makes a clean hit against us. But in this case, White's response was necessary and appropriate. We can talk about how it put us a man down, but that's on the refs not calling the game by the rules. The opposite situation would be what we've been all too used to: no one doing anything and other teams just continuing to take cheap shots against us all season. In a 4-1 game, I'm in favor of taking the chance that 1) the refs screw up the calls (which they did) AND 2) that the Cats scored 3 goals to get back in it (which didn't happen) in exchange for passing the message, especially in a game so early in the season. Just look at how Buffalo imploded after the whole Lucic on Miller fiasco last year when no one stepped up and the team started pointing fingers at each other.

If White gives him the same shots with his gloves on, he probably gets 2 or 4 for roughing and it's either 4 on 4 or 5 on 5. Either way, a response was justified, the question is was it over the top. If Shawn Thornton did that to Plekanec after a dirty hit, I'm sure everyone would feel differently. It's probably best for White he was thrown out of the game with Florida having an actual heavy weight.

Anyway, I honestly think he could have sent a message without being quite as over the top.

Very well put couldn't agree more , we can speculate on possible outcomes for Ryans actions , but won the game , message was sent , I for one love it , hate seeing our team get pushed around as they have for years , about time we get some guys stepping up and letting other teams know "Not in our house ! "

I don't mind either. Sometimes, as a team, you just need to have confidence in yourself to deal with the repercussions (penalty killing) and move along. However, Ryan cannot pummel every one who takes a run at someone on our team. If we are losing a game it could be the difference between managing to come back and tie or going into a hole that we can't crawl out of.

What, no love for Ryan after tonight's game? Got a nice opening goal, and took ZERO penalties. Nice change. I think Coach Therrien really likes his game, and that probably means we will see noticeable improvements in him, or at least just a strong, consistent effort and a presence.

What, no love for Ryan after tonight's game? Got a nice opening goal, and took ZERO penalties. Nice change. I think Coach Therrien really likes his game, and that probably means we will see noticeable improvements in him, or at least just a strong, consistent effort and a presence.

I would be the one to complement White usually but I didn't see the game.

I will be watching it today when I get home at 6:00am with a beer in hand!