The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Well no, he's not ancient,lol. I just think for what he brings White or Blunden can do for cheaper. But by the same reasoning we know what we get with DD as well. He's no Crosby offensively, He's no Pleks either, He's good for about 50 points, he's good if Gally goes through the usual sophomore slump and in two years his contract isn't the worst we've seen. I'd love for him to be better at both ends of the ice, but I can live with what he brings for a few more years. Plus I don't really see anyone on the farm pushing to make him expendable anytime soon yet either, so in the mean time rolling three scoring lines is a rather nice option that we haven't had in quite some time. At least in my opinion,lol :P

I don't know weep, those 'spare parts' (assuming you're referring to Armstrong and White) have much better scoring chance for/against ratios while playing the same role. Moen has been one of the worst on the team this year in that regard outside of the PK where he's still been one of our best.

I like the guy, but he's not having a good season.

For DD, we'll see. If he keeps averaging 50-60 points I think he'll be pretty moveable when the time comes. The slump he hit this year has been more the exception than the rule in his tenior here so far.

On Moen: fair point, but it's possible that his particular role on the wing limits the scoring chances he has. I'm not saying he's had some killer season, just that he does play a role and that his contract isn't really an albatross, given his age and low cap hit. That said, I don't like four-year contracts for non-core players, so on that front, I dislike Moen's contract as much as I dislike DD's and even Prust's.

On DD: The problem is, you can't just shove him into a checking capacity and expect to retain value. If you're not pumping his OZone time and making sure he has at least one bull linemate (e.g. Pacioretty) to open up ice for him, he won't give you those 50-60 points. And he's not good enough defensively to have value in a lower-line role. Moen's spot doesn't really come at anyone else's expense. DD's spot does -- think about all the DD/Eller discussions this year. There are only so many offensive minutes to go around and at some point, you have to wonder whether it's worth it to retain DD when a guy three years his junior is matching him in points despite substantially less prime OZone / PP time.

I see your side, and to a point i agree, but it's still a nice option to have. It gives A.Gally a full year to grow into his role,if there's an injury it's great to know we have four good centers, with 2 being good wingers as well, it gives us many more options through slumps and injuries. There's always an arguement that can be made for anyone.One can say the whole 4th line (Moen/Halpern/Armstrong) takes the place of Blunden/White/Dumont, it's all opinion and everybody has one, it's part of what makes this forum great. Back to DD though, as long as he keeps putting up about 50 points I think I can live with him for another year or two. Moen is another story as far as I'm concerned, LOL

On Moen: fair point, but it's possible that his particular role on the wing limits the scoring chances he has. I'm not saying he's had some killer season, just that he does play a role and that his contract isn't really an albatross, given his age and low cap hit. That said, I don't like four-year contracts for non-core players, so on that front, I dislike Moen's contract as much as I dislike DD's and even Prust's.

On DD: The problem is, you can't just shove him into a checking capacity and expect to retain value. If you're not pumping his OZone time and making sure he has at least one bull linemate (e.g. Pacioretty) to open up ice for him, he won't give you those 50-60 points. And he's not good enough defensively to have value in a lower-line role. Moen's spot doesn't really come at anyone else's expense. DD's spot does -- think about all the DD/Eller discussions this year. There are only so many offensive minutes to go around and at some point, you have to wonder whether it's worth it to retain DD when a guy three years his junior is matching him in points despite substantially less prime OZone / PP time.

No real disagreements from me. I just think and hope that it's too early to call the contract an albatross or DD a reclamation project. I think secondary scoring is going to be essential for this team for the next few years so whether he's on a number one offensive line or a secondary scoring line, I think he can still be useful for a while and moveable thereafter.

No real disagreements from me. I just think and hope that it's too early to call the contract an albatross or DD a reclamation project. I think secondary scoring is going to be essential for this team for the next few years so whether he's on a number one offensive line or a secondary scoring line, I think he can still be useful for a while and moveable thereafter.

i think it's a little early to call it a horrible contract. This is only DD's 2nd (full) season in the NHL. 3.5 per season isn't too bad, it's manageable and tradeable when the time comes (which I think will come eventually). The problem with DD is that we can only use him in a top 6 role. His defensive skills are decent, but as weep already pointed out, doesn't have the brut strength to play in a checking role.

I could maybe see him in a 3rd line scoring role, but not in a defensive role.

I'm not thrilled about his contract extension, especially when we already have a solid top 6 guy in pleks, a hard working 2-way centre in Eller who did well in pleks place and a top 6 guy (in waiting) in Gally.

i see DD as the odd man out. If we showcase his skills now and through next season, we may be able to bulk his production to make him appealing to another team. I've really like the way RB has played this season, using his size and strength to his advantage. Last night he was in the slot screening Pavelec and when push came to shove, he out muscled the jets dman and put him on his butt.

This is the type of guy that DD needs on his line. Patches imo looked better last night,he was using his size to make room. if patches can continue to be physical (think it would help him to have RB on his line), then he could be a boost to DD's production.

Patches really fed off cole last season, I'm hoping RB's physical presence could do the same.

I hope he doesn't prove me wrong but I'm sure he will step it up. He didn't make it this far by being lazy and not trying.He didn't play too bad last night and I thought Max played smaller than he is which doesn't help DD much either, but I think both will be better tonight....I'm hoping anyways :P

I've been defending him for awhile but even I have to admit he's been invisible out there. If he's hurt he should sit and if he's not he should be sat for a game. At this point in time we should go with the best player regardless of how much they make....and that goes for a few players not just DD.

Just too small and its even more apparent come playoff time when other teams give you zero space. Cant win the battles on the boards and gets knocked off the puck very easily. Hope he proves me wrong in Game #4 and brings out the inner Gallagher in him