The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

And I'm NOT trying to take away from Desharnais, but in terms of guys playing their best with him, you're also getting his better zone starts or much better match-ups. For Cammy, going from the Plekanec line to the Desharnais line is helpful regardless of Desharnais. Cammy never truly belonged with Plekanec as long as we intended to keep using Plekanec as our shutdown center.

That's an excellent point. Which is a big part of the reason I think he could still be useful in that second/third line role since whomever he's playing with shouldn't be getting those tough match ups anyway.

His other shortcomings aside, I do think he's possibly the best passer on the team among forwards, and I think that gives him the ability to make the wingers around him better. Because of his other limitations, he may never be a #1 center on a contender, but his skill set can still give him real value on the PP and on a secondary scoring line by elevating the output of average to good wingers who aren't facing the other teams' top shutdown guys.

That's an excellent point. Which is a big part of the reason I think he could still be useful in that second/third line role since whomever he's playing with shouldn't be getting those tough match ups anyway.

But in that role, his linemates also aren't getting the extra OZone starts, PP time, etc.

His other shortcomings aside, I do think he's possibly the best passer on the team among forwards

To me, Plekanec is the best passer on the team among forwards. He distributes at a high level, and more multi-dimensionally than Desharnais.

But for the 2nd or 3rd line, won't we want our 1st line center to be getting more of those OZone starts, or better match-ups? Won't we want him out first on the PP? This is the slippery slope right now I see for Desharnais. If Galchenyuk develops as expected he could be ready for sheltered offensive minutes after next season, how many sheltered offensive minutes are there?

It just becomes tough to exist in that role once you're off the 1st line. If we role Galchenyuk 1 and have 2 very good 2-way centers in Plekanec and Eller still in our possession, we'll have to get creative with Desharnais. He's skilled and I think if we start using him in different roles now, we can have a use for him going forward but he needs to be able to bring more to the table than just passing/offensive zone play.

True, he wouldn't be getting the offensive zone starts that the first line gets, but we're not expecting nor do we need him to produce at the clip he did last year if we give him a lesser role.

By better matchups, I was referring more to the fact other teams wouldn't be trying to get their shutdown pair of defensemen/best players against him if he wasn't on the top line.

It just becomes tough to exist in that role once you're off the 1st line. If we role Galchenyuk 1 and have 2 very good 2-way centers in Plekanec and Eller still in our possession, we'll have to get creative with Desharnais. He's skilled and I think if we start using him in different roles now, we can have a use for him going forward but he needs to be able to bring more to the table than just passing/offensive zone play.

Given the scenario that you've brought up here, another option would be to leave Desharnais exactly where he is this year. If he can perform for a full season as well as he did when put on the top line last year then we can probably trade him for something useful.

Sure he gets sheltered minutes, yadda yadda yadda, but every team has a line that gets those sorts of minutes. If Desharnais proves that he can use those sheltered minutes to produce (which not everyone does) then I'm sure he'll have trade value. Like you said, we can use Galchenyuk in the same role here.

• 2 months later...

I would trade DD to phoenix for one of their out standing young dmen like gormley.. you re unit gormley and ellis and you get the PEI connection(yay my province) sure your going ot have to throw in another play but it's worth it because in 5 years MTL will have the best six pack in the entire NHL by far!!!! having 3 top two d and another 3 top four guys.. say hello to cup contention

Its why the lockout could definitely hurt the "DD Plan." I think that the hope was he would be our de-facto #1 this year and by next year (or trade deadline this year) we would move him & go with a top 3 of pleks/eller/galy. But DD needed time to get his trade value up and that may or may not happen as the season hangs in the balance.

Its why the lockout could definitely hurt the "DD Plan." I think that the hope was he would be our de-facto #1 this year and by next year (or trade deadline this year) we would move him & go with a top 3 of pleks/eller/galy. But DD needed time to get his trade value up and that may or may not happen as the season hangs in the balance.

Don't let Anti'Chamber know that. :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

I dont know what is wrong with him, but he looks completely lost out there. Consistently make bad decisions with the puck, getting pushed around, and not creating anything for his linemates. It seems like Eller is going to be the one who ends up paying for it on that line too. This guy needs to wake up, and fast.

I'd give DD more minutes, actually. We're giving the Plekanec line too much ice time and it's going to burn out both Plekanec and Gionta. Let's roll the DD line more frequently and throw them out on the first shift of a PP.

Randy, is that you?! :lol:

I dont disagree that we used pleks and gio abit too much last night, but why put arguably our worst line so far this season out for more icetime? Would you not agree that our "3rd" line has earned more of that icetime? they've been far more productive so far.

Randy, is that you?! :lol:

I dont disagree that we used pleks and gio abit too much last night, but why put arguably our worst line so far this season out for more icetime? Would you not agree that our "3rd" line has earned more of that icetime? they've been far more productive so far.

When a skill forward is slumping, you need to give him every opportunity to break out of his slump. Sure, maybe we see Galchenyuk on first-wave PP unit more frequently, but I don't think you suddenly give the kid line DD's minutes at this early stage in the season. We're only five games in; now isn't the time to start demoting forwards. The issue with DD, as it's always been, is that he's not useful if you're not giving him prime OZone minutes, because he's not a complete enough player to credibly occupy other roles (in the way that Plekanec is, for example). We should be striving for a productive top-nine here, letting the Gallys get comfortable in their third-line role but still getting goals and points from DD, Cole, and (when healthy) Pacioretty. We need to stop making every skill forward's production come at the expense of another top-nine forward on our team.

When a skill forward is slumping, you need to give him every opportunity to break out of his slump. Sure, maybe we see Galchenyuk on first-wave PP unit more frequently, but I don't think you suddenly give the kid line DD's minutes at this early stage in the season. We're only five games in; now isn't the time to start demoting forwards. The issue with DD, as it's always been, is that he's not useful if you're not giving him prime OZone minutes, because he's not a complete enough player to credibly occupy other roles (in the way that Plekanec is, for example). We should be striving for a productive top-nine here, letting the Gallys get comfortable in their third-line role but still getting goals and points from DD, Cole, and (when healthy) Pacioretty. We need to stop making every skill forward's production come at the expense of another top-nine forward on our team.

Its funny, because im usually on your side of this making the very same argument :P

I honestly dont know what to do with that line, Eller is pretty much useless on the wing IMO, he always looks way better at center. So putting him on the wing with DD and cole isnt really putting him in a position to succeed, especially with DD playing the way he is. The only person that can help DD is himself, and I sure hope he does that soon.

Its funny, because im usually on your side of this making the very same argument :P

I honestly dont know what to do with that line, Eller is pretty much useless on the wing IMO, he always looks way better at center. So putting him on the wing with DD and cole isnt really putting him in a position to succeed, especially with DD playing the way he is. The only person that can help DD is himself, and I sure hope he does that soon.

Yup and Id suggest putting Eller in the middle but I dont think that DD can handle the board work that is required of a winger on that line.

The big problem is that the plekanec & galchenyuk lines are both going so well that we cant really split them so its either DD-Eller-Cole, or else you replace one of them with a 4th liner, which is obviously not ideal.

My hope is that one of these guys starts clicking soon. Cole looked decent 2 games ago, Eller had flashes the last game - if DD can get out of his funk, the 3 of them *should* begin to click.

Great to see him produce on the stats sheet but I still don't think he had the greatest game and going forward id rather see Eller in the second line center position then Desharnais. Don't know where that leaves him though.

Eller still has a lot to learn and hasn't proven anything yet. For now, Desharnais is still, in my opinion, a solid center. He's not the biggest or most complete center.. but you can at least expect him to produce points.

However, in two years, the team won't have enough space for Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller and Galchenyuk.

Pleky will stay for sure. Galchenyuk is the future.

The other two will likely leave the team. :(