The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

My concern about DD is that his success is linked to that of his wingers moreso than other top 6

centres. He is a hard worker and surprisingly effective along the boards against bigger players.

He also draws penalties with his speed and tenacity.

The problem is when his wingers are on vacation his production is going to stall since he isn't big

enough to create or force a play the way his full size contemporaries can. This has ben very evident

until the last 2 games.

Long term I am not convinced he is the right choice. PAtches is here for a long time but Cole is only

around for 2 more years and we aren't winning the Cup in 2 years.

I think if DD hits another slump then Eller deserves a shot at centering this line. Unless that move is tried

we don't know if it can be better than what happened last year.

I thought he was pretty poor in the Buffalo game despite getting on the score-sheet, but was happy to see some production. When your good players score, it's good... Even if they still aren't at the top of their game. Nice to see him follow it up with another goal against Ottawa. I missed the Sunday game. How was his performance?

I thought he was pretty poor in the Buffalo game despite getting on the score-sheet, but was happy to see some production. When your good players score, it's good... Even if they still aren't at the top of their game. Nice to see him follow it up with another goal against Ottawa. I missed the Sunday game. How was his performance?

He wasn't quite to his form of last year, but it looked to me like he is definitely getting back. His line isn't firing on all cylinders yet, but the ignition has been started, IMO.

i really like this guy but, you can kind of see the writing on the wall. with pleks, and gally as the logical #1 and #2 centres what will be his role? is he really big enough to take us to the top? i mean being good is ok but should we not be looking to be the best? it is not that he does not work hard or have tallent but in a seven game series against a big team? i don't know if can survive all the rounds to take a cup.

He hasn't played as good as last year - but niether have his linemates. In fact I'd say he's played better of the 3. They're rounding into shape though. He's getting way, way, too much grief.

He definitely hasn't played better than Pacioretty IMO and he was probably the worst for the first 5 or so games but he's really come on and Cole hasn't quite yet.

He simply hasn't been good enough this year. As Therrien would say, no excuses.

Agreed. He's underwhelmed with his performances, save for 2-3 games. That said, you don't trade players at their low point. Sell high, buy low. To ditch him now is quite pointless, and not good for the organization in the long run.

Guest habs1952

Agreed. He's underwhelmed with his performances, save for 2-3 games. That said, you don't trade players at their low point. Sell high, buy low. To ditch him now is quite pointless, and not good for the organization in the long run.

That's assuming his performance improves dramatically. Teams have learned to control Patches, Cole and DD by knocking DD off his feet. With your center man knocked off the puck and sitting on his butt his wingers are pretty much useless as has been the case for Patches and Cole. Heck, Pleky has more goals than those three combined.

That's assuming his performance improves dramatically. Teams have learned to control Patches, Cole and DD by knocking DD off his feet. With your center man knocked off the puck and sitting on his butt his wingers are pretty much useless as has been the case for Patches and Cole. Heck, Pleky has more goals than those three combined.

Yes, that's banking on DD playing better in the future, but the odds are that he won't do worse than he's doing now. He had a couple of good games (particularly with Eller on his wing), and the chances are that Cole and Pacman will start burying some pucks eventually. A similar thing happened with Gomez, when he had linemates like Gionta, Pouliot, Moen, Pyatt, and Lapierre, who failed to bury the chances he set them up for... Gomez ended up getting demoted, his value dropped, and we all know what happened after that. It would be easy to bury DD at the bottom of the line-up and use Pleks, Gally, and Eller as our centers going forward. But we're still a team that needs help on the wing and on defence, and DD could be an asset that fetches us another piece to build around the centers we choose to keep. The old management would be happy to cast off loose pieces for virtually nothing, and it's time we started trying to deal from a position of strength instead of panicking when our assets lose value and sending them off when they don't get you anything in return.

Yes, that's banking on DD playing better in the future, but the odds are that he won't do worse than he's doing now. He had a couple of good games (particularly with Eller on his wing), and the chances are that Cole and Pacman will start burying some pucks eventually. A similar thing happened with Gomez, when he had linemates like Gionta, Pouliot, Moen, Pyatt, and Lapierre, who failed to bury the chances he set them up for... Gomez ended up getting demoted, his value dropped, and we all know what happened after that. It would be easy to bury DD at the bottom of the line-up and use Pleks, Gally, and Eller as our centers going forward. But we're still a team that needs help on the wing and on defence, and DD could be an asset that fetches us another piece to build around the centers we choose to keep. The old management would be happy to cast off loose pieces for virtually nothing, and it's time we started trying to deal from a position of strength instead of panicking when our assets lose value and sending them off when they don't get you anything in return.

I said during the summer that if he wasnt in our long term plans, then was the time to move him. He was coming off a great season, had a full year at his tiny cap hit & would still be a RFA after that. With Plekanec, Galchenyuk and Eller in the mix i just cant see how he will get the ice time he had last year, meaning that his point total most likely wont get better.

People took my head off last year for suggesting that his performance was overachievement and not indicate of his actual caliber as a player. Maybe you can give me my head back now, please and thank you. ;) ;)

Seriously, though, I'm still hoping he can turn his game around and give us some decent production during what will likely be his final year as a Hab. We won't get anything for him, but if he can be part of a playoff charge, that's something, at any rate.

Seriously, though, I'm still hoping he can turn his game around and give us some decent production during what will likely be his final year as a Hab. We won't get anything for him, but if he can be part of a playoff charge, that's something, at any rate.

I dunno, if he can prove to be a top 6 calibre forward again, we could maybe get something of use for him at the deadline, but a playoff push would also be fun.

People took my head off last year for suggesting that his performance was overachievement and not indicate of his actual caliber as a player. Maybe you can give me my head back now, please and thank you. ;) ;)

I'm seriously doubting he could change his game around. What I've observed from him is that he is doing the work, he's hustling, trying to work along the boards, but he's simply too small for his position. Teams this season have zeroed in on him, shut down the set up guy and the snipers are left bullet-less.

I'm not seeing lazy play from him, I'm seeing a guy who's trying, but is up against a brick wall every time he has the puck. Opposing teams aren't giving him much room to work and without the size to create his own, it's not going anywhere.

If he was a big centre,he could create space for himself, but he has to rely on his teammates to do that for him. Which mean they're doing the dirty work instead of trying to find a spot on the ice to shoot from.

That's why suggested Gally at centre, as you said, he lacks experience for such an important role, but DD isn't that much more experienced than him. It's obvious by his play this season that he doesn't have an answer for his lack of production this season.

Although, I'd put Gally on the 2nd line and Pleks on the 1st unit(he and his line deserves a chance, they've been good so far). Gally's work so far has been good for a rookie. Still waiting for him to cool off and come down to earth, think it's just a matter of time. Why not try him on the 2nd line, he has good size for an 18 year old. He's shown he has quick hands, has incredible vision, strong skater and precises passes. Unfortunately that would send DD either to the 3rd line as a winger or 4th line centre.

I don't see DD in the habs future. Eller imo is a better 3rd line centre than D and he's too small to play the 4th line effectively. As bad as Ryan has been (maybe not bad, undisciplined), he's still a better option at centre for the 4th line. Just needs to be smarter and play a more disciplined game. He's cost us a few games so far, he's trying too hard (imo) to impress MT (he likes that type of hockey) and it's costing his team.

Hope the Habs are disciplined tonight. They're playing an offensive team that could make us pay if given the chance. Can't give T-Bay PP's or they'll put it in the back of our net.

He's going to have to get better performances out of Cole (and now Prust) to be effective, I guess. FirstStar is right. I don't see a player not trying. I see a player who is almost bewildered that he's not getting the space he had last year. He's getting closed in on way faster or his line-mates are not creating the space for him. I'm not sure. We all knew last season he was being massaged when he got to play with Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty. This year it's not working out as well and Desharnais is going to have to start making faster and smarter distribution decisions if he wants to find success. Perhaps the Prust experiment will actually work. For a few games anyway.

I didnt expect Galchenyuk to be on our roster this season. I figured we had at least one more year of DD-Pleky-Eller

lol..........H I /O

"......It’s been suggested, by more than a few members of the Commentariat, that DD would have been watching games from the pressbox if his name were Dennis Drummond......"

lol..........H I /O

"......It’s been suggested, by more than a few members of the Commentariat, that DD would have been watching games from the pressbox if his name were Dennis Drummond......"

Perhaps when Nokelainenen is ready to go he may still be watching games from the pressbox... unless he turns it around.