The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I'm seriously doubting he could change his game around. What I've observed from him is that he is doing the work, he's hustling, trying to work along the boards, but he's simply too small for his position. Teams this season have zeroed in on him, shut down the set up guy and the snipers are left bullet-less.

I'm not seeing lazy play from him, I'm seeing a guy who's trying, but is up against a brick wall every time he has the puck. Opposing teams aren't giving him much room to work and without the size to create his own, it's not going anywhere.

I tend to agree, but he should be capable of producing more than his current clip. I'd really try to give him some quality time on the PP, where his lack of size and strength aren't as much of an issue and he has more space to operate and set up his teammates for scoring chances. He's not going to break out of his scoring slump playing with guys like Prust.

Something else that was lost about the game last night is the fact that DD won 11 of 19 faceoffs. Nobody else came close to those numbers. I thought he played a much better game last night. I wouldn't be tossing him on the 4th line just yet.

I've actually been impressed with DD's play as of late.

The way he started the season, I really thought his top line days were over and maybe even his NHL career. But as he's done throughout his whole career, he's found a way around it and managed to adapt.

Regardless, I don't see him with the habs in the future. Eller's been turning it on lately, Pleks, well... Pleks, is such an important piece to the habs offense and defense, can play in just about every situation and do it well. Gally, what can I say that hasn't already been said...

That leaves DD with the 4th line and despite his hustle and adaptability, is simply too small and not the right type of player for a grinder role.

If we can get something good for him at trade deadline, I say we should take it. Hopefully he continues to produce and we may be able to ship him off for good draft pic. Let's say T-Bay is pushing for a playoff spot and St Louis goes down, they may be willing to take DD off our hands. He's no St Louis, but he's affordable and a decent play maker. Would make a good fill in case Marty went down with an injury. Since his salary is affordable, T-Bay won't have to worry about the cap once Marty is able to play.

I used T-Bay and St Louis as an example, but it could go for any other team missing a key piece to injury.

I don't know...If we continue doing good we might wanna make a run in the playoffs. I'd rather deal him at the draft.

Holding onto him could give us some insurance in case injuries hit us down the middle. At the moment we have 3 centres capable of sliding into the 2nd line if need be. As impressive as Gally has been, it might be a little much for him to handle right now-He could probably do it if we were stuck.

DD, Pleks and Eller are all capable of playing in our top 6. For once, we actually have some depth down the middle.

I don't know, as aforementioned, it may be a good idea to hold onto him for insurance. But I wouldn't turn down all offers simply for insurance. If we fall upon a desperate team making a playoff push, we could get lucky.

All depends on where we are and what we could get in return come the deadline.

I've actually been impressed with DD's play as of late.

The way he started the season, I really thought his top line days were over and maybe even his NHL career. But as he's done throughout his whole career, he's found a way around it and managed to adapt.

Regardless, I don't see him with the habs in the future. Eller's been turning it on lately, Pleks, well... Pleks, is such an important piece to the habs offense and defense, can play in just about every situation and do it well. Gally, what can I say that hasn't already been said...

That leaves DD with the 4th line and despite his hustle and adaptability, is simply too small and not the right type of player for a grinder role.

If we can get something good for him at trade deadline, I say we should take it. Hopefully he continues to produce and we may be able to ship him off for good draft pic. Let's say T-Bay is pushing for a playoff spot and St Louis goes down, they may be willing to take DD off our hands. He's no St Louis, but he's affordable and a decent play maker. Would make a good fill in case Marty went down with an injury. Since his salary is affordable, T-Bay won't have to worry about the cap once Marty is able to play.

I used T-Bay and St Louis as an example, but it could go for any other team missing a key piece to injury.

I suggested T-Bay for the Boucher connection, I think hed be jumping for joy if he could get DD

Holding onto him could give us some insurance in case injuries hit us down the middle. At the moment we have 3 centres capable of sliding into the 2nd line if need be. As impressive as Gally has been, it might be a little much for him to handle right now-He could probably do it if we were stuck.

DD, Pleks and Eller are all capable of playing in our top 6. For once, we actually have some depth down the middle.

I don't know, as aforementioned, it may be a good idea to hold onto him for insurance. But I wouldn't turn down all offers simply for insurance. If we fall upon a desperate team making a playoff push, we could get lucky.

All depends on where we are and what we could get in return come the deadline.

Ya, I know. If we could get something good, than do it. But I'm just saying that I'd rather deal him at the draft when we don't need him than at the deadline when he could help us make a run or fill in if somebody gets injured.

Ya, I know. If we could get something good, than do it. But I'm just saying that I'd rather deal him at the draft when we don't need him than at the deadline when he could help us make a run or fill in if somebody gets injured.

Think he may be in the final year of his contract. If hat's the case, we'd have to sign him and then trade him or trade him days before his contract expires. Usually don't get much in return in those cases... The team acquiring him only gets a few day to make a deal.

I'll have to go check, but pretty sure he's close to the end of his contract.

My mistake, he has one year left on his entry level contract.

So we could technically wait til the offseason. You sometime get more in return at the deadline... Desperate teams.

So we could technically wait til the offseason. You sometime get more in return at the deadline... Desperate teams.

I agree, but he's not known as a playoff performer(only played 5 playoff games, had one point) and small guys aren't really worth as much as bigger guys are going into the playoffs. But there could always be a team with an injury or something.

If DD continues to play half decent, then i don't see how he gets moved. Bergevin is already on record saying he wants to increase the French content of the team when possible. To trade a DD would go against that philosophy. I find it hard to believe he's being targeted as a moveable asset, unless another French Canadian roster player is part of the return.

If DD continues to play half decent, then i don't see how he gets moved. Bergevin is already on record saying he wants to increase the French content of the team when possible. To trade a DD would go against that philosophy. I find it hard to believe he's being targeted as a moveable asset, unless another French Canadian roster player is part of the return.

He just seems to be the odd man out since we have Galchenyuk, Plekanec, and Eller...

He just seems to be the odd man out since we have Galchenyuk, Plekanec, and Eller...

You must be talking about next year,,,right???

Things could change going forward. They might decide that Chuckie is just as valuable as a winger, or that it's Eller they want to move because of a great offer from another team that fills a hole. I don't have a problem at all with moving DD if a good offer comes along. Based on our current GM and his vision for the team,,, it's doubtful IMO.

You must be talking about next year,,,right???

Things could change going forward. They might decide that Chuckie is just as valuable as a winger, or that it's Eller they want to move because of a great offer from another team that fills a hole. I don't have a problem at all with moving DD if a good offer comes along. Based on our current GM and his vision for the team,,, it's doubtful IMO.

Next year's still a long ways away, personnel-wise, as you insinuated. In terms of guys who could challenge for forward spots, you would hope Leblanc comes to camp next fall with a roster spot on his mind. Some say Kristo might be able to make the jump right to the NHL, assuming he signs. Dumont should be ready for lower-line duty. And there's no way of knowing whether we'll have a shot at any free agents or perhaps move up in the draft and get a shot at an NHL-ready prospect. One thing's for certain: we don't have high-end talent quite yet, but we have decent depth at forward this season and should have it again next year. So there will be opportunity to move DD, especially if his contract demands are unreasonable. At present, unless he explodes offensively this season, he's sitting on one good season, so I'd peg him somewhere in the 2.5-3.5M range for a contract AAV.

Guest habs1952

Think he may be in the final year of his contract. If hat's the case, we'd have to sign him and then trade him or trade him days before his contract expires. Usually don't get much in return in those cases... The team acquiring him only gets a few day to make a deal.

I'll have to go check, but pretty sure he's close to the end of his contract.

My mistake, he has one year left on his entry level contract.

DD is an RFA after this season.