The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

You must be talking about next year,,,right???

Things could change going forward. They might decide that Chuckie is just as valuable as a winger, or that it's Eller they want to move because of a great offer from another team that fills a hole. I don't have a problem at all with moving DD if a good offer comes along. Based on our current GM and his vision for the team,,, it's doubtful IMO.

Yes, I'm talking about next year.

IMO, he should be part of our long term plans. He's shown he can play, and his chemistry with Pacioretty is incredible. He may be the odd man out at center, but he could probably convert to wing over the offseason/training camp.

A Desharnais-Galchenyuk-Pacioretty line would look really good next year.

Well... with David playing the way he has lately it is hard to knock his size as much. With Gallagher on the wing his passion has been revived and acceptance of physical play not an issue.

The question will always be... can they keep it up for players the size of Desharnais and Gallagher? Maybe gravity plays in their favor nearer to the ice where the puck is. ;)

Heating up now and it's nice to see. Mostly it's because Pacioretty is hot, but that's how it goes for most playmakers. If that line can be consistent for the remainder of the season, there will be less pressure on the Plekanec line in all situations.

Plekanec is getting pressure relief from both directions lately: DD's line scoring and Eller's line defensively.

DD has really looked good lately (agree, some of the credit goes to Patches who is in complete beast-mode since that flukey goal) and i wonder what they will do long term.

DD has really looked good lately (agree, some of the credit goes to Patches who is in complete beast-mode since that flukey goal) and i wonder what they will do long term.

Not sure either, but it's a good problem to have. With the way Galchenyuk has tailed off recenty, I'm not so sure that re-signing DD to a one or two-year deal wouldn't be the right move this summer. But of course, if Bergevin wants to be a player for some big-name forward, all bets are off...

Not sure either, but it's a good problem to have. With the way Galchenyuk has tailed off recenty, I'm not so sure that re-signing DD to a one or two-year deal wouldn't be the right move this summer. But of course, if Bergevin wants to be a player for some big-name forward, all bets are off...

Thing is though, even with Gally cooling off (and so far its only been for a couple of weeks) you still have Pleks and Eller down the middle. Its a very tough situation because DD has an amazing amount of offensive vision, he just is very limited on how & where you could play him.

I certainly would have no problem resigning him to a 1 year deal but I think he may be hoping for a long term deal & at this stage of his career, he has likely earned it.

But can Eller be a top-six center? We still don't know. He has stretches of production, and stretches where he looks very ordinary. Can he throw up 15 goals and 50 points on the second line year after year? DD is one-dimensional, but his dimension addresses a need for us: offense. Then there's his ability to feed Pacioretty, which is not a small factor. Couldn't we keep him on a one-year deal, then flip him at next year's trade deadline?

But can Eller be a top-six center? We still don't know. He has stretches of production, and stretches where he looks very ordinary. Can he throw up 15 goals and 50 points on the second line year after year? DD is one-dimensional, but his dimension addresses a need for us: offense. Then there's his ability to feed Pacioretty, which is not a small factor. Couldn't we keep him on a one-year deal, then flip him at next year's trade deadline?

I'm leaning towards retaining him being the right decision as well. After moving Cole's contract and having that compliance buyout in our back pocket, we could actually afford to re-sign him and probably still go after a big name player. Patches will be a good player with anyone, but so far he's been at his best with DD. I'm not saying we should keep DD just because Patches likes him, but Max is clearly most confident when DD is centering him. If keeping David makes Patches a dominant PPG+ player, I think you do it as long as his salary demands aren't insane.

As a bonus, he's become about the only sure thing we have in shootouts.

It makes me laugh,when people ask if DD or Gally can keep it up because of their size,size has nothing to do with anything,it is all about conditioning,inner strength and a lot of things,a small person has less wieght to carry around,the best long distance runners in the world are really small or tall and very thin,the fastest man in the world Usain Bolt,should not be able to run like he does because he is 6-4, according to the experts,the strongest player in the league per pound of body wieght is Cammi,you look at football players some of the big guys who look fat can really run,DD is strong inside and out,it might be easy for the big guys to push him over,he needs less space to fall and he never stays down long he is up in nano seconds and still has the puck,size has really nothing to do with durability.So many people equate size with the best of everything take it from a 5 ft stick of dynamiteit just ain't so.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

I think Desharnais's situation almost mirros the position we were in with Halak a few summers ago. On the one hand, the player brings value to the team, but one has to guess that in the long run, a guy like DD is just sitting down the depth chart and that you might be able to get more value from a trade than you can by having him play a limited role, as was the case with Halak.

Personally, I believe Eller can be a top 6 cente. Although he's yet to have proven it, I think he's been one of our best two-way players over the entire season (minus the first 2-3 games) and he's improved upon his puck distribution skills and net drive this year, two things he's been lacking in the past. Even if Eller doesn't become a top 6 center, it doesn't preclude using Plekanec and Galchenyuk in those roles and once again, you come back to the question of whether DD has more value to us by staying here in some other capacity of if he has more value as trade bait. In the end, he's doing well again with Pacioretty, but you also have to wonder whether Pacman's skill could make another center look better too. Maybe we use Pacioretty to boost Desharnais's value and then ship DD out while using Pacioretty to solidify Plekanec or Eller's line. I don't know what the right answer is.

The downside is that I think we need to make the decision on Eller and Desharnais at the end of this year because I think we'll be hard-fought to cram our 4 centers into the line-up next season, especially with DD's contract up for negotiation. If he tails off, is he really worth keeping and playing over the other guys? If he continues to have success, is he going to want a multi-year deal in the 3.5-4M range? In the latter case, signing him to too long or too rich a deal brings down his trade value and keeping him for one year means we'd need to continue playing him quality minutes so that the value he has doesn't drop. At present, I could see his agent comparing him to a guy like Grabovski, who's grossly overpaid by the Leafs but who could prove to be a costly comparable for us. For those reasons, I think you need to play Eller in the top 6 this season and figure out if he's got what it takes, so you can make your move on deaing DD at the draft.

I think Desharnais's situation almost mirros the position we were in with Halak a few summers ago. On the one hand, the player brings value to the team, but one has to guess that in the long run, a guy like DD is just sitting down the depth chart and that you might be able to get more value from a trade than you can by having him play a limited role, as was the case with Halak.

Personally, I believe Eller can be a top 6 cente. Although he's yet to have proven it, I think he's been one of our best two-way players over the entire season (minus the first 2-3 games) and he's improved upon his puck distribution skills and net drive this year, two things he's been lacking in the past. Even if Eller doesn't become a top 6 center, it doesn't preclude using Plekanec and Galchenyuk in those roles and once again, you come back to the question of whether DD has more value to us by staying here in some other capacity of if he has more value as trade bait. In the end, he's doing well again with Pacioretty, but you also have to wonder whether Pacman's skill could make another center look better too. Maybe we use Pacioretty to boost Desharnais's value and then ship DD out while using Pacioretty to solidify Plekanec or Eller's line. I don't know what the right answer is.

The downside is that I think we need to make the decision on Eller and Desharnais at the end of this year because I think we'll be hard-fought to cram our 4 centers into the line-up next season, especially with DD's contract up for negotiation. If he tails off, is he really worth keeping and playing over the other guys? If he continues to have success, is he going to want a multi-year deal in the 3.5-4M range? In the latter case, signing him to too long or too rich a deal brings down his trade value and keeping him for one year means we'd need to continue playing him quality minutes so that the value he has doesn't drop. At present, I could see his agent comparing him to a guy like Grabovski, who's grossly overpaid by the Leafs but who could prove to be a costly comparable for us. For those reasons, I think you need to play Eller in the top 6 this season and figure out if he's got what it takes, so you can make your move on deaing DD at the draft.

I think that's a fair analysis. The biggest wildcard right now though is Galchenyk: you have to imagine at some point you have to imagine himself and Plekanec being our top two centers, but as long as you can keep him at wing you avoid the main problem. Once Gally has the #1 or #2 spot at center, I think we have a few main options:

1.) trade DD, Eller, or Pleks

2.) move Plekanec to third line to fulfill more of a pure checking role (will still get top matchoffs, but in theory will only have our 5th and 6th best wingers alongside him

3.) convert Eller to winger, make DD 3rd line winger (presumably 3rd line will just be depth scoring line, not checking)

4.) convert DD to winger, make Eller 3rd line winger (3rd line could be checking or depth scoring).

(1) may make some sense, but with all the players seeming to thrive here, I don't really like the sounds of it. (2) seems like a waste of talent and money unless Pleks offensive game really declines. (3) is possible but somewhat problematic: you can make the 3rd line a low-end scoring line but DD has proven he belongs in the top-six and he really needs good players surrounding him: giving him 3rd line wingers is likely setting him up for failure.

So that leaves (4), which may be the best choice if DD could adjust: presumably we can find room in the top-six alongside Pacioretty, his size may be a little less problematic, and Eller fills that third line role well: plays a good overall game so can make it more of a checking or depth scoring line, can play well without having great talent on his wings, but also hasn't shown enough to necessarily feel entitled to a roll in the top-six, and can move up into the top-six in the case of injuries.

In any case, a lot of this depends on Galchenyk, if he hasn't improved much by the end of the season we can likely delay the decision for a little while, but at some point you have to imagine he causes a ripple effect at center.

The thing with Halak/Price situation is, you can only play one goalie at a time. Something had to give. You can find icetime for multiple good centermen though, even if it means some of them have to play wing.

I look at Boston for example:

Bergeron

Seguin

Marchand

Krejci

Peverley

Those guys are all natural centermen and all top 6 calliber guys with the exception of Peverly who is more of a fringe top 6 guy offensively (kind of where I see Eller heading actually). They also have Horton, who I think was a centerman at one point but I'm honestly not sure.

They STILL went out and got Peverly even though they had Krejci and Bergeron + Seguin and Marchand in the system. I don't know, I for one am enjoying having some depth down the middle for once and am a bit hesitant to throw that away.

The thing with Halak/Price situation is, you can only play one goalie at a time. Something had to give. You can find icetime for multiple good centermen though, even if it means some of them have to play wing.

I look at Boston for example:

Bergeron

Seguin

Marchand

Krejci

Peverley

Those guys are all natural centermen and all top 6 calliber guys with the exception of Peverly who is more of a fringe top 6 guy offensively (kind of where I see Eller heading actually). They also have Horton, who I think was a centerman at one point but I'm honestly not sure.

They STILL went out and got Peverly even though they had Krejci and Bergeron + Seguin and Marchand in the system. I don't know, I for one am enjoying having some depth down the middle for once and am a bit hesitant to throw that away.

Mhmm. I think Eller could be a good winger, big bodied, can win puck battles and has a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Montreal Canadiens expected to announce contract extension for David Dersharnais on Friday

-@darrendreger

Not a bad move in general IMO, Desharnais has trade value and gives us options down the middle. Having him around also means there's no real need to force Galchenyuk into a more prominent role. It all depends on term/Cap hit obviously.

Very intresting news....Especially, timing is a head scratcher...Why now? We could adress this at the offseason, after a playoff run in which we could evaluate Desharnais, under high competition and stressfull situations. Also there are no other contracts up, so a potential Desharnais reward contract, could put an example to players during a pro contract period. To me there are two big options, and we will find out once we see the salary and the term of the contract, if so ever.

If DD resigns a short term 2-3 years contract at the 1,5-2,5M range, then i guess MB wants his options opened in either retaining him rather cheap, or trading him with a cheap contract but with some term, so he can have some leverage in negotiations. Actually this contract it self will rise DD's value, because it obviously will be a rise that justifies his lately production, and elevates him from a might be player, to a sure thing player.

If DD resigns a long term 4-5 years contract at the 2,5-4M range, then i guess MB is conviced that he will play at the 1-2 center spot at the future and wants to engage him long term. This perhaps means that one of Plekanec or Eller, with the odds on the first one, are already considered as trade bates.

I first read the potential DD resigning at the HF Boards and i found some fan contract predictions posts, quite entertaining. Of course i don't think that DD is worth, as of now, of a 4-4,5M contract. I was thinking that a fair contract for both parts, would be a 2Y/3,5M contract with an anual cap hit of 1,75M. This will buy some time for DD to stabilize his performance and maintain his maturation pace, while doubling his currrent contract, and will protect the organization on investing in a player that if he declines, will be very hard to move from. This kind of contract is more than what Eller will make for the next two years, at the end of which, we can deside with whom we are going forward, or how we can retain both.

On one hand it's hard to see how he, Eller and Gally can all fit into our long term plans. On the other hand, though, having too many options for young top line centres is a problem that I can live with :). It really depends on what the contract looks like, I suppose, but as long as we're not breaking the bank depth, especially high-end depth, is never a bad thing.

I never saw this issue that so many others did about wanting to only have 2 top 6 caliber natural centers in the line-up. Having a lack of good natural centers in the line up is a big problem. I just don't find the reverse to be true.

To me, if you have a few good young players with complimentary skill sets, you keep them. A ton of great players come to the NHL as natural centers and end playing wing. This will be a bit of a rehash from another post I made, but Boston has the following natural centers on their roster right now:

- Patrice Bergeron

- Brad Marchand

- David Krejci

- Tyler Seguin

- Rich Peverley

Nathan Norton is listed as a RW but he played center before coming over as well (I think). Peverley is kind of fringe and plays on the 3rd line, but the rest of those guys (including Horton) are essentially Boston's top 6.