The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#51 David Desharnais 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Mhh... that's definitely a bit of a head-scratcher if the numbers are right. Depth at center is a great problem to have but 4 years? Sooner or later Galchenyuk will take over Desharnais' spot and I doubt Davey is going to be effective on any other than a scoring line. Plekanec remains our best overall forward and Eller has been playing quite well recently, plus he's the only center with size we currently have. Hmmm indeed.

Well, 4 years at 3.5 per is a very tradeable contract for a guy like DD. I just hope the plan isn't to trade Plekanec when Galchenyuk is ready for prime time.

I think it's a lot more likely to shift DD and/or Eller to the wing if and when Galchenyuk is ready for prime time. (Note the "if" reffers Galyl being a center, I have no doubt about the prime time part B) ).

I think the contract is another win for MB. Sure it came earlier then expected or needed for that matter but DD has been a great talent for the HABS to have in their lineup. Even with his lack of size he is a formable opponant that plays well beyond his T-shirt size. Also as a hockey player myself the abundance of developing centers in the lineup is not a problem. Center is the hardest position to play as a forward, you can do it or you can't. It is far easier to have a center move to a wing then vice versa.

The dollar value is fair and not in the realm of CAP damaging. As long as the little guy keeps banging it out each night all of Habs nation can be happy with this deal.

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. The cap hit isn't terrible, but locking us into four more years of DD is a bit odd, given Eller's emergence and Galchenyuk obviously projected to be a top-six center at some point. Not a horrible contract, not a great one either TBH.

If I had to guess, I'd say the org projects Galchenyuk as the no. 1 center within 3-4 years, at which point Tomas, who'll be in his mid-30s by then, would drop down into the third-line two-way center role. So I guess DD at second-line center gives us offensive stability in the top six? I dunno, it just seems weird to throw term at a small perimeter forward who needs sheltering and stud linemates just to be a 60-point-pace player. And it means that one of Gally or Eller will have to move to the wing.

I think it's a lot more likely to shift DD and/or Eller to the wing if and when Galchenyuk is ready for prime time. (Note the "if" reffers Galyl being a center, I have no doubt about the prime time part B) ).

Galchenyuk, yes. DD, no. I cannot, in any way shape or form, see Desharnais being effective on the wing. It's not even size per se. It's his size combined with his inability to play a physical game. Gallagher and Gionta are small wingers who play bigger than their body frame. DD is a perimeter player.

I'm not overly surprised based on MB's promise to augment/maintain the French content of the team. If you are serious about that commitment. then you don't let a decent talent like DD walk. I don't have a problem with the deal at all. DD is a young player and we've just tied up his prime years at reasonable money. It obviously means he's one of our top 3 centers for awhile (baring a trade) and it's a fact/problem that i can live with. Is Eller next??

Well, this is a bit of a surprise. The cap hit isn't terrible, but locking us into four more years of DD is a bit odd, given Eller's emergence and Galchenyuk obviously projected to be a top-six center at some point. Not a horrible contract, not a great one either TBH.

If I had to guess, I'd say the org projects Galchenyuk as the no. 1 center within 3-4 years, at which point Tomas, who'll be in his mid-30s by then, would drop down into the third-line two-way center role. So I guess DD at second-line center gives us offensive stability in the top six? I dunno, it just seems weird to throw term at a small perimeter forward who needs sheltering and stud linemates just to be a 60-point-pace player. And it means that one of Gally or Eller will have to move to the wing.

Galchenyuk, yes. DD, no. I cannot, in any way shape or form, see Desharnais being effective on the wing. It's not even size per se. It's his size combined with his inability to play a physical game. Gallagher and Gionta are small wingers who play bigger than their body frame. DD is a perimeter player.

I personally don't think it takes that much more physicality to play wing vs center TBH. There are successful playmaking wingers who aren't particularly physical. When I look at the two man forecheck we employ right now I'd say the center is actually more consistently working the corners/cycling the boars since he is usually in there with one of the wingers.

I think complimentary strenghts are more important. For example, DD on Gomez's wing would probably be a disaster (even when Scott was playing OK). DD on the wing of a big strong center like Eller would work out fine I think.

None of this is to say I think we need to or should convert DD to wing, but I think it will be a valid option down the road if needed. Anyway, he compares very favourably to other forwards on similar contracts IMHO so should be moveable as well if we decide that's the way to go. I wasn't quite comfortable moving him yet TBH so I do like that we got a deal done.

I personally don't think it takes that much more physicality to play wing vs center TBH. There are successful playmaking wingers who aren't particularly physical. When I look at the two man forecheck we employ right now I'd say the center is actually more consistently working the corners/cycling the boars since he is usually in there with one of the wingers.

I think complimentary strenghts are more important. For example, DD on Gomez's wing would probably be a disaster (even when Scott was playing OK). DD on the wing of a big strong center like Eller would work out fine I think.

None of this is to say I think we need to or should convert DD to wing, but I think it will be a valid option down the road if needed. Anyway, he compares very favourably to other forwards on similar contracts IMHO so should be moveable as well if we decide that's the way to go. I wasn't quite comfortable moving him yet TBH so I do like that we got a deal done.

Wingers who play a perimeter game with success are almost always bigger and stronger than DD and goalscorers primarily. If you're coming free on the cycle, it means you're setting up for either a quick shot on net or a scrum in the blue paint. That's not Desharnais's game. I just can't see him at wing TBH, especially when his strength is puck distribution. I'd rather move Eller to the wing than DD.

Wingers who play a perimeter game with success are almost always bigger and stronger than DD and goalscorers primarily. If you're coming free on the cycle, it means you're setting up for either a quick shot on net or a scrum in the blue paint. That's not Desharnais's game. I just can't see him at wing TBH, especially when his strength is puck distribution. I'd rather move Eller to the wing than DD.

I agree, and I actually think Eller has looked like a winger through his recent dominant stretch. I'm actually hoping he could be a poor man's Marian Hossa for us.

I agree, and I actually think Eller has looked like a winger through his recent dominant stretch. I'm actually hoping he could be a poor man's Marian Hossa for us.

Yes, I've noticed that too. His play of late really makes me think that he could be a physical top-six winger for us, rather than a 15-50 center. So if we move him to wing, DD can continue to feed Pacioretty pucks, and we give ourselves options in case one of our centers gets injured.

The way I see it is:

He's helping us now, we can sign him for a decent cap hit for 4 years...if in 1 or 2 we no longer need him we should have absolutely no problem finding takers with this cap hit and term. I dont expect him to be moved for at least one year after signing this (I think the team owes him at least a year or a couple of years after he's clearly taken a bit of a discount to stay here) but at some point, should we decide to move him, this contract should actually make him MORE appealing in a deal, rather than a RFA or another 1 or 2 year deal.

Yes, I've noticed that too. His play of late really makes me think that he could be a physical top-six winger for us, rather than a 15-50 center. So if we move him to wing, DD can continue to feed Pacioretty pucks, and we give ourselves options in case one of our centers gets injured.

Also agree. Its no coincidence imho that Lars is playing centre & has arguably our highest skilled centre as his winger. Let the two of them develop chemistry & at a certain point start to slowly swap their positions. After the faceoff they tend to shift around anyway.

I like this signing for a few reasons.

1. I know some people said the timing was odd, and I didn't expect it much at all. But he has been playing well, and if he had a good rest of the season and playoffs, the price tag would probably be much higher in the offseason.

2. Having too much depth at center is never a bad thing, but I think, as mentioned above, at the end of the day Eller or DD can move to wing, and then we won't have much of a problem. With the way DD-Pacioretty and Eller-Galchenyuk have been playing together, that could be two good combos for years to come.

3. Even if that's not the case, this is a very manageable contract. It won't be a deterrent for trades, I don't think, and it also comes at a pretty fair price.

I also think that it is pretty important to emphasize the french connection. Not just to keep the french media civil, but also because morale can have a huge effect on performance. Player that like where they play typically play better. There is nowhere else Desharnais would rather play than Montreal, and I think it shows in his performance.

This is kind of how I see DD's role here over the next couple of years when I take in to account how the group of forwards is currently being used (of which I'm a fan). I'm not privy to actual strategy, but here is what I'm seeing and reading (based on people's analysis of zone starts and other stats):

Exploitation scoring line - Patches-DD-Gallagher (Lot's of ozone starts, their goal is score goals and not much else)

Two-way tough match up line - Some player-Pleks-Gionta (Gets most of the match ups against the other team's top line which includes a fair share of defensive zone starts. Good two players who can contribute offensively as well)

Secondary scoring line - Some player-Eller-Gally (used similarly to the first line. Not quite as many offensive zone starts but benefitting a lot form easier matchups).

Sacrificial/mop up line - Moen-Armstrong-White (highest percentage of defensive zone starts by far, their job is eat up the tough minutes so that the scoring lines have more time/opportunities to do their thing).

We know DD can be adequate in his current role, so we have that stability/security. We know Pleks is the best on the team by far at his current role, and that isn't like to change until his contract is up. Ideally, Gally will continue to develop, look elite in a couple years and be ready to slot up into DD's spot. At that point, DD moves to the Secondary scoring line where he can still provide very solid value, particularly combined with lots of PP time and a shootout goal when we need it. If it comes to a point when we run out of room for him to contribute, we trade him, but I honestly think that is two years away at the earliest.

Eller's development probably impacts DD as well. I personally think his game translates best to the wing and he could be an eventual great fit next to Pleks. (Maybe once Gionta's contract is up.)

HIO brings up an interesting point regarding the timing of MB making this announcement . Just happens to coincide with Tinordi's 1st practice with the team. That's one way to take a little spotlight / pressure off the kid. Smart move.

HIO brings up an interesting point regarding the timing of MB making this announcement . Just happens to coincide with Tinordi's 1st practice with the team. That's one way to take a little spotlight / pressure off the kid. Smart move.

It's an interesting theory I guess but you don't sign guys or even announce things like this for reasons like that. It maybe a little easier to buy if Tinordi was Galchenyuk or Price with all the expectations they had but he was a late 1st round pick who's playing his 1st game tomorrow night in New Jersey. I just can't see them being too worried.

On Desharnais, cap hit is fine, term isn't terrible given age it just surprised me. It's not bad, just seems random. Either way, glad for Desharnais to get paid, great story.

The signing is good for DD.

Just don't know what that means for some of our other centres. We have Gally, Lars, Pleks, white and a few more in Hamilton. Think LL's time with the habs is coming to an end.

I hope this doesn't mean the team has made it's choice regarding Eller and DD. Eller's been putting in a lot of work lately and being rewarded. Since his benching, Eller's been one of our better forwards.

We could always trade DD next season, just because we signed him to an extension doesn't mean we can't trade him (Erik Cole). Don't know what to make of this signing and what it means for some of our other forwards.

I think it's safe to say LL's days are numbered. As is with the current roster, we have too many centres, doesn't look good for LL.

We have 4 top six center's (IMO) in Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller, and Desharnais. We know eller and galchenyuk can play as wingers too. So imo I don't love the deal, I'd rather start transitioning eller into the top six, but it's still relatively cheap.

We have 4 top six center's (IMO) in Galchenyuk, Plekanec, Eller, and Desharnais. We know eller and galchenyuk can play as wingers too. So imo I don't love the deal, I'd rather start transitioning eller into the top six, but it's still relatively cheap.

Again though, if you are management & feel like Eller/Chuckie arent going to be "totally ready" for at least a year, maybe 2, then why not sign DD? With this cap hit & term, he's going to be tradeable so I dont see the harm.

. It's not bad, just seems random.

That's my take as well. It's like MB was sitting in his office going over his schedule for the day

9am: Read newspaper

9:30am Shuffle papers

10:am Coffee Break

10:30 - 12:00pm ?????

12pm Lunch

"hmm need to find something to do before lunch"

10:30-12:00pm - Give out random contract

Reading today's posts on this,agree with ya ll.......I like this signing,not outrageous

Again though, if you are management & feel like Eller/Chuckie arent going to be "totally ready" for at least a year, maybe 2, then why not sign DD? With this cap hit & term, he's going to be tradeable so I dont see the harm.

Agreed. And hey, maybe they will be ready, but one or both will be ready as wingers instead. I kind of don't see the obsession with this decision of immediately choosing one of DD and Eller and discarding the other.

I'll echo the general sentiment here, I think it's a good contract and DD's worth it, but I don't really get it. I'm not upset about it because it's a very team friendly contract, and I think DD's proven that he's not a fake (he hasn't proven he can't get by without Pacioretty and good minutes though). Having "too many" centers isn't a big problem, Galchenyuk is exciting but he's probably at least another year off from the point where he can be a top 6 guy for us in all situations. DD is a great insurance policy, and there's something to be said for the hometown hero factor.

I don't think he needs to prove anything to Therrien, insofar as I'm pretty sure the coaches know what DD is and isn't. He's not the guy you want to build a top line around, but he can distribute well, and when paired with wingers who can give him time and space in which to work, he can be a nice second-line scoring option. He's also a nice PP asset. It wouldn't have made as much sense to re-up a player like DD a few years ago when we were short on skilled, non-perimeter net presence, but with the rest of the top nine featuring guys like Pacioretty, Eller, Plekanec, Bourque, Gallagher, Gionta, and Galchenyuk, we can afford to utilize perimeter players like DD and Ryder in their appropriate roles. I still don't really get this signing from a timing perspective, but it's very cap-friendly, so I don't have a problem with it.

Exactly. I like the signing.