The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

The 3 goals against really aren't indicative of how he played. I mean, the last two goals are just plain unlucky for him (and even for our D I'd say).

#1 get thrown half hazzardly towards the net and probably goes in off a glove

#2 is a double bank shot off two Habs legs/skates that trickles in before he sees it

I was impressed with how he was able to shake it off and dominate the shootout.

I don't think there is a backup in the NHL that would put pressure on Carey...

depends who you see as backup or starting goalie... We need either a veteran or a young one with a great future behind Carey. I am not convinced by Budaj...

depends who you see as backup or starting goalie... We need either a veteran or a young one with a great future behind Carey. I am not convinced by Budaj...

Carey's an elite star so wasting assets to get a high end backup to play 10% of the games seems like a waste of time TBH.

Great article, he matured and grew a lot that season. He was a young cocky kid who had the starter position given to him. Meanwhile halak was paying his dues down in hamilton and should've been Huet's backup over carey. But Carey winning gold at the WJC and Calder with the dogs, he was called up before Halak. And in all honesty, Halak had done the hard work during the season to get his team in the playoffs, while he was tending in place of an injured Huet, price was getting all the glory in Hamilton.

He needed to be brought down a bit, but his maturity shown through as the article states... Instead of sulking, he became a team player and waited for his chance to play. What did he do, he came back the following season and had the best season of his short career, shutting up the critics and the loyal Halak fans (who weren't happy that Halak was traded).

This showed he had the the stones to be a number 1 in Montreal. He was able to shake off the bad criticism, the unhappy Halak fans and it didn't affect his game negatively. takes a very special tender to be a #1 in Montreal. Just look at the skates today's Hab tenders have to fill... Dryden, Plante, Roy.

Price took the Roy approach to the fans... Oh yeah, not happy that i stuck around and Halak was traded, well I'll show you why the habs kept me.

And he did it. Roy was a very confident and sometimes cocky tender that loved to prove everyone wrong. price has the same character which is why he should do well in Montreal. You still have a few die-hard halak fans, but most have been won over by Price since halak's departure.

Carey's an elite star so wasting assets to get a high end backup to play 10% of the games seems like a waste of time TBH.

Canadiens traded away Desjardins today for a young tender. have a feeling they`re hoping he could be Prices backup in the future. I believe Budaj is in his final year of his contract. In Tokarski they`re getting a young tender who some believe is still a promising prospect.

I didn`t like the Budaj signing. I thought Auld did a great job for us and he was cheaper than Budaj. Then Budaj surprised me last year, being a solid backup for price. This year though, he just doesn't have it.

have a feeling the lack of a pre-season (where the backup gets a lot of starts), hasn't helped shake off the rust, due to finishing in April and compounded by the long 4 month layoff.

You're right, any backup tender for Price isn't going to see much ice time unless Price is injured (knock on wood). So this young kid Tokarski may be a good option for next season. He'll come cheap, he could learn a lot from Price and he'll know his role.

Be interesting to see what they do with this kid.

Carey still hasn't been good enough to steal a game for the team this season. Just saying...

So we should trade a very good goalie who gives us a chance to win most games for an average goalie that has the ability to "steal" a few games a year?

Carey is a stud, he can play 65-70 games, he's basically universally recognized as an elite goalie. There's no point investing in a high priced backup, Carey doesn't need to be pushed, he doesn't need anything except to keep playing at a high level. He hasn't even reached his prime yet so we're a few years away from worrying a bit more about his workload.

Seems like an odd time to even gripe, he's won 8 of his 11 starts, .922 SV% and a 2.06 GAA for those who care about those stats. Small sample for sure but I just don't get why we're having this discussion right now. I still don't think he's hit peak form yet but he had no camp and wasn't playing during the lockout. Not worried. In fact, pretty excited about the possibilities.

I think he just means that when Halak was performing than there was a lot of pressure on Carey and that forced him to be the player he is now.

ah ok, got it now... B)

cos I think Carey came out a lot stronger than b4...

Seems like an odd time to even gripe, he's won 8 of his 11 starts, .922 SV% and a 2.06 GAA for those who care about those stats. Small sample for sure but I just don't get why we're having this discussion right now. I still don't think he's hit peak form yet but he had no camp and wasn't playing during the lockout. Not worried. In fact, pretty excited about the possibilities.

Agreed. I thought he might come out looking rusty but he's actually looked better for patches this year than Ive ever seen him. You can see the maturity in his game. I remember when we had guys like Theo & always had this worry in the back of my head about consistency. Price gives me none of those worries. the guy is just cool.

Finally. Shutout! B)

Yes!!!

yep it should have been two in a row!

Yes, and there should have been like 4 on the year, its crazy how many times he's been beaten late - not blaming him, just bad luck and some softer backchecking from his teammates in the later parts of games.