The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

so you say Halak was bad, then? :blink:

I think he just means that when Halak was performing than there was a lot of pressure on Carey and that forced him to be the player he is now.

I was actually referring to the fact that Carey didn't handle the competition with Halak well at all...guess I failed at that exercise in communication :lol:

IMO, he just needs a backup. No one to put pressure on him or anything, just someone who can give us a chance to win 10-15 times a (normal) year.

IMO, he just needs a backup. No one to put pressure on him or anything, just someone who can give us a chance to win 10-15 times a (normal) year.

Even though I think Budaj is possibly a "better goalie" than Auld, I think Auld was a much better backup because he had an uncanny ability to go long stretches without playing & then play well. Not many tenders can do that & I think thats partially why Budaj is having problems this year (small sample size of course). Most goalies thrive under a decent work load & with Carey taking so many games, that just isnt going to be possible for a backup here. We need to find that guy who can take a start every few weeks & look sharp - which is easier said than done.

Even though I think Budaj is possibly a "better goalie" than Auld, I think Auld was a much better backup because he had an uncanny ability to go long stretches without playing & then play well. Not many tenders can do that & I think thats partially why Budaj is having problems this year (small sample size of course). Most goalies thrive under a decent work load & with Carey taking so many games, that just isnt going to be possible for a backup here. We need to find that guy who can take a start every few weeks & look sharp - which is easier said than done.

Most goalie's play better with a heavier work load. Very few tenders can go long stretches on the bench without showing rust. Auld and a few other tenders are able to do that, but the majority need to play consistently. Not the best situation for Budaj, backup to a young, elite tender. He did well for us last year, can't ask for more from a backup. This year though, think the long layoff and lack of a preseason really left him unprepared for this season.

Most goalie's play better with a heavier work load. Very few tenders can go long stretches on the bench without showing rust. Auld and a few other tenders are able to do that, but the majority need to play consistently. Not the best situation for Budaj, backup to a young, elite tender. He did well for us last year, can't ask for more from a backup. This year though, think the long layoff and lack of a preseason really left him unprepared for this season.

Well, IMO, what may be even more difficult is for a team having to adjust to a different style/technique of goalie, which I believe Budaj is. That is why, I personally was not to keen on the Budaj signing. Auld played a similar style to Price... I thought he was fine... as a back-up.

The problem is coming to backup Carey when he's 25 years old is going to be a very unappealing job to the higher end backups. Carey should and will start a ton. I'd say 80% of the starts is probably the low end of what a normal year for Carey will be (65-66 starts).

Right now we should start taking some fliers on goalies in the later rounds, hoping 1 develops. I don't think it makes sense to waste high picks on goalies, there's a ton of goalie busts and a ton of goalies who come out of no where. We're set in net for a long time so we can sit back and take some fliers on guys, hope 1 hits and we have a valuable backup and possibly a trade commodity later on.

The problem is coming to backup Carey when he's 25 years old is going to be a very unappealing job to the higher end backups. Carey should and will start a ton. I'd say 80% of the starts is probably the low end of what a normal year for Carey will be (65-66 starts).

Right now we should start taking some fliers on goalies in the later rounds, hoping 1 develops. I don't think it makes sense to waste high picks on goalies, there's a ton of goalie busts and a ton of goalies who come out of no where. We're set in net for a long time so we can sit back and take some fliers on guys, hope 1 hits and we have a valuable backup and possibly a trade commodity later on.

Yup, we have no reason to be aiming for a star goalie in the first round because even if that guy's super-talented, there's no way he'll be able to establish value at the NHL level behind Carey. We're better off trying to groom someone into a back-up role, and if he's really that good, then we eventually deal someone away like we did with Halak... we're probably 4-5 years away from having to go looking for our future starter in the draft, maybe even longer if Carey continues to shine and signs another deal with us after his current one. At present, there are plenty of capable back-ups available each year who can give you 10-12 starts and it's not worth wasting a 1st rounder on to try to find a guy who gives you a 6-4 record instead of a 4-6 record.

Said he could play tomorrownight, practice today and practice tomorrow morning hopefully he will be good to go

If he's not 100% I'd say just throw out Budaj again. He's played decent the last two games and picked up two wins behind a good team effort. There's no need to rush Price back if he's still even a little ill.

Absolutely! I have always thought - even when a team is stocked with goalie prospects - that it never hurts to grab a tender with your last pick. Aside from absolutely elite tenders (price!) its tough to get a guy with a high pick & consider it a 'sure thing' - and as you mentioned, tons of great tenders have come out of nowhere, signed in the late rounds, so whats the harm.

You would have thought the puck was lined with velcro the way he played last night. Dominant. He didn't make a lot of highlight reel saves, but he had a way of controlling the game from the net, IMO. Can't put my finger on it, it just seems like he has that effect on a team. Much like Brodeur or Roy, IMO.

Fans around the league look at his numbers and underrate him, but as soon as they watch him play they see why he went 5th overall as a goalie.

Even Carey was waiting for the whistle,last night when that goal was scored against him,as was the rest of the team,that goal was just good luck for the Rags and bad luck for us.

GO HABS GO :lol: :lol:

Made a real nice stop of the first shot, couldn't get the rebound. The first save though may have been his best save of the night.

He looked so calm last night that you just had the feeling they'd need some kind of deflection or something to get another one by him.

He looked so calm last night that you just had the feeling they'd need some kind of deflection or something to get another one by him.

Frankly, he's been looking like that all year. We've had more than our fair share of talented goalies over the years but honestly I cant remember one who was as cool, game in and game out, as Price has looked for the last little while. I suspect Dryden was like that (i was a little too young to ever see him play) but even the great Pat Roy looked shaky at times. Price just seems unflappable. Gainey's "thoroughbred vs. baking bread" press conference debacle looks more and more true each day.

Frankly, he's been looking like that all year. We've had more than our fair share of talented goalies over the years but honestly I cant remember one who was as cool, game in and game out, as Price has looked for the last little while. I suspect Dryden was like that (i was a little too young to ever see him play) but even the great Pat Roy looked shaky at times. Price just seems unflappable. Gainey's "thoroughbred vs. baking bread" press conference debacle looks more and more true each day.

It's funny how things play out but the organization clearly never lost a bit of faith in him. With the way things have played out, hard to argue. Special players do special things. The best is yet to come.

Not the team's sharpest effort. Had the team actually played over the last 40 minutes we should have managed a win. Even with Price having an average outing.

If Carey would've had a super effort we may have managed a win ;) I'm still waiting to see him steal a game.