The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

If Carey would've had a super effort we may have managed a win ;) I'm still waiting to see him steal a game.

Well, not sure what your definition of steal is but we didn't exactly light the world on fire when we beat the Rangers on Tuesday. And though we played pretty well defensively, you probably have to give him a lot of the credit in a 1-0 OT win against the panthers. He played very well in the close 2-1 win against Ottawa on Super Bowl Sunday.

If by 'steal' you mean almost single handedly win us a game were we get absolutely dominated, I hope he doesn't get many opportunities to because it will mean we're playing like garbage.

Well, not sure what your definition of steal is but we didn't exactly light the world on fire when we beat the Rangers on Tuesday. And though we played pretty well defensively, you probably have to give him a lot of the credit in a 1-0 OT win against the panthers. He played very well in the close 2-1 win against Ottawa on Super Bowl Sunday.

If by 'steal' you mean almost single handedly win us a game were we get absolutely dominated, I hope he doesn't get many opportunities to because it will mean we're playing like garbage.

Holding the fort and keeping an opposing team off the score sheet when the Habs are being dominated... he has done it before. Sometimes that is what great teams have when they need it.

People always have said Carey doesn't steal games because even when we need to lean on him he makes saves look really easy and limits shots with great rebound control and puck play. If he's looking like he's making fabulous saves, it's usually because he's not at his best. When he's on, things look frighteningly easy for him. He's our backbone.

this.....seen a lot of that in the past,and I prefer to keep it there ;)

People always have said Carey doesn't steal games because even when we need to lean on him he makes saves look really easy and limits shots with great rebound control and puck play. If he's looking like he's making fabulous saves, it's usually because he's not at his best. When he's on, things look frighteningly easy for him. He's our backbone.

exactly, same thing for Roy. When he was diving all over the place it due to the fact he wasn't controlling his rebounds.

The butterfly and even more so the Hybrid is all about positioning. If you're well positioned, the puck should bounce off you.

Price is one of the most positionally sound goalies in the league. His rebounds are usually directed to the corners (unless it's a bad angle shot that gets directed into the slot), his saves seem effortless, which is how it's suppose to be.

Biron is playing tonight.

Could still be a low-scoring affair. He's had a pretty decent record against us, and he steps up his game to face the Habs mot of the time. Hopefully we can crack him with a couple of early ones and keep him off his game. He's not an overly big goalie, so the idea is to fire lots of shots and crash the net.

Now back in 1st in the league in wins with 10, with 2 shutouts, GAA of 1.97 (4th among goalies with at least 10 games) and SV% of 92.3% (8th for goalies with 10 games). He's been extremely solid all season and he's been so consistent, we've all stopped noticing how well he performs.

Bishop was the one to steal a game...

I don't really understand why you want to see Price steal a game, though. By definition if he steals it then it means that the team had a bad game. I'd rather have the team, Price included, play like we did against the Rangers. Price hasn't been "stealing games" this year because, for the most part, they haven't been there to steal.

Which games have we been completely outplayed in? The two against Toronto are really all that come to mind right off the bat, and at only 2-0 that first one could have been a whole lot worse if we'd had below-average goaltending. We've seen other goalies steal a lot of games in Montreal in the last ten years (Price, Halak, Huet, Theodore) but that's mostly because we've had bad teams. I don't really want to go back to that, thanks.

Sure Bishop stole the game tonight, but if Ottawa plays all year like they did tonight they aren't going to be in the playoffs. It's just not a sustainable way to win long term, with or without a hot goalie.

I don't really understand why you want to see Price steal a game, though. By definition if he steals it then it means that the team had a bad game. I'd rather have the team, Price included, play like we did against the Rangers. Price hasn't been "stealing games" this year because, for the most part, they haven't been there to steal.

Which games have we been completely outplayed in? The two against Toronto are really all that come to mind right off the bat, and at only 2-0 that first one could have been a whole lot worse if we'd had below-average goaltending. We've seen other goalies steal a lot of games in Montreal in the last ten years (Price, Halak, Huet, Theodore) but that's mostly because we've had bad teams. I don't really want to go back to that, thanks.

Sure Bishop stole the game tonight, but if Ottawa plays all year like they did tonight they aren't going to be in the playoffs. It's just not a sustainable way to win long term, with or without a hot goalie.

My belief is that in any close game regardless of the shot count, when your goalie does not let in any soft goals and the team wins... its a steal ;) It could mean he made the key saves when he had to.

What would you say when your team is lights out the best by a long margin and your goalie hands a gift to the other team that leads to a tie? It was a game that should have been won if your goalie made those key saves... not only because your team couldn't score.

My belief is that in any close game regardless of the shot count, when your goalie does not let in any soft goals and the team wins... its a steal ;) It could mean he made the key saves when he had to.

What would you say when your team is lights out the best by a long margin and your goalie hands a gift to the other team that leads to a tie? It was a game that should have been won if your goalie made those key saves... not only because your team couldn't score.

All it says is that the other team's goalie had a good night. Also we hit five posts.

What about at the end of the third period last night when the Sens finally got a bit of a surge and had two or three chances in close to Carey? Does that not count as him 'stealing' us a point? If your only criteria are winning a close game and not letting in any soft goals then I don't know how you can say Price hasn't stolen us any games this year. And I still think that you're working with some pretty arbitrary criteria to begin with - how is it better for a goalie to win a game 3 - 2, even with no soft goals (a steal!) than 3 - 0?

Price has been doing well statistically and he's been looking good on the ice while doing it. I know he'd probably love to have last night's goal back, but he wasn't the reason we lost the point. Even in the shootout, where he looked shaky, he still managed to stop 3 of 5. The guys just didn't get the job done offensively (despite the fact that they played a good all0around game as well). Them's the breaks.

All it says is that the other team's goalie had a good night. Also we hit five posts.

What about at the end of the third period last night when the Sens finally got a bit of a surge and had two or three chances in close to Carey? Does that not count as him 'stealing' us a point? If your only criteria are winning a close game and not letting in any soft goals then I don't know how you can say Price hasn't stolen us any games this year. And I still think that you're working with some pretty arbitrary criteria to begin with - how is it better for a goalie to win a game 3 - 2, even with no soft goals (a steal!) than 3 - 0?

I don't understand this crusade about stealing games either. By the definition he gave Carey's stolen games this year, the game against Ottawa, the 1-0 win vs Florida, the tight game vs NYR. I'm not saying he did or didn't but that we're arguing over a subjective term with random definitions.

Here's the reality, we've given up 30 or more shots 3 times in Carey's 15 starts, 3 times (we've actually won all 3), most people define stealing a game as the goalie standing on his head, making huge saves and Carey hasn't had to do that very often this year, so let's whine about it? He's stopping 92.5 of the shots he does face, giving up less than 2 goals per game, helping the team win in many ways. I just don't understand any issue.

It's funny though, people always say Carey had an issue game and a large part of is it that Carey makes it look so painfully easy when he's on. It's really a treat to have back there and it's why ex NHL goalies drool over his skill level when they discuss him.

Either way, so far it's been great. This is the first time we've had a team with Carey in net that doesn't give up 30+ shots regularly and a lot of goalies don't respond to facing 20 or less shots in a game very well so it's nice to see that for the most part Carey's handling it quite well and giving us a real steady presence every night.

As for last night, he looked uncomfortable. Not ideal but happens.