The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#31 Carey Price 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

My belief is that in any close game regardless of the shot count, when your goalie does not let in any soft goals and the team wins... its a steal ;) It could mean he made the key saves when he had to.

What would you say when your team is lights out the best by a long margin and your goalie hands a gift to the other team that leads to a tie? It was a game that should have been won if your goalie made those key saves... not only because your team couldn't score.

So... if the goal Bishop let in last night would have been a 'soft' goal, that performance wouldn't have counted as a steal?

The goal was soft but he came up big when we needed him to in the third.

Yes he did... and was able to steal a point for the Habs.

So... if the goal Bishop let in last night would have been a 'soft' goal, that performance wouldn't have counted as a steal?

Part right... he still would have the tie that he did steal.

My bad I guess... But geez all I said was Bishop did steal a game. It was not a crusade against Price.

Price did not have a good game against the sens.

It's one of 2 things...

Either:

1) the lack of shots kept him cold-He's not use to seeing the action from the oposite end of the rink. He's use to being the goalie who's seeing 30+ shots a game. He has to find a way to keep himself in games with low shot counts. In MT's system a lot of the play is at the other end and if Carey doesn't adjust he may let in other soft goals.

2) he's still feeling lingering effect of the flu.

I'm surprised RB is still out of the lineup. Rarely does a player with the flu miss more than a game or so.

It's one of 2 things...

Either:

1) the lack of shots kept him cold-He's not use to seeing the action from the oposite end of the rink. He's use to being the goalie who's seeing 30+ shots a game. He has to find a way to keep himself in games with low shot counts. In MT's system a lot of the play is at the other end and if Carey doesn't adjust he may let in other soft goals.

I'm surprised RB is still out of the lineup. Rarely does a player with the flu miss more than a game or so.

1) Maybe Price has to look at films where Dryden would lean on his goalstick... because of low shot counts.

2) According to TSN apparently RB has a concussion... when did that happen?

It's one of 2 things...

Either:

Or he just had an off game. All goalies have them. Price faced low shot totals against the Rangers and shut them out the game before. Carey has faced under 30 shots in a vast majority of his games and has good numbers this year. It's not a big worry. He hasn't been giving up a lot of weak goals. We tend to over analyze things but right now there's not much to be unhappy about when it comes to Carey.

The weak goal he looked lazy on, not bored or not yet into the game. Sometimes he does that whole "too nonchalant" thing and it costs him. Just a bad game.

Or he just had an off game. All goalies have them. Price faced low shot totals against the Rangers and shut them out the game before. Carey has faced under 30 shots in a vast majority of his games and has good numbers this year. It's not a big worry. He hasn't been giving up a lot of weak goals. We tend to over analyze things but right now there's not much to be unhappy about when it comes to Carey.

The weak goal he looked lazy on, not bored or not yet into the game. Sometimes he does that whole "too nonchalant" thing and it costs him. Just a bad game.

Not a bad game really... just a bad play.

Luxury problems if Price, even when struggling, has let in three goals in three games...

We're playing so well right now he's hard to assess, his movements haven't looked as fluid as they normally are and he's kicking out more rebounds but he's a superstar so the bar is really high. Either way, there will come a time in this condensed season when we need to lean on him and hopefully he's at his best then.

Wonderfully, we're in first place despite our franchise goalie not being on top of his game. That's pretty pretty great. Some of it (most of it) is on Carey, obviously, but some of it is rust. Much harder to be mentally sharp when you face 5 shots in a period. I saw the same thing happen last night in the Rangers-Lightning game. Rangers were just dominating Tampa in the first period, up 2-0, then Tampa scores a super-weak goal on something like their third shot of the entire frame. It happens. What we have to hope for is that Carey can elevate when the games become tight and we're not outshooting opponents 2-1 and keeping the puck out of our own end for lengthy stretches.

Carey really has to be at his best this weekend,playing the Pens Then the Gooins,Pleks will keep Baby out of the shooting lane so not so bothered about the Pens,but I really hate to lose the the Gooins ,TR and Carey have the same number of wins,so Carey will want to be number one,it's easy to forget how competative he is,it's going to be one great weeekend when we beat them both.

GO CAREY GO :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wonderfully, we're in first place despite our franchise goalie not being on top of his game. That's pretty pretty great. Some of it (most of it) is on Carey, obviously, but some of it is rust. Much harder to be mentally sharp when you face 5 shots in a period. I saw the same thing happen last night in the Rangers-Lightning game. Rangers were just dominating Tampa in the first period, up 2-0, then Tampa scores a super-weak goal on something like their third shot of the entire frame. It happens. What we have to hope for is that Carey can elevate when the games become tight and we're not outshooting opponents 2-1 and keeping the puck out of our own end for lengthy stretches.

Totally agree. I expect he'll see some more rubber this weekend seeing as we're same more evenly matched teams (it feels great to say that with a straight face when referring to Boston and Pitt :)). Hopefully some more consistent back and forth action helps him get into the game a little more.

If there's one thing that's been bugging me about Carey's play of late, it's his glove. I pointed out in the Islanders game that he seemingly has a habit of dropping his glove when going down; a few more issue came out of the woodwork during the Leafs game. On a few occasions, the puck hit him in the glove only to bounce out/be fumbled, and the one non-flukey goal actually hit him in the glove and went under (Carey actually stared at his glove in disbelief after the goal).

I know that anyone playing in the NHL has a ridiculous shot (even the real goons - I used to play pick-up with Andrew Peters [fists-on-skates for the Sabres a few years back], and his shot was crazy fast). It seems like Carey's glove-hand coordination is just...off. I'm not expecting big windmill glove saves, but it'd be nice to see him catch the puck on something more than a wrist shot from the top of the circle.

Positionally, the guy is super-sound, and this is a big reason why he doesn't have to make those crazy desperation saves. But it seems like getting him even slightly out of position and shooting glove side usually ends up in a goal.

I'm a goalie and this was always tough for me. When your team is dominating possession it's good in terms of GAA, but not necessarily SVP. I always found that when my team dominated I'd get scored on once or twice on a weak goal and we'd win 5-1 or 5-2 or something, but when it was even or we got outplayed I could hold the game to a 3-3 score and see what happened. Carey seems to be the same way, he can keep us in games we have no business being in, but when we dominate like we did in Toronto or Ottawa he can lose focus.

Carey seems to be the same way, he can keep us in games we have no business being in, but when we dominate like we did in Toronto or Ottawa he can lose focus.

Sens game is a good example. Weak goal, but came up big when we needed him in the third.

And that's what we need him to do going forward, especially if (as we're all hoping and praying) the team can turn the corner and became the kind of team that isn't always desperately scrabbling for a playoff spot in March. If and when we take that step into the upper echelon of the conference, it will be pointless to expect Carey to stand on his head in games we're dominating. At that point, he slides more into a Dryden-esque role, maybe giving up the odd soft goal, but standing tall when it counts. In the Toronto game, his SVP started out super-ugly, but in the crunch, he stepped up and stopped Grabovski on the penalty shot. If we're truly to be a contender, that's the kind of goalie we need.

I know it's Boston...but Carey hasn't posted a solid game since maybe the Florida shutout, and (according to me, at least) his glove side is just wide open.

The guy is great....but I think he needs to take a step back from making sandwiches with celebrity chefs and focus on making some saves.