The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#30 Peter Budaj 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Is he really worth what he is being paid? Questionable IMO.

Maybe, maybe not. But he's probably one of the best quality back-ups in the league right now. He's been a starter in the past and he's a decent goalie. In a short season, it's less important to have a good back-up, but over 82 games, he's a decent investment, especially if your starter gets hurt. I wouldn't judge him on his one game this year, it was his first in 9 months. If I'm MT, he gets the Thu game against Buffalo next week.

Brutal game IMO. Fighting the puck all night, making even routine saves look difficult. he did make a few scrambling saves in the 2nd, but he made the saves way more difficult than they had to be. Not to mention he was pretty terrible on 3 of the goals.

I agree with this... time to look for someone else that costs less and can deliver more when called upon.

I agree with this... time to look for someone else that costs less and can deliver more when called upon.

His cost isn't really an issue, he's not 1 of the top 50 paid goalies in the NHL. It's actually on the cheaper side for a backup.

He's also likely being underrated, last year played 17 games and had a .913, quite good for the salary actually and on top of that he does have starting experience which is a nice little bonus to have in a backup in case of an injury.

I'm not saying he's great but he's serviceable. His cap hit is on the low side and overall his tenure here has been IMO a success. 2 rough games to start the season but no camp, it's a little bit wacky. Anytime you have a goalie like Carey the backup playing is going to feel like a massive letdown.

His cost isn't really an issue, he's not 1 of the top 50 paid goalies in the NHL. It's actually on the cheaper side for a backup.

He's also likely being underrated, last year played 17 games and had a .913, quite good for the salary actually and on top of that he does have starting experience which is a nice little bonus to have in a backup in case of an injury.

I'm not saying he's great but he's serviceable. His cap hit is on the low side and overall his tenure here has been IMO a success. 2 rough games to start the season but no camp, it's a little bit wacky. Anytime you have a goalie like Carey the backup playing is going to feel like a massive letdown.

While I agree on most of your points, we need a better effort from our backup in these kinds of games. 9 goals in 2 games isnt going to cut it. Maybe its because we've been spoiled watching Price, but it just seemed like Budaj has no real technique, he just kind of swims around and hopes for the best.

I know its an extremely tough situation for him, but that doesnt change the fact that we need better play from him.

While I agree on most of your points, we need a better effort from our backup in these kinds of games. 9 goals in 2 games isnt going to cut it. Maybe its because we've been spoiled watching Price, but it just seemed like Budaj has no real technique, he just kind of swims around and hopes for the best.

I know its an extremely tough situation for him, but that doesnt change the fact that we need better play from him.

Well it's 2 games with no exhibition games, I'm just not ready to judge him either way. He hasn't looked good but the role of a backup to a guy like Carey is pretty tough. Hard to be on top your rebound control and positioning when you play so sparingly. The truth is I could care less if Budaj is back next year or not, he's just 1 of many guys but he has some desirable attributes and his starting experience is nice. He gave us a good year last year and like I said, he's not even 1 of the top 50 cap hits in the league at the goalie position so it's unlikely we'll do much better for the price.

Also, I've read around that he's an excellent guy. Teammates love him. You often hear that about lesser skilled guys but there was talk of some tangible things, like staying after practice essentially as long as anyone wants to take shots on him. Stuff like that gets noticed. He was a starter but he's seemed to adapt to his role as a backup very well.

4 goals should win you games and that's on him but the truth is we bailed on him in the Ottawa game and while he wasn't good by any stretch we did allow 40 shots last night. Tough to throw your backup in that kind of spot.

Well it's 2 games with no exhibition games, I'm just not ready to judge him either way. He hasn't looked good but the role of a backup to a guy like Carey is pretty tough. Hard to be on top your rebound control and positioning when you play so sparingly. The truth is I could care less if Budaj is back next year or not, he's just 1 of many guys but he has some desirable attributes and his starting experience is nice. He gave us a good year last year and like I said, he's not even 1 of the top 50 cap hits in the league at the goalie position so it's unlikely we'll do much better for the price.

Also, I've read around that he's an excellent guy. Teammates love him. You often hear that about lesser skilled guys but there was talk of some tangible things, like staying after practice essentially as long as anyone wants to take shots on him. Stuff like that gets noticed. He was a starter but he's seemed to adapt to his role as a backup very well.

4 goals should win you games and that's on him but the truth is we bailed on him in the Ottawa game and while he wasn't good by any stretch we did allow 40 shots last night. Tough to throw your backup in that kind of spot.

Would you consider the contrast in technique, style and puck control could account for more shots on net and make it harder for the d-men and team in front of him?

When Budaj does play the team has to play differently... no? Never understood this signing.

Would you consider the contrast in technique, style and puck control could account for more shots on net and make it harder for the d-men and team in front of him?

When Budaj does play the team has to play differently... no? Never understood this signing.

More rebounds and worse puck handling no doubt create more shots and make it harder on the defense. But it's tough when we're used to watching Carey since he is so elite with both those things. I mean there's a fair number of other starters in the league who look sloppy in those facets of the game compared to Price.

I don't think anyone is going to argue there is a significant drop off from Price to Budaj. But Peter performed pretty well for us in his role last season with a proper training camp/exhibition under his belt.

The fact is if White doesn't take that dumb penalty OR if we get a goaltender interference call OR if we hold on for two more seconds we're probably in this thread giving Budaj props for getting the job done.

More rebounds and worse puck handling no doubt create more shots and make it harder on the defense. But it's tough when we're used to watching Carey since he is so elite with both those things. I mean there's a fair number of other starters in the league who look sloppy in those facets of the game compared to Price.

I don't think anyone is going to argue there is a significant drop off from Price to Budaj. But Peter performed pretty well for us in his role last season with a proper training camp/exhibition under his belt.

The fact is if White doesn't take that dumb penalty OR if we get a goaltender interference call OR if we hold on for two more seconds we're probably in this thread giving Budaj props for getting the job done.

True enough... but if there is room for improvement in goal it wouldn't hurt either. Can we actually say he is the best back-up available in the minors or not signed to an NHL contract?

True enough... but if there is room for improvement in goal it wouldn't hurt either. Can we actually say he is the best back-up available in the minors or not signed to an NHL contract?

In our system, yes. We can't really go plucking players from other AHL teams, and I really don't feel like giving up assets in a trade for a goalie. I don't know, there wasn't much else out there in terms of back ups over the last couple of years unless you win the lottery and somehow get Vokoun as your back up (damn Penguins!)

In our system, yes. We can't really go plucking players from other AHL teams, and I really don't feel like giving up assets in a trade for a goalie. I don't know, there wasn't much else out there in terms of back ups over the last couple of years unless you win the lottery and somehow get Vokoun as your back up (damn Penguins!)

I know that last year there was quite a few good options. If it were up to me id be trying to get Biron to back up Carey next year.

I know that last year there was quite a few good options. If it were up to me id be trying to get Biron to back up Carey next year.

good call, that would be my first choice too. similar size and style, makes the adjustment a lot easier. i thought auld did a good job here for that reason as well

every goal sucked last night. in too deep, stick not on the ice, sliding into the net. that tying goal, yes its a scramble but geez hold the fort man. he was so out of that play it was painful. put you paddle down and dig in man!

every game he starts i feel like we will lose. thats hyperbole on my part but thats what it feels like. in the practical sense, and to the original point, i think you need to have a backup who is similar in style to your starter, and this is not a good fit

If they have any sense in Pittsburgh Vokoun should be the starter by the end of the season. Fleury is hilariously overrated, his save percentage has only been better than Vokoun's once in the past 5 seasons. Vokoun was in the discussion of the top 5 goalies in the league for a long time (10th all time in career save percentage), and while his play's fallen off a bit he's still better than Fleury who has the same career save percentage as Dan Ellis. Dude's markedly below average and TSN ranks him as the second best goalie in the East this year. Ridiculous.

As for Budaj, it's hard to draw conclusions from 2 games in such a weird season IMO. He was definitely good enough to win last night, and he faced a ton of shots. I think in terms of backup goalies around the league, he's probably in the top half, and 1.5M isn't that bad. I have reasonable faith in Budaj's ability to come in and play a few games if Carey tweaks his groin or something, but obviously I don't want him starting long term. Budaj was once a pretty competent starter, and I think if we need him to play 4 or 5 games in relief of Carey we should be fine if the team doesn't lay an egg. The thing is, we have our only real game breaking player in net. Us losing Carey for a couple games would be like the Flyers without Giroux, we don't really have any game breaking elite skaters (although Subban is close IMO), ours is a goalie by the name of Carey Price. That makes Budaj look far worse than he is, because we're used to watching arguably the 3rd or 4th best goalie in the league play every night. I'd like to see him work on staying out of the net a bit more, as he collapses into the crease a bit too much for my liking, but in comparison to the other backups around the league he's pretty good, and I don't think our backup goaltending is much of an issue. If the refs didn't botch the GI call or Ryan White could quit it with the macho schtick we're probably not even having this discussion.

Brutal game IMO. Fighting the puck all night, making even routine saves look difficult. he did make a few scrambling saves in the 2nd, but he made the saves way more difficult than they had to be. Not to mention he was pretty terrible on 3 of the goals.

That's pretty much how I see it. Often when people look at goalies they only look at the numbers, but the important thing is to watch the details. What kind of rebound does he give? Can he control them? Can he find the puck quickly around him? Is he too deep in his net? Does he over-move on left-right shifts? Can he control the puck/pass when other team dumps the puck? Does he give confidence to his team when in the net? etc.

When you look at all of those, Budaj is weak in all of them IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Peter gets the net vs Carolina. Carey feels better but will be dressed as the backup

Carolina's tough, good offense. No Skinner but still. Hopefully Budaj keeps rounding into form. I like the guy, root for him. He's not going to be Carey but if we play well in front of him he can do the job.

Carolina's tough, good offense. No Skinner but still. Hopefully Budaj keeps rounding into form. I like the guy, root for him. He's not going to be Carey but if we play well in front of him he can do the job.

Budaj was good enough to be a starter in this league, not a top 15 goalie by any means but a tender capable of playing 50 games a season and allowing his team to stay competitive. It's for reasons like this that it's nice to have a guy like him than to have to go to Mayer or someone else without the experience.

Amusing how quickly people forget and bash Budaj on such a tiny sample size. He was a great back-up last year with an SVP over 91%.

There aren't many "elite" back ups to go around. I'd love to have a guy like Hedberg but he is almost 40. Budaj is fine, he's in a difficult position, but with Carey being the stud he is, there's no need for us to go overspending on backup goalies that might not even get a dozen games in a season.