The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#30 Peter Budaj 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I gotta apologise to Budaj. I was a big critic, but he has proven my wrong, so far hes played an outstanding season and fully deserves a new contract. Well done

I felt the same way. Didn't understand how they could pay him more than Auld for the same workload and auld did well for us.

He had a shaky start, probably due to no pre-season (which backups often see icetime), but after his first win, he hasn't looked back.

Can't ask for more from a back up.

Team chemistry, being good in the locker room etc. gets a little overblown sometimes. I think when it comes to a back-up goalie, there is actually some value there though. The fact he has such a good working relationship with Carey and Groux is a big plus. He's really perfect for Montreal: he's good enough that I have full confidence he can pick up the slack if Carey gets injured or struggles for a bit, but at the same time he isn't a former star or up and commer who will give us goalie controversy head aches in the media. (We'll, there will always be some in Montreal, but less than there could be ;))

peter i think if if ride with you the rest of the season we have a good chance at stanley's cup i donot not know we carey's head been this year but it has not been in the game so if i where the coach or manager i would go with you peter the rest of the way and we will make stop signs saying budaj for the play offs.

Good call on starting Budaj. Give Price some time to refocus.

this

This seems to be a similar situation to that of Schneider at the start of the year for the Vancouver. They named him the number one goalie at the start of the year, and played him almost every game for the first 10. Although, he was pulled a few times in that stretch and had a pretty rough go at the beginning. While he was struggling, Luongo was playing well for them. Much the same as Budaj is for us. They then turned to Luongo more often for a little while, as he was playing well (going with the hot goalie), and let Schneider ride the bench.

Once Luongo cooled off, they stated to play Schneider a lot more and he has really been great for them. I think the time that was given to Schneider to not worry about playing every game and not worry about his stats, really helped him as he began to focus more on the small details in practice that make a goaltender sharp. Also, it made him a lot more hungry to play, and forced him to be ready and at his best every time he got the call, because he never knew when he would play next.

I honestly think that is what Carey needs right now because he has been rushed along and basically was given the starting job. He hasn't had to play hungry or desperate because he has been too comfortable as the undisputed number one. He may be developing the mind set that "Hey, I'm the starting goalie. It doesn't matter if I play bad or have a few bad games, because ill always get another start within the next couple of games. Budaj is just the back up, I'm the starter". For a goalie to be at his best he needs to be playing to make a statement. He needs to know that he has to be at his best because there is someone else who wants his job just as much as he does. Carey has not had that in a very long time, and it's obvious that he is not hungry to play and perform, because he knows there will always be another game right around the corner.

This seems to be a similar situation to that of Schneider at the start of the year for the Vancouver. They named him the number one goalie at the start of the year, and played him almost every game for the first 10. Although, he was pulled a few times in that stretch and had a pretty rough go at the beginning. While he was struggling, Luongo was playing well for them. Much the same as Budaj is for us. They then turned to Luongo more often for a little while, as he was playing well (going with the hot goalie), and let Schneider ride the bench.

Once Luongo cooled off, they stated to play Schneider a lot more and he has really been great for them. I think the time that was given to Schneider to not worry about playing every game and not worry about his stats, really helped him as he began to focus more on the small details in practice that make a goaltender sharp. Also, it made him a lot more hungry to play, and forced him to be ready and at his best every time he got the call, because he never knew when he would play next.

I honestly think that is what Carey needs right now because he has been rushed along and basically was given the starting job. He hasn't had to play hungry or desperate because he has been too comfortable as the undisputed number one. He may be developing the mind set that "Hey, I'm the starting goalie. It doesn't matter if I play bad or have a few bad games, because ill always get another start within the next couple of games. Budaj is just the back up, I'm the starter". For a goalie to be at his best he needs to be playing to make a statement. He needs to know that he has to be at his best because there is someone else who wants his job just as much as he does. Carey has not had that in a very long time, and it's obvious that he is not hungry to play and perform, because he knows there will always be another game right around the corner.

I completely agree and stated something close to that not long ago. He has the talent he just needs to focus and regain his drive. Not to mention everybody does better with a little competition.