The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Josh Gorges 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I don't mean to be a hater here, but what do you really expect him to say when he, you know, is asked a question by a mob of reporters immediately after losing and playing quite poorly in the recent past? <_<

"I thought we played great", wouldn't really work given the scoreboard..."banana creme pie" wouldn't make much sense (tasty a statement as it may be), and it would be quite incendiary for him to throw someone under the bus and say something like, "...but coach wasn't matching lines very well, and Carey looked like Swiss cheese".

So that leaves things like:

"I’ve been through enough (to know) you can’t just show up in Game 1 of the playoffs and think ‘now I’m going to start playing, now our team’s going to click.’ That doesn’t work. We have to make sure we’re prepared this week and have the effort. If we get scored on, so what? We have to bounce back and have that championship mentality.”

Problem identified, potential future implications of problem (regarding playoffs) identified, personal accountability, and then solution identified. If you maintain skepticism that he'll do it - that's cool, I get it. But sports media isn't really going to give us any sort of insight into...anything. At least so far as I have seen during my time on Earth. So there's no point hating him for what he said :)

/end rant

I don't mean to be a hater here, but what do you really expect him to say when he, you know, is asked a question by a mob of reporters immediately after losing and playing quite poorly in the recent past? <_<

"I thought we played great", wouldn't really work given the scoreboard..."banana creme pie" wouldn't make much sense (tasty a statement as it may be), and it would be quite incendiary for him to throw someone under the bus and say something like, "...but coach wasn't matching lines very well, and Carey looked like Swiss cheese".

So that leaves things like:

"I’ve been through enough (to know) you can’t just show up in Game 1 of the playoffs and think ‘now I’m going to start playing, now our team’s going to click.’ That doesn’t work. We have to make sure we’re prepared this week and have the effort. If we get scored on, so what? We have to bounce back and have that championship mentality.”

Problem identified, potential future implications of problem (regarding playoffs) identified, personal accountability, and then solution identified. If you maintain skepticism that he'll do it - that's cool, I get it. But sports media isn't really going to give us any sort of insight into...anything. At least so far as I have seen during my time on Earth. So there's no point hating him for what he said :)

/end rant

Absolutely agree with that too. The situation is ridiculous for the athletes. I realize its their job to say things like that, and there is no way around it. I don't hate him for saying it, I just get bothered by people that use a simple speech as evidence that he is bound to improve.

Guest habs1952

I don't mind that Gorges said it but I do mind when teams(players) don't appear to be trying to do anything about it. They let the problems fester until it's ruined their confidence and they've dug themselves a huge hole that's very difficult to climb out of.

liked the clip of him and gally in the car. Kinda weird to hear him talking about ex players.

I like Josh and think hes a natural leader, but listening to his interviews and watching him on 24CH it seems like every now and then he kinda rambles.

Still could be our next captain IMO.

Agree with all of the above.

• 2 weeks later...

-3. Ugh. :( Diaz and Gorges seemed like a bit of an "adventure" last night.

It was an adventure from the start... after playing so much with Subban you're starting the playoffs with a new partner... and add to that a partner that missed much of the season due to a concussion. I guess the objective was for Josh to help Diaz with his experience... but the time to adjust just hasn't been long enough. I hope they can mess better as the series goes on (if they remain together as a pairing).

Like "son" like "father" ? :lol: Josh has a pretty passionate and intense lodger in Gally

I mean like, you could quite clearly see what he was saying to Maclean at the very end of the game. As well, he lost it during the blowout against Toronto, threw his helmet.

It can give off the impression that Gorges is a cry baby, but the intensity and the passion shows how badly he wants to win here.

I mean like, you could quite clearly see what he was saying to Maclean at the very end of the game. As well, he lost it during the blowout against Toronto, threw his helmet.

It can give off the impression that Gorges is a cry baby, but the intensity and the passion shows how badly he wants to win here.

He's always been like this (kept it to himself more in the first years obviously). I think it's a matter of camera zooming in on him more.

Gorges is not a top 2 dman he is 4-3 guy and nothing more. We have 1 top 2. Guy and a bunch of 6-3 guys but we desperately need that njmber 2 guy and the only 2 guys I see beeing able to fill that role next year is emelin and I really home tinordi will come back and surpprise us with an amazing training camp because hed be the perfect fit with subban

. Gorges can be a number 4 but I'm not necessarily sure it was a down year as opposed to last season just being a bit of a career year. He's been a 3rd pairing guy ever since coming to Montreal

The bolded is just flat out false.

All the way back in 2009/2010 when they went on that big run he was far more than a 3rd pairing guy. During the season and the playoffs.

In ES ice time (the measure of what "pairing" a guy is) he has been a top 4 going all the way back to 2008/2009.

Sorry.

The statistics show your claim is false, sorry. Check them out if you'd like.

The bolded is just flat out false.

All the way back in 2009/2010 when they went on that big run he was far more than a 3rd pairing guy. During the season and the playoffs.

In ES ice time (the measure of what "pairing" a guy is) he has been a top 4 going all the way back to 2008/2009.

Sorry.

The statistics show your claim is false, sorry. Check them out if you'd like.

I meant in terms of ability not use. Those teams were awful, and yes Gorges had a great playoff run but he wasn't a legitimate top 4 guy on a contending team. Hence that team giving up a ridiculous amount of shots pergame.

This is what I mean though in my post, I'm not talking about actual role. I know Gorges was USED as a top 4 guy, but everyone at the time agreed it was something we needed to upgrade. Those were awful teams, relying on goaltending with porous d. And you can look it up if you want.

By most metrics Gorges just generally hasn't been that good. He's a useful piece but the only season he played like a LEGITIMATE top 4 defender consistently IMO, was 2011-12. I'm not going to get bogged down on an semantics back and forth though. Just like when people would say we need a number 1 center, technically Koivu was our number center and Plekanec is a number 1 center, just that they aren't suited to that role. That was what I meant on Gorges. If you think prior to last year he was playing like a 2nd pairing guy, we disagree. I suppose I just worded it poorly. Never meant to imply he wasn't used as a top 4.

We're locked into a third-pairing d-man at nearly $4 million per season until the end of 2017-18. OY.

he is a 7th defenseman on a really good team, this contract really really hurts for the amount of impact he has when the real hockey starts he just wears down so so easily

better than 4.2 in the press box lol

with a good complement hes a good useful player. he cant be getting paired with another small non physical guy, look how bad that worked out

Not saying he can't be useful but right now we have an awful lot of third-pairing guys under contract: Gorges, Bouillon, Markov, Kaberle, Tinordi (right now). There are only two third-pairing spots so if those guys minus Kaberle are all back, someone is going to be forced to play a role he's not up for.

We're locked into a third-pairing d-man at nearly $4 million per season until the end of 2017-18. OY.

It wasn't his best season, but I think it's a little extreme to call him a third-pairing dman. On most teams he's probably good enough to be on their second-pairing.

It wasn't his best season, but I think it's a little extreme to call him a third-pairing dman. On most teams he's probably good enough to be on their second-pairing.

He's had exactly one season in the NHL that was better than third-pairing status (11-12). For the rest, he's been a third-pairing d-man.