The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#26 Josh Gorges 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Yep, developing the D over the next couple of years is going to be difficult. Legit top-four guys in their physical prime don't grow on trees, and every team wants 'em. But we definitely need to get to a point where we're using the right talent in our top-four, not slotting third-pairing guys like Gorges in because we have no one else. If we want to be more than a fringe playoff team, that's the step we have to take.

The "someone doesn't belong there" argument implies (and it's worth stating) that we aspire to be more than just a fringe playoff team. As in, if we're happy just making the playoffs and getting bounced in the first round, then sure, Gorges totally belongs in our top four. But if we want to do better than first-round playoff exits, he doesn't belong there. Simple as that.

Sure, and I think that's a better way to state it than saying he *is* something else. (eg. there is a difference in saying you want to upgrade your goalie versus saying your starting goalie is really a backup). It's sort of just semantics, but people reading the statements tend to interpret them very differently.

Anyways, I'm not going to disagree that we could upgrade at the position, but I think if we could get a legitimate #2 guy and a good #3 who gels well with him (perhaps Tinordi at some point, to stay on topic :)), Gorges as #4 should look okay.

Yep, developing the D over the next couple of years is going to be difficult. Legit top-four guys in their physical prime don't grow on trees, and every team wants 'em. But we definitely need to get to a point where we're using the right talent in our top-four, not slotting third-pairing guys like Gorges in because we have no one else. If we want to be more than a fringe playoff team, that's the step we have to take.

Agreed, that's the end game. But since it won't happen in one year, we may as well use Josh until we get there and stay as competitive as possible.

Agreed, that's the end game. But since it won't happen in one year, we may as well use Josh until we get there and stay as competitive as possible.

Well, that could be a way to go, but I'm frankly not sure that keeping Gorges actually makes us competitive. As noted here and in other threads, we have Markov, Bouillon, Gorges, and Tinordi all ideally playing third-pairing minutes (Tinordi until he's able to take the next step). If by compliance-buying out Gorges, we have the cap and roster space to take a run at a top d-man, why not do it? And even if not, we could roll the dice on Markov holding the fort in a second-pairing role for maybe half a season while we explore trade options and Emelin gets healthy, so when the trade deadline rolls around, we've got pro-rated cap space to take a run at someone. But I certainly get the argument for keeping Gorges for at least another year.

And lets face it, build a strong core around Price and even an off-season like this year wont be as glaring. Every year ST. Louis seems to have a new Vezina-caliber goalie - and thats all on the defense & the coaching.

I like Gorges & would be happy to have him stay on this team, but once again we have a player with a contract that his skill level probably doesnt allow him to live up to.