The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Tomas Kaberle

Maybe Colorado and their <10% PP would take him off our hands?

I doubt it unless there's salary coming back. They're trying to sign Ryan O'Reilly long term with an internal cap, they don't have the coin to shell out to guys like Kaberle.

Yup. The problem is next year. If he was UFA this summer it would be easy to find a dance partner (although at that point we may actually want to keep him as insurance for the playoffs) but with that full year next year I think you'd have a very hard time finding a partner now. Its remotely possible that this summer someone takes a chance on him for 1 year (yes the cap is going down but there are still some very dumb GMs out there) but i think you need a team that has a hole for one year, not one that can take him on for 2.

Maybe Colorado and their <10% PP would take him off our hands?

I doubt it unless there's salary coming back. They're trying to sign Ryan O'Reilly long term with an internal cap, they don't have the coin to shell out to guys like Kaberle.

I would have to think Colorado is interested. They can buy him out, and I said earlier that they are in a financial position to use one of their amnesty buyouts. So why not? I would look at sending Eller and a pick their way on top of that for O'Reilly. He would be the top-6 forward we are looking for IMO. He can play.

I would have to think Colorado is interested. They can buy him out, and I said earlier that they are in a financial position to use one of their amnesty buyouts. So why not? I would look at sending Eller and a pick their way on top of that for O'Reilly. He would be the top-6 forward we are looking for IMO. He can play.

It's a great idea.

Or just Lars and Kaberle for a second rounder.

• 3 weeks later...

So honestly... what is the deal with Kaberle? Is he not playing because the Habs don't want him to get injured (future buyout plans)?

If that were the case i believe they wouldn't let him practice with the team, as he can easily be injured there also. I think it's simply because he can't crack the top 6. When you think about it,,,,who's spot does he deserve to take?

I'd stick Kaberle in for Markov, to be honest. Not because Markov is worse than other guys, but because Kaberle slots into his role the easiest. If you look at Markov's play in the last 5-6 games, he's been no better than what Kaberle was giving us. He hasn't produced on the PP and he's been weak in his own zone. So maybe subbing in Kaberle, just for an occasional game, would help to spell Markov a break and get him back to how he was playing the first two weeks of the season. We have two vets here, and it would help to keep each fresh and in game shape.

I agree Ted, was thinking the same thing recently. He had a hot start, but has cooled since PK's return. Not saying it's PK's fault, just interesting to note.

Kaberle needs playing time. We're just going to keep him in the press box until his contract expires?

He's really not MT's style of player, but that's no reason to keep him in the pressbox for the whole season. We're paying him regardless, might as well try and get something in return.

I haven't been overly impressed with Marky's defensive zone play and defending an offensive rush. With Marky's limited mobility, I don't think his defensive zone coverage is much better than Kabs.

He still has offensive skills, could help on the PP and in the defensive zone.

I agree Ted, was thinking the same thing recently. He had a hot start, but has cooled since PK's return. Not saying it's PK's fault, just interesting to note.

Likely little or nothing to do with Subban since it hasn't impacted Markov's ice time really or PP time. Markov's start was hot but we overused him. In hindsight the 20 or so games of KHL may have helped him get back to speed but it also may have hurt him with the compacted schedule now. The honest reality is Markov isn't the same player, he's still good we just need to pick our spots a little better.

Wouldn't mind giving him the odd game off.

Likely little or nothing to do with Subban since it hasn't impacted Markov's ice time really or PP time. Markov's start was hot but we overused him. In hindsight the 20 or so games of KHL may have helped him get back to speed but it also may have hurt him with the compacted schedule now. The honest reality is Markov isn't the same player, he's still good we just need to pick our spots a little better.

Wouldn't mind giving him the odd game off.

I think the decision now becomes using Markov in a #1 role as we are and letting him wear out or else scaling back his minutes and/or sitting him out from time to time. Given that we have a suitable replacement in Kaberle, I think it bears fruit to sub him in for Markov when we have back-to-back games. It prevents Markov from being over-worked and it helps to keep Kabs in shape. It's not like we're going from Markov to Weber, we're going to another vet who has been used to playing the PP and being a puck distributor. You use Subban as the #1 D man, and it effectively allows us to sub Markov and Kaberle in and out on the bottom pairing, with key PP minutes to that guy in a somewhat sheltered role. We've all talked about how Kaberle has regressed, but his points-per-minute have been steady and outside of Markov's first handful of games, he's been no better than Kaberle of late.

Kaberle would give us a credible set-up man on the second-wave PP. That's not nothing. Frankly, he's splitting games with Bouillon if I'm in charge, but Bouillon is Therrien's guy and it will never happen...

Agreed, I think this would be a good way to go. Bouillon hasn't been good enough to be an every day player with Kaberle in the press box.

Disagree, Bouillon has been a reliable defensive presence throughout the year, which is an asset when playing with Subban. If we slot in Kaberle for Bouillon, additional changes to the D pairings are needed as Subban-Kaberle is far from an ideal D pairing IMO. I'm with BigTed, swap Kaberle with Markov on occasion to keep him happy and Markov rested. Generally speaking, I'd rather see Markov/Gorges, Emelin/Subban and Bouillon/Diaz but now is not the time for a major defensive overhaul.

Disagree, Bouillon has been a reliable defensive presence throughout the year, which is an asset when playing with Subban. If we slot in Kaberle for Bouillon, additional changes to the D pairings are needed as Subban-Kaberle is far from an ideal D pairing IMO. I'm with BigTed, swap Kaberle with Markov on occasion to keep him happy and Markov rested. Generally speaking, I'd rather see Markov/Gorges, Emelin/Subban and Bouillon/Diaz but now is not the time for a major defensive overhaul.

+1 to all this.

Disagree, Bouillon has been a reliable defensive presence throughout the year, which is an asset when playing with Subban.

Subban is a far superior to Bouillon in every phase of the game, including defense. Among other things, Bouillon is incredibly soft with his zone clearances, and he can be easily pressured into mistakes by aggressive forecheckers.

Subban is a far superior to Bouillon in every phase of the game, including defense. Among other things, Bouillon is incredibly soft with his zone clearances, and he can be easily pressured into mistakes by aggressive forecheckers.

Not sure where I said that Bouillon is superior to Subban, Weep. Of course he's hands down the better player of the two, my point was that I don't think Kaberle-Subban is a viable option and that I believe it's important to have a stay-at-home guy like Bouillon as Subban's partner.

Not sure where I said that Bouillon is superior to Subban, Weep. Of course he's hands down the better player of the two, my point was that I don't think Kaberle-Subban is a viable option and that I believe it's important to have a stay-at-home guy like Bouillon as Subban's partner.

Oh no, you didn't say it, and I didn't mean to suggest you did. But I thought the implication of your post was that Subban needs a stay-at-home D partner because somehow his own defensive game is lacking? (sorry if that wasn't your meaning) And my response was simply: Subban's defensive game is way better than people think. In fat, I'd say that's where he has at least half if not most of his value -- in taking on those tough tough matchups, winning puck battles, clearing the zone efficiently, and seeing lots of penalty-kill duty. So really, to me anyway, neither Bouillon nor Kaberle should be Subban's partner. I'd frankly give him Emelin as a partner at even strength and on the PK, with Subban seeing second-wave PP time with Kaberle manning the left point.

Oh no, you didn't say it, and I didn't mean to suggest you did. But I thought the implication of your post was that Subban needs a stay-at-home D partner because somehow his own defensive game is lacking? (sorry if that wasn't your meaning) And my response was simply: Subban's defensive game is way better than people think. In fat, I'd say that's where he has at least half if not most of his value -- in taking on those tough tough matchups, winning puck battles, clearing the zone efficiently, and seeing lots of penalty-kill duty. So really, to me anyway, neither Bouillon nor Kaberle should be Subban's partner. I'd frankly give him Emelin as a partner at even strength and on the PK, with Subban seeing second-wave PP time with Kaberle manning the left point.

Nah, my post wasn't meant to be a knock on Subban's defensive qualities at all. I agree with you, he's definitely underrated in that department as his defensive game has come a long way in the past two years. Given given his flair for offense, however, I feel it's better for the team to have him play with someone who doesn't think offense first. Bouillon's value to the team isn't measured in points, as opposed to Kaberle's or Weber's, who both are neither as effective nor as physical as Bouillon. Like I posted before, I also think Emelin would be a better partner for Subban, but that would entail changing up all three D pairs, which I don't think is the way to go at this point.