The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Can we stop with the "bigger forwards" nonsense? Our top 12 includes Cole, Pacioretty, Bourque, Armstrong, Moen, Eller, Prust, and White. We have enough size. The only truly small player is Desharnais, Gionta and Plekanec both play well enough physically that it's not an issue.

For the right price, sure we could trade him. But he's a very valuable guy, and I think he's been underrated. 5M is a fair price for his play.

Can we stop with the "bigger forwards" nonsense? Our top 12 includes Cole, Pacioretty, Bourque, Armstrong, Moen, Eller, Prust, and White. We have enough size. The only truly small player is Desharnais, Gionta and Plekanec both play well enough physically that it's not an issue.

For the right price, sure we could trade him. But he's a very valuable guy, and I think he's been underrated. 5M is a fair price for his play.

Not to nitpick but Pleki is bigger than White, obviously White has bigger hair though :P:lol:

Not to nitpick but Pleki is bigger than White, obviously White has bigger hair though :P:lol:

Wikipedia has White listed as 6'0" 200lb, and Plekanec at 5'11" 198lb. It's so close it really doesn't matter :lol:

I guess I just made a mistake because White is more physical. And I certainly don't think Plekanec "plays small" (truly, only DD and Gomez do IMO).

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I just worry because he's small and takes contact. Although, in his career it doesn't seem like he's ever missed a ton of time. The older you get though... :unsure:

I don't know, some times it seems like the small guys who bounce around everywhere are the ones who can keep flying for a while, while the bigger guys get the knee/shoulder problems and tend to slow down. Look at iron man Marty St.Louis ;)

I don't know, some times it seems like the small guys who bounce around everywhere are the ones who can keep flying for a while, while the bigger guys get the knee/shoulder problems and tend to slow down. Look at iron man Marty St.Louis ;)

I hope your right, we need Brian to be Brian, that's for sure.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hindsight is always 20/20, but it sure seems like the right one out of our smurf trio of Cammy, Gomez and Gio was chosen to be Captain, eh?

For me, those two other guys were never an option. Cammalleri was too egotistical to be a captain despite his on-ice performance. It would have been down to Gionta, Markov, or maybe Gorges or Gill. At present, it certainly looks like Gorges will be the guy to take over for Gio in a couple of years, but things can change. It's funny, but of the main guys Bob Gainey signed in his free-spending summer, Gio's the only guy who stuck. Cammy, Gomez, Gill, and Spacek are all gone.

For me, those two other guys were never an option. Cammalleri was too egotistical to be a captain despite his on-ice performance. It would have been down to Gionta, Markov, or maybe Gorges or Gill. At present, it certainly looks like Gorges will be the guy to take over for Gio in a couple of years, but things can change. It's funny, but of the main guys Bob Gainey signed in his free-spending summer, Gio's the only guy who stuck. Cammy, Gomez, Gill, and Spacek are all gone.

Even funnier is the fact that if you had done a poll at the time, my bet is that Gio and his contract would have probably rated as fans' least favourite :P

His was the contract I had the most reservations about probably, he was a bit older than Gomez and Cammy and his goal production had been dropping but he's been everything we could have hoped for and more. What a player.

I'm going to assume he stays and finishes his contract (at the least) and him and Gill will be the only 2 who finished their contracts signed by Bob on July 1 2009.

His was the contract I had the most reservations about probably, he was a bit older than Gomez and Cammy and his goal production had been dropping but he's been everything we could have hoped for and more. What a player.

I'm going to assume he stays and finishes his contract (at the least) and him and Gill will be the only 2 who finished their contracts signed by Bob on July 1 2009.

And Moen but I guess he didn't technically sign on July 1st.

I was most excited about signing Cammalleri, if I remember. I was down on the Gomez trade because of his contract, and I liked the signing of Gionta, albeit I questioned whether we needed another guy with small stature. I was not overly happy about signing Spacek or Gill, but in the end, I actually remember just being excited the Habs finally did something at the start of free agency after having done nothing tangible for a long time. I'd actually forgotten that Moen is still here too and has signed a second deal to boot, but he was less of a key acquisition then the others and more of a complementary player.