The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

I was most excited about signing Cammalleri, if I remember. I was down on the Gomez trade because of his contract, and I liked the signing of Gionta, albeit I questioned whether we needed another guy with small stature. I was not overly happy about signing Spacek or Gill, but in the end, I actually remember just being excited the Habs finally did something at the start of free agency after having done nothing tangible for a long time. I'd actually forgotten that Moen is still here too and has signed a second deal to boot, but he was less of a key acquisition then the others and more of a complementary player.

In all the off season discussions that year, Cammy was my pick to be our first line center. So I was disappointed when the Gomez trade happened, then happy when we signed Cammy but confused and even more disappointed with the Gomez trade.

In all the off season discussions that year, Cammy was my pick to be our first line center. So I was disappointed when the Gomez trade happened, then happy when we signed Cammy but confused and even more disappointed with the Gomez trade.

The Gomez trade was a baffler to being with and even moreso now that we've seen what McDonaugh's become and heard that Timmins tried his best to dissuade BG from dealing him. Gionta's given somewhat conflicting statements about Gomez, saying on the one hand that he didn't come here purely because of Gomez and that he would have considered Montreal even without Scotty. But on the other hand, he's also stated that Gomez being here was a factor that played in Montreal's favor. I don't think Gomez's signing affected Gill, Moen, or Spacek coming here. I think it did help to lure Gionta here, and to a lesser extent Cammalleri. In the end, I think the biggest factor was money though.

In essence, the Habs gave up Koivu, Kovy, Tanguay, Higgins, and McDonaugh for Gomez, Gionta, and Cammalleri. They've since turned Cammalleri into Bourque and ditched Gomez for nothing. I don't see us getting much for Bourque in a trade nor do I see him being a key piece here, so at the end of the day when we look back at things, we ended up getting one surprise playoff run and whatever Gionta gives us over the next two years as positives in the deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Brian Gionta still has the speed he needs to play in the NHL, but he has seemed to back away from the dirty areas a bit. Could have something to do with the resurgence of Rene Bourque perhaps... wait and see if he can still put up the points that can continue to make him valuable to the Habs going forward.

The Gomez trade was a baffler to being with and even moreso now that we've seen what McDonaugh's become and heard that Timmins tried his best to dissuade BG from dealing him. Gionta's given somewhat conflicting statements about Gomez, saying on the one hand that he didn't come here purely because of Gomez and that he would have considered Montreal even without Scotty. But on the other hand, he's also stated that Gomez being here was a factor that played in Montreal's favor. I don't think Gomez's signing affected Gill, Moen, or Spacek coming here. I think it did help to lure Gionta here, and to a lesser extent Cammalleri. In the end, I think the biggest factor was money though.

Gomez and Gionta have a history so I suppose anything's possible but Gomez isn't the kind of talent you'd see people flock to play with, even in his prime. It was almost certainly money motivated with both Brian and Cammy. Now, I suppose it's believable that it sent a message to both that we intended to try and win and were willing to spend money to win right away, that tends to appeal to players but the reality is we almost certainly offered both players the best combination of cash/term they got and that's why they signed here.

Brian Gionta still has the speed he needs to play in the NHL, but he has seemed to back away from the dirty areas a bit. Could have something to do with the resurgence of Rene Bourque perhaps... wait and see if he can still put up the points that can continue to make him valuable to the Habs going forward.

Bourque being the net presence on that line does alter the scheme a bit and it seems like there's less room for Gio to play there but I think his poor start has been overstated, he hasn't been great but he's been OK. He's a streaky scorer, low SH% thus far. Wouldn't be surprised to see him get hot and pot a few.

Gionta hasn't been bad, I am not sure where that comes from. He's working hard every shift and he's provided some great passes. He has an extra gear for sure, but I think calling his start poor is a bit unfair. He has played a dozen games in a year, I don't doubt he'll find his way into the dirty areas before long.

He hasn't been that bad, the points aren't really there as much but he's definitely been a threat out there. His corsi numbers aren't fantastic but they're not that bad either. I fully expect him to come around, and as was mentioned his shooting percentage is sitting at 6.9%, his career percentage is 11%, so we should see the luck turn around a bit soon. I'm not incredibly worried about Gionta yet, but it's really a shame that he, and the two and a half men line are all having a scoring slump. Hard to rely on Pleks, Bourque, and rookies and plugs to do our scoring.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you watch his play, he has been on the puck and creating chances, players like him tend to score 3 goals in 5 games and then start getting praised for great seasons. If he stops getting chances that's when you worry but I see him around the puck and slot and his line as a whole has been productive.

Moving Cole down to the third line helped him... could it help Gionta too?

Moving Galchenyuk or Eller up could yield two possible line scenarios... Cole-Eller/Galchenyuk-Gionta

Eller/Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Bourque

Except that I really like Eller-Gally together. Maybe Gio with those 2, although Cole seems to be clicking (albeit in a very small sample size) so far.

Gio will come around i think. his big point total days are behind him but he's still playing smart hockey and a sound defensive game.

OK, what's going on out there?

Dunno, but it hasn't been pretty for a few weeks now. With Subban tonight, you can say he just had a bad game and move on, because you know he'll bounce back. Gionta has been pretty listless the whole season thus far, except for a few short bursts of productivity, usually on the power play. I'm not impressed at all, especially coming from the captain.

Dunno, but it hasn't been pretty for a few weeks now. With Subban tonight, you can say he just had a bad game and move on, because you know he'll bounce back. Gionta has been pretty listless the whole season thus far, except for a few short bursts of productivity, usually on the power play. I'm not impressed at all, especially coming from the captain.

We knew he was going to be overpaid the last year or 2 so it may just be that we're running into that now. Not sure, he still tries and his D is good enough but he's being force fed key minutes. At this point maybe just put AGally or someone on his PP spot, reduce his role, hope he's a 15-20 goal 2nd or more likely 3rd line caliber guy who can do it a bit of everything in a pinch? Therrien seems to adore him and I'm glad but he's hurting us right now in offensive situations.

We knew he was going to be overpaid the last year or 2 so it may just be that we're running into that now. Not sure, he still tries and his D is good enough but he's being force fed key minutes. At this point maybe just put AGally or someone on his PP spot, reduce his role, hope he's a 15-20 goal 2nd or more likely 3rd line caliber guy who can do it a bit of everything in a pinch? Therrien seems to adore him and I'm glad but he's hurting us right now in offensive situations.

I'd be fine with someone taking his spot on the Plekanec line, he's sabotaging the offense and even his D hasn't been good enough to warrant keeping him in that role. He's having trouble picking up his man in coverage. I'm just surprised to see such a steep drop. He's been such good value for us in the past that I really thought his decline wouldn't be that perceptible until next year.

I'd be fine with someone taking his spot on the Plekanec line, he's sabotaging the offense and even his D hasn't been good enough to warrant keeping him in that role. He's having trouble picking up his man in coverage. I'm just surprised to see such a steep drop. He's been such good value for us in the past that I really thought his decline wouldn't be that perceptible until next year.

It could be that he went a year without playing and that he's always been highly streaky, so we'll see but his role needs to be reduced until he shows signs of going on 1 of his streaks.

It could be that he went a year without playing and that he's always been highly streaky, so we'll see but his role needs to be reduced until he shows signs of going on 1 of his streaks.

your right, the injury and not having played in a year hasnt helped him..

Agreed he doesn't seem to have it going offensively. I'd probably leave him where he's at until Bourque gets back though. May as well leave Prust there and have them match up and contain the other team's top line for now while letting the other two lines do their thing.

It was interesting though, one of the French advanced stat guys at eyes on the prize noted that line's possession was like off the charts good vs the Rangers' top line they were matched up against.

It was interesting though, one of the French advanced stat guys at eyes on the prize noted that line's possession was like off the charts good vs the Rangers' top line they were matched up against.

Well, he's always been a great possession guy, no question, but at some point possession and defense can't be enough in a top-six role when you're the captain getting paid $5 million per year. He's on that line precisely because he's shown in the past that he can take on the tough matchups but still produce at a decent clip. So far, he's done very little, and what's more worrisome is: he's not doing the things he needs to do to score. In fact, he's kind of a drag on offense right now, whether it's playing a perimeter game, missing a pass, going offside, etc. He's just not helping on that front and it's starting to be close to the time where excuses run out and he has to produce.

i think he is doing fine for a guy his age and size. i am never worried he is going to do somthing stupid when he is on the ice. and i am having a hard time deciding which line is #1 or #2 or #3 it is so well balanced this year. now by next season we may have some more young talent ready to go,then i would be much more concerned about his production.

Sigh.

He needs to come out and have a strong game against Toronto. I don't really see the benefit of having so many small "top six" players on the roster if they're not producing. And it's not like Therrien is going to banish the team captain to the press-box for a game or two.

It would be embarrassing to lose to Toronto for the third time in a row. I really hope Brian has a good game on Wednesday.

I agree that he hasn't been playing well lately, but I didn't actually think he had a bad game against Ottawa. He took it to the net a few times, not to mention that beauty of a play to feed Pleky on the 3 on 2. If a few of those great chances had made it past Bishop I think the tone in this thread would be different this morning.

Obviously he needs to pick up his play from the last few games, but I don't think he's a lost cause just yet.

I agree that he hasn't been playing well lately, but I didn't actually think he had a bad game against Ottawa. He took it to the net a few times, not to mention that beauty of a play to feed Pleky on the 3 on 2. If a few of those great chances had made it past Bishop I think the tone in this thread would be different this morning.

Obviously he needs to pick up his play from the last few games, but I don't think he's a lost cause just yet.

Certainly not a lost cause, but he's being paid to produce. He needs to get something in the net soon. I don't expect any single player on this roster to light the lamp every night. We're not that kind of team. But we do need everyone to be contributing in every second or third match to be successful. Brian hasn't scored a single point in five games now.