The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

Guest habs1952

It's tempting, but I'd still rather use our last compliance buyout on Price.

Oh man.....don't we have enough cans of worms open at one time as it is. :lol::lol:

Don't be so quick to get rid of the captain, folks. :P

Exactly. Even though his play is bound to slide a little, his contract isnt hideous & he brings a lot to the table. I can absolutely live with one contract like his now that we've shed several of the worse ones on this squad.

I think I've maybe seen him score once on these attempts... And he's good for at least one of 'em every game. I don't quite understand why he does it so often.

Those one or two times a game, I find, are usually when his line has to change, and then taking a long shot makes sense. Why not keep the goalie on his toes and get lucky every once in a while? The problem to me is that he seems to do it more often in games against bigger defenseman like Boston and Toronto.

Those one or two times a game, I find, are usually when his line has to change, and then taking a long shot makes sense. Why not keep the goalie on his toes and get lucky every once in a while? The problem to me is that he seems to do it more often in games against bigger defenseman like Boston and Toronto.

Ya, I find he actually does it at pretty smart times for the most part. If the pass isn't there, rather then leaving it in the corner or turning it over, I'd rather see him take a shot to try for a rebound, force a faceoff, or when he's lucky a goal.

• 3 weeks later...

Uhhhg I'm getting sick of Gionta. He hasn't done jack lately, and by lately I mean 20 games. This season he's successfully made it on my list of "get off the ice" players, along with Desharnais and Moen. Can't wait to have the 5 million dollars in cap space back after next season. #Frustrated

Well I think he brings more than just goals and we could just cut his TOI for a bit and see if that helps. Like I said before, maybe putting him with two bigger guys like Eller and A.Gally might help him as well. I don't think we need to get rid of him just because he's in a bit of a slump. He's still trying, when he completely gives up like Cammi did or becomes as useless as Moen has, then I'm all for getting rid of him.

Well I think he brings more than just goals and we could just cut his TOI for a bit and see if that helps. Like I said before, maybe putting him with two bigger guys like Eller and A.Gally might help him as well. I don't think we need to get rid of him just because he's in a bit of a slump. He's still trying, when he completely gives up like Cammi did or becomes as useless as Moen has, then I'm all for getting rid of him.

I've been arguing for Eller and Gionta as a combo all season (and last season too). I think they would complement each other well, both playing a hard-nosed possession game and getting pucks on net. Using those two with Galchenyuk gives us a respectable second line that can play both ways.

I agree but it seems MT's idea of changing things up is moving Bourque from the 3rd line to the 1st. I don't get it.

Yup. Not sure why the concept of line juggling has to be limited to changing the 1st and 3rd lines while leaving the DD line intact. The DD line is the one that needs to be changed the most, in my opinion. And seeing as I'd like to keep the smaller guys (DD, BG11, BG21) separated, I think Gionta with Eller makes a great match.

Gionta has totally been the invisable man this last little while. Even on the PP all he does is stand at the side of the net, NEVER in front of the goalie and hopes for the best. You think the play of Gallager would inspire him and some of the other players but I guess not.

Really bothers me seeing him do nothing especially with the "C" on his jersey.

If Gionta has a cap hit of around 3 million, I wouldn't be so hard on him. I actually wouldn't mind him, but a 5 million cap hit for a few goals, dwindling production, and a defensive game? Very frustrating seeing him in the top 6 night after night when he hasn't really done much this season. I know he's our captain, but I honestly feel no connection to him as our leader. He was honestly just made the captain of our team because he was the best candidate in a pool of not so great candidates. Like I have said a million times this year, Guys like Eller and AGally deserve to be in the top 6 much more, because they bring a much better offensive game with bigger bodies. Sure he was valuable to us in past seasons, and he does still bring some intangibles to the table but we just have better and younger options right now.

If Gionta has a cap hit of around 3 million, I wouldn't be so hard on him. I actually wouldn't mind him, but a 5 million cap hit for a few goals, dwindling production, and a defensive game? Very frustrating seeing him in the top 6 night after night when he hasn't really done much this season. I know he's our captain, but I honestly feel no connection to him as our leader. He was honestly just made the captain of our team because he was the best candidate in a pool of not so great candidates. Like I have said a million times this year, Guys like Eller and AGally deserve to be in the top 6 much more, because they bring a much better offensive game with bigger bodies. Sure he was valuable to us in past seasons, and he does still bring some intangibles to the table but we just have better and younger options right now.

If it's just Gionta's cap hit that's bothering you, I wouldn't let it worry you this year. We've got some free cap space already, so I can't imagine that the extra $2M we'd have if Gionta had a lower contract would have really done much to better the team.

With 12 goals in 43 games, he is on pace for a 22-26 goal season if we played 82 games. That's only 4 or 5 less goals than he normally gets. He is playing great defensively with Tomas, so I don't get the problem. Natural career regression if you ask me. We knew what we were in for the last 2 years of his contract a while ago.