The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#21 Brian Gionta 2012-2013

ColRouleBleu

One of the few guys who kept his cool and stayed disciplined and actually kept his focus on playing and winning the geam. But I guess a real captain would have elbowed someone in the head or two handed a guy's leg and joined in a brawl to get thrown out of the game?

He's playing hurt, will probably need surgery in the offseason, and still gave us 18 quality minutes picking up an assist on our only goal. And we're in here slagging him.

The amount of disrepect he constantly gets sickens me.

I also thought he was one of the better players last night. I usually give Brian a hard time when he has an off night, but he was fine last night. Certainly not the problem right now.

I would take that one step further and say he embodies the solution.

One of the few guys who kept his cool and stayed disciplined and actually kept his focus on playing and winning the geam. But I guess a real captain would have elbowed someone in the head or two handed a guy's leg and joined in a brawl to get thrown out of the game?

He's playing hurt, will probably need surgery in the offseason, and still gave us 18 quality minutes picking up an assist on our only goal. And we're in here slagging him.

The amount of disrepect he constantly gets sickens me.

Agreed. He may not have scored but he wasnt a liability and contributed. He and pleks looked dangerous on several shifts, just couldnt capitalize. He absolutely deserves to be in the lineup - unlike some other forwards who I would frankly sub out for someone like Halpern if i were MT.

Absolutely, still Therrien could have said Gionta was crying when he heard the news :P

I just mean it seems Therrien is making it sound a tad more dramatic than it probably was

Considering he suffered the same injury last season on the other arm, i can see why Gio was so emotional.

He's the captain, he wants to go out there and help his club. he also knows there are guys playing who are pretty banged up themselves.

Considering he suffered the same injury last season on the other arm, i can see why Gio was so emotional.

He's the captain, he wants to go out there and help his club. he also knows there are guys playing who are pretty banged up themselves.

Im not saying Gio shouldnt be emotional, im saying Therrien just made it sound so dramatic. Gio has every right to be emotional.

Guest habs1952

Im not saying Gio shouldnt be emotional, im saying Therrien just made it sound so dramatic. Gio has every right to be emotional.

Therrien made Gio look like a 2 year old. All he needed to say was Gio was very upset.

Might not have been the right thing to say or he could've found different words.

Geuss it was the best words he found to describe the emotions Gio was feeling by not being able to help his team.

Also Gio's the captain, he wanted to paint his captain in a good light.

Might not have been the right thing to say or he could've found different words.

Geuss it was the best words he found to describe the emotions Gio was feeling by not being able to help his team.

Also Gio's the captain, he wanted to paint his captain in a good light.

Based on Therrien's interviews and stuff this year, I'm going to chalk it up to English benig his second language :P

Concerning to see him suffer two bicep injuries in two years. I think he drops down into an elder statesman third-line winger role next season and we reassess in summer 2014 when his current contract's up. He can still provide value, but his minutes have to be scaled back, particularly on the power play, where he was pretty useless for most of the year.