The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

From the Globe and Mail:

"The NHL and the union representing its players have struck a deal to allow unwanted players like Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez and New York Rangers defenceman Wade Redden to be bought out of their expensive contracts immediately."

Full article here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-and-nhlpa-reach-agreement-on-accelerated-buyouts/article7378852/

Guest habs1952

From the Globe and Mail:

"The NHL and the union representing its players have struck a deal to allow unwanted players like Montreal Canadiens centre Scott Gomez and New York Rangers defenceman Wade Redden to be bought out of their expensive contracts immediately."

Full article here:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/nhl-and-nhlpa-reach-agreement-on-accelerated-buyouts/article7378852/

So, if I've got this right, the Habs pay Gomez 5.5 mil this year with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Whatever the Habs have to pay to buyout his final year does not count against the cap the following two years.

So, if I've got this right, the Habs pay Gomez 5.5 mil this year with a cap hit of 6.5 mil. Whatever the Habs have to pay to buyout his final year does not count against the cap the following two years.

Actually,,,,,the 5.5 will be pro rated this year.

I found this on another site.

"The Habs plan on starting the process later today, which first begins with placing Gomez on waivers tomorrow. Once he clears, Gomez will become an unrestricted free agent.

Even if Gomez, or any other player bought out before Saturday, signs with a new team, their cap will on their former club will still count for this season only.

According to a well-placed source, several teams have already expressed an interest in Gomez, and talks will formally begin once he officially becomes a free agent.

There is a good chance Gomez will sign with a new club prior to the start of the season.

A second source said as many as five teams have already expressed preliminary interest in Gomez, all in the Western Conference."

I found this on another site.

"The Habs plan on starting the process later today, which first begins with placing Gomez on waivers tomorrow. Once he clears, Gomez will become an unrestricted free agent.

Even if Gomez, or any other player bought out before Saturday, signs with a new team, their cap will on their former club will still count for this season only.

According to a well-placed source, several teams have already expressed an interest in Gomez, and talks will formally begin once he officially becomes a free agent.

There is a good chance Gomez will sign with a new club prior to the start of the season.

A second source said as many as five teams have already expressed preliminary interest in Gomez, all in the Western Conference."

Thank goodness. I wouldn't want him returning to the Bell this season only to score a hat trick against us. :lol:

If I was our gm I would not buy out Gomez early there is no way I'm carrying his cap and allowing another team to have him play for them at a far reduced rate. I'm sorry mr Gomez I really like you but that's just not good for buisness unless I have Misunderstood something

If I was our gm I would not buy out Gomez early there is no way I'm carrying his cap and allowing another team to have him play for them at a far reduced rate. I'm sorry mr Gomez I really like you but that's just not good for buisness unless I have Misunderstood something

I'd be fine with using this advance compliance buyout and letting him play somewhere else. It's a difference of about $900,000 in cap savings if I understand correctly. I don't really think we need to care about $900,000 in cap savings right now. I'd let the guy go elsewhere and continue his career. We don't need to be malicious and force him out for the next 48 games.

I'd be fine with using this advance compliance buyout and letting him play somewhere else. It's a difference of about $900,000 in cap savings if I understand correctly. I don't really think we need to care about $900,000 in cap savings right now. I'd let the guy go elsewhere and continue his career. We don't need to be malicious and force him out for the next 48 games.

Actually we get the cap savins of $900K anyway under this option. There is no disadvantage to buying him out now (althgough there's technically no advantage either). The disadvantage to not buying him out is that it shines a poor light on how we treat our players which potential FAs will notice.

Actually we get the cap savins of $900K anyway under this option. There is no disadvantage to buying him out now (althgough there's technically no advantage either). The disadvantage to not buying him out is that it shines a poor light on how we treat our players which potential FAs will notice.

Agreed. We should allow Scott to continue his career. There's no reason why he shouldn't be able to go play hockey if the intention is to buyout his contract anyway. And if he comes back to haunt us at some point in this season then... Shame on us for letting that happen.

Actually,,,roy pointed out another small advantage. It opens up a spot regarding the 50 contracts teams are allowed.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Habs buying him out at all. It's not Scott's fault he was being paid more then his worth and it's not his fault that we traded for that albatross contract.

So... if PK holds out do we take a flyer on Redden? :lol:

Haha, you know if we didnt already have like 40 guys slated to play on our third pairing, Id probably take a sniff at redden. he's one of those guys whose contracts is SO bad that you just forget he's still a decent player. He was never $6.5m good, but if you could get him at $1m or something he could be a very solid 3rd pairing guy. We of course have so many of those its not even worth considering at this point.

One day after the NHL and NHL Players' Association reached an agreement on an accelerated compliance buyout, the Montreal Canadiens placed Scott Gomez on unconditional waivers on Wednesday.

Should he clear waivers on Thursday at Noon et, Montreal will be able to buy him out.

One day after the NHL and NHL Players' Association reached an agreement on an accelerated compliance buyout, the Montreal Canadiens placed Scott Gomez on unconditional waivers on Wednesday.

Should he clear waivers on Thursday at Noon et, Montreal will be able to buy him out.

Either way, the Canadiens have publicly made it known that Scott Gomez will never play another game for this team (under this contract, at least) and as such, it is my pleasure to move this oft-discussed thread to "around the league." Like the Habs, lets make a clean break, offer Scott our best wishes and agree that this was one experiment that didnt work out so well.

Lets look on the bright side though: at least we didnt end up with Vinny LeCavalier & his 7 years remaining on his contract. :):lol:

I feel a little bad for Gomez and Redden.

On the other hand, Gomez had ample time to show his worth. He never lived up to his contract in NY-which is why they traded him. He may have been bitter coming here, but if I were him, I would've done my best to make NY regret the trade.

I noticed last year he really tried to turn it around, but injuries kept him off the ice. He shouldn't have waited until last year to try and salvage his career.

I know someone who'll be disappointed Gomez isn't playing this year and I'm not talking about CBR. Have a friend who's been a huge Gomez fan, ever since he was traded. Don't ask me why she likes Gomez so much, I couldn't tell you. One yr for xmas we got her a signed Gomez T-Shirt with his name and number on it (was the old #91 T-Shirt).

I'm actually very excited for Redden. He's a player I used to really enjoy watching, but he became a victim of his own contract, getting trapped in the minors. This gives him an opportunity to return to the NHL, where I feel he rightly belongs. It will be interesting to see what teams will make a push for him.

As for Gomez, I do feel bad for him. He's had his struggles with the franchise, but he has mostly remained a consummate professional throughout. Additionally, he essentially arrived to Montreal, expecting to begin practising, only to be told at 7:30 AM to "forget it, your services aren't needed". That has to sting a little bit, but hopefully he does get a chance to play somewhere this year, even if it is in a minor role.

It's a real shame... New York will have Ryan McDonagh for years and we have NOTHING from that trade.

It is a shame & it does suck but we must remember that every team has their "bad trades" to remember. When I think how horribly Gainey got hosed on this deal, I try to remind myself of Rivet for Paccioretty and Gorges. :)

The thing is, as long as the team that is on the ice now (or in the near future) is good, then its a much easier pill to swallow. Lets hope that happens with us very soon because for right now, as we look at the gaping hole on defense, it does indeed sting.

Like the Habs, lets make a clean break, offer Scott our best wishes and agree that this was one experiment that didnt work out so well.

Now we just need to wait for McDonagh to retire and the experiment is truly over :lol: