The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Amnesty buyouts?

Noob616

I'm pretty sure that 2 amnesty buyouts per team are included in the tentative CBA deal. Assuming that's true, who would we use ours on?

I would probably go with Gomez and Kaberle. The only other real candidate I see is Bourque, but I'd rather stick it out and see if he can rebound. Kaberle at this point is getting 4.25M to play on the bottom pairing and 2nd PP unit, it's just bad value. Bourque can at least hold down a shift in the top 9.

I'm all giddy like a schoolgirl, actually talking about hockey :D

it depends on so many variables since they according to TSN analysts dont come into play until the offseason.

If we can find a cap floor team to take on gomez, do it and buy out Kaberle and Bourque.

Kaberle has a bad contract and we don't really need the D-man type that he is, if we can remove Kaberle i see our team next year looking like

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Diaz-St Denis, or a bigger physical defenseman, Tinordi type if he is ready.

Bourque is just too many years for the type of player we are getting, however theres a chance he becomes a 20-30 goal scorer so he may be worth hanging on to. If we cant move gomez you buy him out, and buy out one of bourque/kaberle depending on who has earned their chance to stay with the team IMO.

Guest habs1952

TSN is reporting no amnesty buyouts this year. Starts 2013/2014.

TSN

The new collective bargaining agreement signed between owners and players does not allow for amnesty buyouts until 2013-14, so fans anticipating the removal of underperforming centre Scott Gomez and his $7.3-million salary cap hit will be disappointed. Some would like to have seen veteran defenceman Tomas Kaberle's $4.25-million hit gone as well.

According to HIO....

Each team will be given the option of two “amnesty buyouts” that can be used to terminate contracts prior to the 2013-14 season or 2014-15 season. The buyouts will cost two-thirds of the remaining amount on a deal — paid evenly over twice its remaining length — and will count against the players’ overall share in revenues, but not the individual team’s salary cap.

Guest Regis2

Per TSN

" The cap is expected to rise to $70 million this season before shrinking back down to $64 million in 2013-2014. "

For next season buyout Gomez and Kaberle ( $ 9 M )

Try and trade Bourque ( $ 4 ) and Gionta ( $ 5 )

That frees up $18 M

Per TSN

" The cap is expected to rise to $70 million this season before shrinking back down to $64 million in 2013-2014. "

That frees up $18 M

Gomez's cap hit is 7.3, so it will clear that off the books. You're right on actual dollars but that's less important. Bourque is at 3.3 but I'd imagine it will be quite difficult to move him given his age and term. The fact is, the 2nd buyout will likely come down to Bourque or Kaberle, I'd say Bourque is the front runner just because of his term but we have 1 season to see if either plays at a reasonable level.

As for Gionta, he's an asset and I'm fine with him either way although if we could get good future value I wouldn't be opposed.

If we have an amnesty buyout to make next year I think we should consider using it on Rene Bourque. Depending on his overall performance this season, that is. Players like Gomez, Kaberle, and Markov will have only one year left on their contracts. They will be easier to trade should we wish to. Bourque will have three years left on his deal.

If we have an amnesty buyout to make next year I think we should consider using it on Rene Bourque. Depending on his overall performance this season, that is. Players like Gomez, Kaberle, and Markov will have only one year left on their contracts. They will be easier to trade should we wish to. Bourque will have three years left on his deal.

He would definitely be a candidate if we get another poor season out of him, especially with the option of two buyouts over the following 2 seasons.

Per TSN

That frees up $18 M

That's assuming the Molsons are willing to shell out the money to do so. I can see them pursuing a buyout on Gomez, but not sure they'd go much beyond that.

I'm with you JR. Keep in mind, too, that we're probably not realistically going to be chasing any championships next year, either. Even if we have to go through next year with some big contracts still on the books it will be more important to have more space cleared for the year after, when we might actually have a chance of making some noise.

Per TSN

That frees up $18 M

that should be the plan going forward

Well, regardless, we'll have this partial season to evaluate the buyout candidates. It's possible if one of Gomez or Kaberle have any sort of significant rebound that they could be tradeable in the off season since they'll only have a year left.

If Bourque still looks bad, he'd be a front-runner for me simply because of term.

I really wouldn't be looking to move Gionta unless we're getting good positive value back.

Gomez's cap hit is 7.3, so it will clear that off the books. You're right on actual dollars but that's less important. Bourque is at 3.3 but I'd imagine it will be quite difficult to move him given his age and term. The fact is, the 2nd buyout will likely come down to Bourque or Kaberle, I'd say Bourque is the front runner just because of his term but we have 1 season to see if either plays at a reasonable level.

As for Gionta, he's an asset and I'm fine with him either way although if we could get good future value I wouldn't be opposed.

Agreed. Obviously the key is going to be how players play. If Gomez comes back & miraculously puts up a PPG for the first 20 games, you'd have no problem moving him to a poor team that will be very interested in his $3m of free cap money for next year. If Bourque finds a way to get his game back, maybe he isnt such a bad guy to have around. There's even a chance Kaberle comes back playing like he did for so long in TO (unlikely) so trying to decide now is sort of tough.

That said, on paper, I would agree with Roy - Gomez is the "no brainer" (assuming we cant move him) and the second buyout is either Kaberle or Bourque. Yes, Kabs makes a bit more than Bourque but its only for 1 year. Bourque is what 4 more years?

It will be interesting to see what happens & who can rebound.

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what the new rules are about sending guys to the minors? Do their salaries now count against the cap, like they were talking about during the negotiations?

I believe i read that salary's count only if they are above a certain threshold ( i think it's in the neighborhood of 1 mill).

Thanks, HTL. I guess that pretty much kills any chances of Gomez getting sent down

HIO has a nice breakdown of the agreement. Here's the part relevant to your question.

Any player on a one-way contract who plays in the American Hockey League with a salary in excess of the NHL’s minimum salary plus $375,000 will have the excess amount charged against his team’s salary cap.