The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Training Camp

From the Montreal Gazette,,,

Bergevin said there will be 25 to 30 players in camp and the group will include 2012 first-round draft choice Alex Galchenyuk. Bergevin said the youngster has been impressive with Sarnia in the OHL and with the gold-medal U.S. junior team, but that his immediate future will depend on his play at camp.

There might also be a salary-cap concern. Bergevin has about $6 million to spend and that sum will drop after he signs Subban. Galchenyuk has a $3.2-million cap hit, but most of that represents bonus clauses and Bergevin isn't sure how these will be handled in the new CBA.

From Bob McKenzie via TSN:

"Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30)."

Here's the faults of that formula,,from the same article:

"The easy criticism of that matrix is that it creates issues in teams with one team markedly worse than the others, like the Atlantic or Central. Say you're the New York Rangers. If the Pittsburgh Penguins get an extra game against the New York Islanders, sweep them, and win the division by a point, you're not going to be thrilled.

Or, say you're the Detroit Red Wings, and you finish a point outside the playoffs. Ahead of you: the Chicago Blackhawks, who got an extra game against the Columbus Blue Jackets."

From Bob McKenzie via TSN:

"Each team plays: 4 games vs. two Divisional opponents (8); 5 games vs. two divisional opponents (10); 3 games vs 10 Conference rivals (30)."

Here's the faults of that formula,,from the same article:

"The easy criticism of that matrix is that it creates issues in teams with one team markedly worse than the others, like the Atlantic or Central. Say you're the New York Rangers. If the Pittsburgh Penguins get an extra game against the New York Islanders, sweep them, and win the division by a point, you're not going to be thrilled.

Or, say you're the Detroit Red Wings, and you finish a point outside the playoffs. Ahead of you: the Chicago Blackhawks, who got an extra game against the Columbus Blue Jackets."

Bingo. Dumb format. To be expected, coming from the idiots running the NHL right now.

Bob McKenzie is reporting that junior players can get a 5 game tryout, if they play a 6th it burns a year off their ELC.

Edit: Obviously it's back to the 9 game rule next season.

5 games is hardly enough time to see where players fit in with their teammates.

The bigger question about Gally is will we have the Cap space to give him that tryout? His hit is over 3 mill and we don't know how much PK is going to cost. Current Cap space is about 6 mill.

Guest habs1952

Bob McKenzie is reporting that junior players can get a 5 game tryout, if they play a 6th it burns a year off their ELC.

Edit: Obviously it's back to the 9 game rule next season.

I've heard it's 6 games.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

That is, team could play underage junior for 5 games without burning a year of his entry level contract. A 6th game, tho, would burn year.

Usually it's the 10 game rule. The prospect gets 9 games, if he plays the 10th it burns a year of the ELC.

Guest habs1952

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie

That is, team could play underage junior for 5 games without burning a year of his entry level contract. A 6th game, tho, would burn year.

Usually it's the 10 game rule. The prospect gets 9 games, if he plays the 10th it burns a year of the ELC.

6 games.

TSN

No doubbt, but keeping the old rule of 9 games he would be able to play about 21% of the games this year. Lowering it to 5 games in a 48 game season pretty much brings it on pace with the 9 games in a complete 82 game season.

Still, an evaluation of a player is done over a number of games, not a percentage of games. 5 games is probably less than an hour of ice time for most of these guys to make an impact. Another nonsensical rule put in place.

True but there's not really a great way to do it if you want all the games to stay within the conference.

No, there's not a good way. But I'd have started by making the intra-division games the constant and then had the unequal number be the inter-division games. This way, not only is the number of games against each team not the same, you also have an odd number of games against division rivals, meaning teams don't even have the same number of home games... for tie-breakers, we're going to have to start dropping certain games played to make that equal.

I'd have rather seen 6 games against the other 4 division teams, home-and-home with the other divisions, and then 4 extra games at random. For example, we could play the NYR and TB at home and Phi and Fla on the road, or something like that, as the extra 4 games. But would have made more sense to keep the division games constant and to use a bigger percentage on the rivalry games.

No, there's not a good way. But I'd have started by making the intra-division games the constant and then had the unequal number be the inter-division games. This way, not only is the number of games against each team not the same, you also have an odd number of games against division rivals, meaning teams don't even have the same number of home games... for tie-breakers, we're going to have to start dropping certain games played to make that equal.

I'd have rather seen 6 games against the other 4 division teams, home-and-home with the other divisions, and then 4 extra games at random. For example, we could play the NYR and TB at home and Phi and Fla on the road, or something like that, as the extra 4 games. But would have made more sense to keep the division games constant and to use a bigger percentage on the rivalry games.

Your suggestion really makes more sense in terms of getting to a final ranking at the end of the season. That being said, I prefer playing any other team than the Sens and the Sabres so if they dont end up being the teams for which we get the extra game, I'll be a happy camper.

Your suggestion really makes more sense in terms of getting to a final ranking at the end of the season. That being said, I prefer playing any other team than the Sens and the Sabres so if they dont end up being the teams for which we get the extra game, I'll be a happy camper.

Lol, I feel like we play those two more than we actually do. They're kind of annoying teams to play, but the games aren't overly entertaining. Bruin games, on the other hand, are always intense, and it's always fun to beat up on the Leafs. That being said, I'd rather play Ott and Buf than have to watch games against NJ or Fla or Car...

As long as we are playing hockey, I could care less about the schedule. As long as we aren't competing for the playoffs, it won't really make a huge difference IMO. I can see why people would be upset, especially if we do compete for the playoffs and have a tougher schedule, but 4 months without hockey has made me apathetic towards the schedule.

Except a Habs-Wings game in the Joe would be nice now that I live 30 mins away.

I am 100% opposed to Gally starting the year with the habs.

Financially and fundamentally it makes no sense. We're not going to be good, were up against the cap and Gally is a year behind in development.

1- Wait until Gomez is amnestied in the summer.

2- Let him play major minutes in junior while putting on more muscle.

3- Bring him in to center the second line in 2013-14.

I'm not really sure why this isn't obvious to all. This is a short transition season and ill be surprised if we do anything but battle for an 8th spot with or without Gally. Lets not ruin another prospect especially one who actually has legit talent.

I am 100% opposed to Gally starting the year with the habs.

Financially and fundamentally it makes no sense. We're not going to be good, were up against the cap and Gally is a year behind in development.

1- Wait until Gomez is amnestied in the summer.

2- Let him play major minutes in junior while putting on more muscle.

3- Bring him in to center the second line in 2013-14.

I'm not really sure why this isn't obvious to all. This is a short transition season and ill be surprised if we do anything but battle for an 8th spot with or without Gally. Lets not ruin another prospect especially one who actually has legit talent.

I personally would not even give Galchenyuk any of the "tryout" games that you can give a junior. The memory of Latendresse is too fresh, Galchenyuk can still benefit from the juniors, and the team is not deep enough to hide him and ease him in either.

I personally would not even give Galchenyuk any of the "tryout" games that you can give a junior. The memory of Latendresse is too fresh, Galchenyuk can still benefit from the juniors, and the team is not deep enough to hide him and ease him in either.

I disagree WJ,,IMO, Gally can't learn how to be better by playing in the OHL, (his peers). He can only learn how to play better by playing against "better players/teams". Latvia,,and Germany are trying to move up in the WJC,,and the only way they can do that is by playing better teams. IMO, if you want to improve,,,,you have to play against better players.

JM2C

I'm not sure I buy the fear in terms of bringing Gally up. By the time he leaves training camp there will be 25 or so games left in Sarnia for him to play, probably not going to make much of a difference development wise. I do get the argument that the playoffs could end up being valuable, but they could also end up being 4 quick games whether he's dominant or not. I watch Galchenyuk in Sarnia and I see a player who is at times almost toying with the competition and playing an extremely wide open system. I'm not sure how much he has left to learn there. Physically, he has the strength IMO to survive at the NHL level. I get why we're still scared from the Latendresse experience but Latendresse wasn't the same level of player and he needed AHL time, he needed to be sent down not for 1 more year but at least 2 and possibly 2.5-3. IF Galchenyuk goes down this year, there's an enormous chance he's on the big roster next year and the odds of him ever playing in Hamilton seem minuscule at this point.

The question of burning the ELC is probably what the major debate is and I could go either way on it. I think the Seguin model makes a lot of sense and I think if the organization deems he's capable of 12-14 minutes a night the experience and development would be far and away more valuable than burning another 25 games in the OHL. With the resources we have, I'm more worried about his developing than I am about saving a year. Especially since with the bonuses it's not like we're saving THAT much on his ELC relative to his 2nd contract unless he's a megastar, in which case he will belong in the NHL now anyway.

I watch Galchenyuk in Sarnia and I see a player who is at times almost toying with the competition and playing an extremely wide open system.

This was what I found when I saw him play Guelph in November. He had a bad game and wasn't really engaged, but still put up 4 points. The OHL is a joke to him.

I'm not sure I buy the fear in terms of bringing Gally up. By the time he leaves training camp there will be 25 or so games left in Sarnia for him to play, probably not going to make much of a difference development wise. I do get the argument that the playoffs could end up being valuable, but they could also end up being 4 quick games whether he's dominant or not. I watch Galchenyuk in Sarnia and I see a player who is at times almost toying with the competition and playing an extremely wide open system. I'm not sure how much he has left to learn there. Physically, he has the strength IMO to survive at the NHL level. I get why we're still scared from the Latendresse experience but Latendresse wasn't the same level of player and he needed AHL time, he needed to be sent down not for 1 more year but at least 2 and possibly 2.5-3. IF Galchenyuk goes down this year, there's an enormous chance he's on the big roster next year and the odds of him ever playing in Hamilton seem minuscule at this point.

The question of burning the ELC is probably what the major debate is and I could go either way on it. I think the Seguin model makes a lot of sense and I think if the organization deems he's capable of 12-14 minutes a night the experience and development would be far and away more valuable than burning another 25 games in the OHL. With the resources we have, I'm more worried about his developing than I am about saving a year. Especially since with the bonuses it's not like we're saving THAT much on his ELC relative to his 2nd contract unless he's a megastar, in which case he will belong in the NHL now anyway.

Very good point about the number of games left to play in the OHL. Remaining in the bigs and playing those 48 games in a limited role – maybe as a third/fourth liner with some PP time on the 2nd wave – may well be better for his development in the long run than going back to Sarnia. If he lives up to his potential, I couldn't care less about the 'lost' year on the ELC and instead sign him to a long-term deal early. He's a #3 pick that might have been picked higher if it wasn't for his injury according to some sources, anything else than him NOT becoming a top 6 or even top 3 forward would be a disappointment anyway.

As I'm not that familiar with the technicalities under the new CBA, would it still be possible to send him to the AHL next year if he actually stayed in the NHL and played all 48 games?