The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Training Camp

Very good point about the number of games left to play in the OHL. Remaining in the bigs and playing those 48 games in a limited role – maybe as a third/fourth liner with some PP time on the 2nd wave – may well be better for his development in the long run than going back to Sarnia. If he lives up to his potential, I couldn't care less about the 'lost' year on the ELC and instead sign him to a long-term deal early. He's a #3 pick that might have been picked higher if it wasn't for his injury according to some sources, anything else than him NOT becoming a top 6 or even top 3 forward would be a disappointment anyway.

As I'm not that familiar with the technicalities under the new CBA, would it still be possible to send him to the AHL next year if he actually stayed in the NHL and played all 48 games?

Under the old CBA I think the answer was yes - he could play in the AHL, without waivers or anything, as long as he hadn't played x number of total NHL games or played games in z number of seasons (I don't remember the specifics). In the new rules, though, who knows

I disagree WJ,,IMO, Gally can't learn how to be better by playing in the OHL, (his peers). He can only learn how to play better by playing against "better players/teams". Latvia,,and Germany are trying to move up in the WJC,,and the only way they can do that is by playing better teams. IMO, if you want to improve,,,,you have to play against better players.

JM2C

He has nothing more to prove in junior, he needs to play with men now either with us or the dogs

I personally would not even give Galchenyuk any of the "tryout" games that you can give a junior. The memory of Latendresse is too fresh, Galchenyuk can still benefit from the juniors, and the team is not deep enough to hide him and ease him in either.

Latendresse wasnt anywhere close to the same level

As I'm not that familiar with the technicalities under the new CBA, would it still be possible to send him to the AHL next year if he actually stayed in the NHL and played all 48 games?

Under the old CBA, players have to first be offered to the team from which they came (i.e. their junior team) in the first two season after they are drafted, if they are drafted in the year they turn 18. Galchenyuk fits this criteria. He may play in the AHL this season or next only if his junior team has been eliminated AND he has been placed on the minor league roster as a potential player. I don't think this has been amended in any way under the new CBA, so basically it's NHL or Sarnia for Gally this year and next unless he goes to the AHL after the Sting are knocked out. To me, it makes more sense to keep Gally in Montreal, so long as he gets 2nd/3rd line minutes. If the plan is to play him every 3rd game and rotate him into the 4th line, then he's better off in Sarnia. But there have been plenty of guys who have succeeded in the NHL as 18-19 year-olds when given the chance to play the role they're accustomed to so to me, it's worth at least a 5-game look, especially given the glaring hole we have on the 2nd line.

Galchenyuk has nothing left to prove in the juniors. It's pretty useless for him to play there right now. He needs to learn from professional players in the NHL.

You can't compare Galchenyuk to other players (Latendresse), every person is different and will react differently from situations. Galch is a very serious and committed guy (just look at his conditioning regiment).

I would personally put him with Plekanec on the "second" line. Pleky is a great role model to follow, his work ethic and respect is amazing.

I think Gally starts the season if there are players who aren't quite in shape or won't be by the end of the week. Unless he absolutely thrives in 5 games I'd send him back to finish the season in Sarnia and retain his ELC for the year

I wonder what MB would think of that idea,,,,with the cap and all :rolleyes: . If he got 3 PTs. in those 5 games,,,what would you do, Jb? :lol:

I wonder what MB would think of that idea,,,,with the cap and all :rolleyes: . If he got 3 PTs. in those 5 games,,,what would you do, Jb? :lol:

Just on a point basis who knows, depending where he plays if he gets 3 points, plays great defensively, is winning battles, looks good on the PP and is clearly better than say Bourque on that 2nd line LW spot then it's a tough call. If he gets a lucky 3 points playing sub 10mins, is getting out muscled and isn't doing well on all other facets of the game then I'd say its not worth using up a year in a shortened season. He can then go back knowing first hand what he needs to work on and jump in next year. Basically what I was getting to is he is in mid season shape and most aren't even close so if you can use him while others get in better shape in a week or 2 then it's not a bad option

Just on a point basis who knows, depending where he plays if he gets 3 points, plays great defensively, is winning battles, looks good on the PP and is clearly better than say Bourque on that 2nd line LW spot then it's a tough call. If he gets a lucky 3 points playing sub 10mins, is getting out muscled and isn't doing well on all other facets of the game then I'd say its not worth using up a year in a shortened season. He can then go back knowing first hand what he needs to work on and jump in next year. Basically what I was getting to is he is in mid season shape and most aren't even close so if you can use him while others get in better shape in a week or 2 then it's not a bad option

Good points, and I am sure that MB will be watching very closely to what he brings to the table.

Under the old CBA, players have to first be offered to the team from which they came (i.e. their junior team) in the first two season after they are drafted, if they are drafted in the year they turn 18. Galchenyuk fits this criteria. He may play in the AHL this season or next only if his junior team has been eliminated AND he has been placed on the minor league roster as a potential player. I don't think this has been amended in any way under the new CBA, so basically it's NHL or Sarnia for Gally this year and next unless he goes to the AHL after the Sting are knocked out. To me, it makes more sense to keep Gally in Montreal, so long as he gets 2nd/3rd line minutes. If the plan is to play him every 3rd game and rotate him into the 4th line, then he's better off in Sarnia. But there have been plenty of guys who have succeeded in the NHL as 18-19 year-olds when given the chance to play the role they're accustomed to so to me, it's worth at least a 5-game look, especially given the glaring hole we have on the 2nd line.

He has to be given a shot, he is a lottery selection with very special skills and like you say he would look amazing on the 2nd line with Gionta and Plek

Actually, a lot of our young players brought up from the AHL have thrived in their first few games... Patches, D'ags(think he had like 3 goals in his first 2 games), SK, even Laps. Some say it's due to the adrenaline.

We've seen from the past that a hot hand in their first few games at the NHL level means nothing.

Granted, gally is a huge cut above these players.

If it were any other city apart from Montreal or Toronto, I'd say bring the kid up. You know how impatient our fans and media are here.

I'm not contesting he has the talent to play in the NHL at 18. The way he played at the WJC and in Sarnia this season, the kid has the stuff.

I'd just like to see the habs protect it's young players a bit better.

Really, is Gally going to be the difference between us making the post season this year?

I highly doubt it.

It's a half season, we came off our worst season in ages. The fans and media are looking for the next savior.

With the talent this kid possesses, he'll be a key player going forward. Type of player a team is built around.

I'm just tired of seeing the habs bringing up young guys and throwing em to the wolves... Price, Patches, Lats, Subban, Eller, etc...

Again, it's a half season where we'll probably finish out of the playoff picture. Let the kid finish his jr career with the sting, if they get eliminated, bring him to Hamilton and regroup next season. If there's injuries, then bring him up. But don't bring him up only to show off your newly acquired draft pick and risk the chance that he'll be torn apart by the fans and media.

He'll have many years to showcase his talent in a habs uni. let's finish this horrible era with outrageous contracts and bring him up when we have a team that can benefit from his talent. Koivu gave the habs his best years, he took every negative thing printed or said about him in stride, dealt with cancer, almost lost an eye.

Until the media and fans learn to appreciate our young talent, let's protect them a bit.

Oilers were smart, kept Eberle in their farm system until they had something to show on the ice(and this kid could've joined the Oilers out of jr). Despite still being in the basement, the fans at least appreciate all the young talent on the ice and can see the future.

Apart from getting a glimpse at our 1st round draft pick, I don't see much point in bringing him in to be part of a losing cause.

he's at the top of the scoring race with 61 points-right behind Strome. let the kid fight for the scoring race and bring him into camp next season with a fresh start, where he gets pre-season games and a full season and maybe a competitive team. Teams a mess right now, so many uncertainties, a few bad contracts and no one to really pair him with.

I just don't see the point with the shortened season and the habs status.

I just don't buy into the theory that you have to send your prospects back to the minors to develop and protect them. Just because the last few guys the Habs have tried to bring up early have hit some snags, it doesn't mean the same will happen to Galchenyuk. Lots of teams have successfully played junior-age players in the NHL before. And to boot, Galchenyuk has shown a lot of maturity for his age, has decent enough size not to be out-powered by grown men, and has proven he can dominate at the OHL level. It could be a disservice to him to send him back to a place where he isn't challenged to be a better player. One can harp on Latendresse not being that great, but he was, to be polite, a little out of shape and lazy, which Galchenyuk is not. Gally is a much better prospect and was drafted #3 overall (and could have been a legitimate #1 overall), not a 2nd rounder.

A few guys who have had success after joining the NHL in their draft year: Stamkos, Nugent-Hopkins, Tavares, Hall, Yzerman, Mario Lemieux, Crosby, Jeff Skinner, and Ray Bourque, to name a few. If a guy's ready, he's ready, no matter what his age. And while Gally missed almost a year for rehab, he's had an extra 4-5 months to physically mature and he's got an advantage in conditioning, having been playing competitively while many NHLers have been off for 6-7 months. To boot, we have a glaring hole in the top 6. I'd at least be curious to see how he does in a few games, not so much for his production, but to see if he can keep pace with the speed and the physicality of the NHL game. If he can, I'd keep him. I'd love to see what he can do with Plekanec, but I'd prefer to put Pleks with Pacman and Gionta and allow Gally to draw slightly easier match-ups playing with DD and Cole. What I don't want to see is his playing on the 4th line because in that case, I'd agree he'd be better off in the minors. The Habs have too often made the mistake of throwing rookies into roles they're not used to playing and expecting them to produce as they were in the AHL or junior. But if we did like other teams and put scorers in scoring roles, I think we'd have a much better chance at having them succeed. There's no better time to give that theory a shot than to try it out with the highest pick we've had in years.

Dumont, Gallagher, Tinordi, and Commodore invited to Habs camp, along with Galchenyuk. No Leblanc or St-Denis. Palushaj, I believe, is injured, but that's got to be a slap in the face for LL. Can't say he deserved an invite though, based on how poorly he's played this season.

In theory, Commodore could push for the 7th spot, but Tinordi likely has no shot. Gallagher is sitting behind Gio and Cole on the RW depth chart, so he won't crack the top 6 and it'll be hard for him to unseat anyone in under a week. Dumont may have an outside shot at a 4th line job. Out of that group, it really seems as though Galchenyuk has the best shot of sticking.

I'm not sure I buy the fear in terms of bringing Gally up. By the time he leaves training camp there will be 25 or so games left in Sarnia for him to play, probably not going to make much of a difference development wise. I do get the argument that the playoffs could end up being valuable, but they could also end up being 4 quick games whether he's dominant or not. I watch Galchenyuk in Sarnia and I see a player who is at times almost toying with the competition and playing an extremely wide open system. I'm not sure how much he has left to learn there. Physically, he has the strength IMO to survive at the NHL level. I get why we're still scared from the Latendresse experience but Latendresse wasn't the same level of player and he needed AHL time, he needed to be sent down not for 1 more year but at least 2 and possibly 2.5-3. IF Galchenyuk goes down this year, there's an enormous chance he's on the big roster next year and the odds of him ever playing in Hamilton seem minuscule at this point.

The question of burning the ELC is probably what the major debate is and I could go either way on it. I think the Seguin model makes a lot of sense and I think if the organization deems he's capable of 12-14 minutes a night the experience and development would be far and away more valuable than burning another 25 games in the OHL. With the resources we have, I'm more worried about his developing than I am about saving a year. Especially since with the bonuses it's not like we're saving THAT much on his ELC relative to his 2nd contract unless he's a megastar, in which case he will belong in the NHL now anyway.

Not a bad point, I haven't factored in the partial-season factor - oversight on my part.

My main worry is just whether we have the offensive depth to protect him or support him properly. The Seguin model worked because Boston is a very well-built and well-rounded team. That's not to say it WON'T work with the Habs, or that he wouldn't be able to take advantage of certain opportunities, but this is potentially the best prospect we've had in camp since Carey Price. I don't want to screw this one up.

Not a bad point, I haven't factored in the partial-season factor - oversight on my part.

My main worry is just whether we have the offensive depth to protect him or support him properly. The Seguin model worked because Boston is a very well-built and well-rounded team. That's not to say it WON'T work with the Habs, or that he wouldn't be able to take advantage of certain opportunities, but this is potentially the best prospect we've had in camp since Carey Price. I don't want to screw this one up.

Price did pretty well considering the expectations he faced hitting the big club. Subban was asked to be a top 4 D man in the playoffs when we called him up. Pacioretty has developed nicely even though he was probably rushed up a bit at the start of his career. The point is that guys who have the drive to succeed won't have their careers screwed up by one season in the NHL. At some point, they have to make the jump, and I think Gally is as ready now as he will be next season. I think we have guys like Gio, Pleks, Pacman, Cole, and even Gomez, who can help him along, so long as we play him in a role that suits him. I don't favor sheltering him on the 4th line with spurts on the 1nd or 3rd. If we keep him, we play him in the top 6 and let him do what he does best. The only sheltering that counts is making sure the team supports him if and when he hits a slump and the media jumps all over him. Otherwise, I think the kid will be fine.

From Bergevin's presser this morning:

Habs will have an intra-squad game Thursday at the Bell Centre (could be open to the public but this has yet to be confirmed). They called up 5 additional Bulldogs for this: Leblanc, Blunden, Holland, Bournival and St-Denis.

As an aside, Matt Darche found a tryout with the NJ Devils.

I hope it works out for him

Blunden, Leblanc, Holland, Bournival, St-Denis will be called up to play an intra-squad game Thursday. Not being considered to make the team out of camp, but it gives you an idea of where certain players stand in the call-up order. Doesn't say much for the guys not being considered (Nash, Palushaj if not still injured, Beaulieu, etc.)...