The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Training Camp

I'm back, let's have a great season!

GO HABS GO!

+1 :rolleyes:

A packed house at the Canadiens practice facility took in the team's first skate under Michel Therrien. The new Habs coach kept last season's best line of David Desharnais between Pacioretty and Erik Cole together. Lars Eller moved into Plekanec's spot on the next line between Gionta and third overall draft pick Alex Galchenyuk, who showed some nifty hands and a fine wrist shot.

Newcomer Brandon Prust was at centre with Travis Moen and Rene Bourque, while Ryan White centred Colby Armstrong and prospect Brendan Gallagher, with Gabriel Dumont slotting in.

Russian defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin played together, while Tomas Kaberle was in Subban's place with Josh Gorges. Francis Bouillon was paired with Rafael Diaz and Jarred Tinordi with Yannick Weber.

Carey Price and Peter Budaj are the only goalies in camp.

A packed house at the Canadiens practice facility took in the team's first skate under Michel Therrien. The new Habs coach kept last season's best line of David Desharnais between Pacioretty and Erik Cole together. Lars Eller moved into Plekanec's spot on the next line between Gionta and third overall draft pick Alex Galchenyuk, who showed some nifty hands and a fine wrist shot.

Newcomer Brandon Prust was at centre with Travis Moen and Rene Bourque, while Ryan White centred Colby Armstrong and prospect Brendan Gallagher, with Gabriel Dumont slotting in.

Russian defencemen Andrei Markov and Alexei Emelin played together, while Tomas Kaberle was in Subban's place with Josh Gorges. Francis Bouillon was paired with Rafael Diaz and Jarred Tinordi with Yannick Weber.

Carey Price and Peter Budaj are the only goalies in camp.

It looks to me that we could see galchenyuk on that 2nd line afterall imo I prefer eller playing a 3rd line center roll subbing in as second line center muuch like staal did in pits. Eller plays much better at center then he does on the wing so imo it only makes sense we start our top 3 with

Pac dd cole

Galch plek gio

Rene eller moen

Let our top prospect learn alongside 2 vets one of which a center whose come up through the franchise and the other who happens to be our captain..... I personally don't see anything but that being the best option right now for his development

Hard to tell which is the 3rd and which is the 4th line from practice today. Should become more clear when Plekanec comes back where everyone actually fits into Therrien's plans.

And just a thought, as I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with Commodore being a right-handed D man, does that give him any type of an edge on Bouillon or Kaberle for a 3rd-pairing spot? Yes, Weber and Diaz are both righties, but they're both offensive guys, neither of whom is a good pairing for Kaberle. If the plan is to use Kaberle on the 3rd pairing, it could be a nice battle to see if Commodore (being the bigger player and a right-handed shot) can unseat Bouillon (who is a coach's favorite, it seems).

And just a thought, as I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but with Commodore being a right-handed D man, does that give him any type of an edge on Bouillon or Kaberle for a 3rd-pairing spot? Yes, Weber and Diaz are both righties, but they're both offensive guys, neither of whom is a good pairing for Kaberle. If the plan is to use Kaberle on the 3rd pairing, it could be a nice battle to see if Commodore (being the bigger player and a right-handed shot) can unseat Bouillon (who is a coach's favorite, it seems).

Commodore is a real dark horse. I know he was brought in for the AHL but this guy is still relatively young (33) big, strong a team player & for a while there a legitimate top 4 guy. I know he's bounced around a lot because he never lived up to his potential (he was drafted high and expected to be possibly a #2 dman) but like you, I wonder if he still has what it takes to be a solid 3rd pairing guy.

Subban-Gorges

Markov-Emelin

Commodore-Kaberle

Assuming Markie, Kabs & Commodore could return to something of their old form, this might not be a bad top 6 to be honest... and that still leaves guys like Diaz, Weber & Cube around if needed.

still, I dont see Commodore making the big club, but who knows.

I agree that the odds are against Commodore making the club, but a lot of that has to do with the fact that Bouillon is a known commodity to the Montreal fans and to Michel Therrien. He was brought in to play on the big club, although there was never a guarantee it would be as a regular or as a 7th D man.

The bigger problem for Commodore is that he also needs to surpass our two young Swiss D men on the depth chart to make the team and doing so means one or both would be exposed to waivers and likely lost. Subban being unsigned adds a twist to the mix (and the need for a right-handed D man who can play the penalty kill), but it would still remain easier to keep Bouillon, Diaz, and/or Weber and simply recall Commodore if and when he's needed (injury, trade of one of the younger guys, etc.). Since recall waivers have been eliminated under the new CBA, Commodore would be free to come back up so long as he clears waivers on the way down to Hamilton again.

Subban still not signed and in camp, this is ridiculous

Subban is going to have to be more realistic ad drive his price down, other than Bergevin working some magic and moving a high priced D and or forward (Kaberle, Markov, Bourque) there won't be room to make it work, not without depleting the team for the next couple years. Who knows how fans will react and where the cap will be 2 or 3 years down the road.

In Mon. training camp,,,Prust and White meet at center ice and drop their gloves. Prust then proceeds to give Ryan a few tips on fighting.:

"Veteran advice can go a long way for a young player on the ice, and while that generally applies to the more technical elements of the game, it also applies to fighting, as Prust was happy to demonstrate.

“He’s definitely a strong kid and willingness is everything,” explained Prust on his sparring session with White that appeared to cover everything from jersey grabs, to head movement, to counterpunches. “If I can pass along to him a couple of things that I’ve learned along the way, hopefully it will help him out.”

Across the room, White, who endeared himself to fans last season with his willingness to go toe-to-toe with anyone who crossed his teammates, was clearly happy with the Habs’ newest additions."

:lol:

Even 5 seconds is still time on the PK.

If that's the case than literally everyone who was on the roster last year killed penalties. No one got 0:00 on the PK.

Although my point was that Desharnais wasn't really in our regular rotation of PKers.

Not that one intra-squad game is a big predictor of things to come, but at least Kaberle and Bourque looked pretty good tonight. Can't say the same for too many of the other guys. A lot of the players looked extremely slow and out of sync, which is not unexpected given the layoff. I did like what I saw out of St-Denis, Holland, Desharnais, Markov, Pacioretty, and Bouillon, but here's to hoping the other squads look equally rusty to start the year.