The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Shootouts,,,Who Would You Pick?

kinot-1

Let's face it,,,,shootouts, like them or lump them, are a fact of hockey. We lose ( a lot <_< ) more than we win. Personally IMO, it's because our "goal scorers" can't score on a clear-cut breakaway (with time to figure it all out), for whatever reason. Carey holds us in the game, but then we fail to score in the SO, and I am getting a tad sick and tired of the same ones, (with little variation), trying the same moves and failing to get the job done when it counts.

IMHO,,,I would try (in no particular order), Prust,,,, Eller,,,,Diaz,,,possibly White,,,PK,,,and some others that we haven't seen. What have we got to lose <_< because we're already losing more than our fair share.

So, who would you like to see in the SO? After all,,,,we can't do any worse than MT's picks, or can we? :unsure:

I'm not trying unskilled players like Prust or White, personally. I think you lean on your skill guys. Galchenyuk and Desharnais for sure, Gionta has a good career history but he's in a funk right now so I'd go to Eller followed by Gallagher. I'm still not ready to say Gionta won't get it going.

My choices would depend a few few things. If we're in a shootout after a high scoring game, say 4-4, I'm going with my skilled guys who were hot in this particular game. In a game like yesterday, I'd go with the forwards record in shootout and who is good in practice. My choices last night for the first 3 were the same as the coach, Pleki however would be lower on my list. I'd probably chose Bourque if he's healthy but obviously he wasn't available so maybe I'd have gone with Eller. Not Cole or Pacioretty though as I dont think they're the guys for that situation. Markov and Subban could be options as well when the shootout drags on.

My initial pool of guys would be

- Desharnais

- Bourque

- Galchenyuk

- Eller

2nd grouping:

- Gionta

- Subban

- Gallagher

- Markov

However, I'd also be willing to trump this depending on who's playing well that night and who wants to take the shots. You have to have the confidence to do it, so if a guy's feeling it one game, I'd be willing to give him a go.

My initial pool of guys would be

- Desharnais

- Bourque

- Galchenyuk

- Eller

2nd grouping:

- Gionta

- Subban

- Gallagher

- Markov

However, I'd also be willing to trump this depending on who's playing well that night and who wants to take the shots. You have to have the confidence to do it, so if a guy's feeling it one game, I'd be willing to give him a go.

I was coming on to post my starting three of DD, Bourque and Galchenyuk but I see you beat me to it.

I like your second group too.

I also like all of the picks last night except for Pleks. Asside from who you listed above, the following people should also shoot before Pleks:

Patches, Cole, Diaz, Moen, Emelin, Prust, White, Gorges, Armstrong, Bouillon, Carey, Budaj, MT, Groux, Gallant, JJ Daignaut, Bergevin (if he's at the game), the stick boy, Dr. Mulder, Youpi (if it's a home game).

Guest habs1952

Anyone who can stick handle, deke and shoot. So basically skill guys who have more options than non-skill guys. Oh, and anyone who can take the puck to the net with speed.

1. David Desharnais

2. Alex Galchenyuk

3. Rene Bourque(When he's healthy, otherwise bump everybody up one spot and add one of the other 5)

4. Lars Eller

5. Max Pacioretty

After that, I'd go with Gionta, Gallagher, Markov, Subban maybe Cole depending on who's playing better in the game, I'd also dtermine a little of the order of the top 5 depending on who's playing better.

well, Ryder would have to be considered for top 3. I would go as far as to say that he was picked part to help us get a few extra points this year on shootouts. But I admit I have not checked his shootout record. He is a shooter and most shootout goals seem to come from shots rather than attempts to deke the goalie. The percentage seem to be better for the scorer when they just let it fly. Of course, we have seen Desharnais do it both ways, but he has unfortunately been a glaring exception among our shootour participants.

edit: wow he was only 1 of 7 with dallas last year, 1of 5 with Boston year before

guess I stand corrected, but I will leave the post up anyways :)

• 2 months later...

1. Alex Galchenyuk.

2. David Desharnais.

3. Max Pacioretty.

Probably consider Rene Bourque, Brendan Gallagher, and Lars Eller in any subsequent spots.

Jennifer: I would take Pacman, Galchenyuk and Gallagher among today's Habs. Now for all time in a shootout situation, and life and history won't allow it to happen, but if I had one player all time on the Habs that I would fear the most in a shootout, it would have to be Maurice Richard. Can you magine the goalies today having to face him with his eyes wide open, flashing and gleaming like a pinball machine? And Richard would gone right over them if it meant scoring. I would have also been afraid of Howie Morenz, Jean Belieau and Guy Lafleur.

I've been studying shootouts this past season and one thing I've noticed may surprise some people.

Just look at our team in shootouts, forget what they do on the ice, I'm talking shootouts. Our best SO players to date are DD and Gio, interesting since they're both small. I have a theory on this... just looking at our Habs and our SO record, which isn't very good, seems to be that our small forwards have an advantage. I believe their small stature is harder for goalie's to read than a big 6'3 shooter. Small players have a shorter reach, therefore their puck handling/stickhandling doesn't have as wide of a motion that a taller player would have. Especially today where players are encouraged to play with longer sticks, the longer sticks force players to stick handle way out in front of themselves, making it easier on tenders to pick up on the shooters intentions. This is one of the few areas where being small could be an asset.

It's still not proven, just a theory I've been visiting. But it makes sense, specially myself being a tender, I'd much rather have a shooter with a longer reach to better anticipate his shot. The short reach may be better for stickhandling, but to swing in around and tuck the puck around the tender, that's where the long reach would be beneficial. But for stickhandling and shooting, I feel the smaller player with his shorter reach would have the advantage.

• 2 months later...

I love Galchenyuk in the shootout, and would love to see Subban also.

I seen an article on

Doing Some Research: Canadiens Choices For the Shootout

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/11/15/2563887/doing-some-research-canadiens-choices-for-the-shootout

I was shocked at Plekanec at 15%