Ryder traded to Montreal for Cole

roy_133

now if we traded the cole that played here last year i would be unhappy

The truth ;)

GO COLE!

We're getting the band back together.

do not like the sounds of that

Good deal. Big deal.

Cole will be 35 next year. Ryder is two years younger and performed excellently with Boston in the playoffs in 2011 and I remember having watched most of Boston's games in the final series hoping they would beat the Canucks ( I live in Victoria on Vancouver island and took a lot of heat as a kid for liking Montreal and Im sick of Vancouver's "were better" attitude though they have earned the respect they deserve I still hope they never win a cup).

Anyways, Ryder's contract is expiring if worst comes to worst so no harm in the future, and Cole would only be getting older and older I was never a fan of the signing though he proved to be an "ok" power forward at his best.

Will Ryder wear his ruins Stanley Cup ring in the dressing room? :rolleyes:

Who cares, players that are rivals in divisions always end up switching to another team in that same division. Colby Armstrong is a hab this year, Mikael Grabobski has been a leaf for a few. Its a business ,and a hockey team is a marketed product. Ryder's earned his stripes in this business, had 17 points in 25 games in a solid playoff run with the Bruins.

Who are any of us to say he can't wear his Boston ring?

First reaction was a little bit of shock, given how well the team has been playing and how the guys have been talking about the great chemistry in the room this year. That said, I think I am reluctantly happy about this trade. I like Cole as a player better than Ryder, but I think this trade does good things for the team:

1. Clearly the biggest advantage is the salary dump, not only with the 1M this year (which is tiny when pro-rated over only 20-30 games) but with the next two years saving us 4.5M a year.

2. Ryder is a UFA, so if it doesn't work out, we can dump him and start over. It gives us a chance to explore the UFA market and to see whether a guy like Kristo is ready next year.

3. Ryder is younger and while he isn't as good a skater as Cole, he has a better shot. Cole lost a bit of his drive to the net this season, so all in all, the offensive talent is probably similar.

4. Nice to get another right-handed shot with skill into the line-up. Might help on the PP, where we don't have a ton of righties.

5. The 3rd round pick is just gravy. Dallas likely won't finish too high up the standings, so it should be a decent 3rd-rounder in a deep draft.

The deal may hurt us a touch in the short term or it may have an upside. The on-ice change likely isn't high one way or the other but it's a good deal from a business perspective.

When we look back at this trade the 3rd round pick may be the factor

I been thinking , I kinda like it because we free the money looking at having to sign desharnais this summer and the UFA pool this summer. Im guessing Kaberle is being traded or bought out so its gonna give us ~9 extra million going into this summer.

YES!

Now we just need to bring back the kostitsyns, kovalev, souray, dandenault, and see if Mike Johnson wants to centre the 4th line.

:lol: God help us.................................and bite your tongue ;)

:rolleyes:

Cole has 2 years after this year at 4.5 and Ryder is a pending UFA. The last 2 years on Cole were concerning for me so this is nice.

Yeah, at first glance I was like, "God, Ryder?? Really?" But this gets us out from under Cole's cap hit, which is just dandy. IMO we got the best season any team's going to get out of him last year. Ryder can give us some scoring punch for the remainder of the season at any rate.

Yeah, at first glance I was like, "God, Ryder?? Really?" But this gets us out from under Cole's cap hit, which is just dandy. IMO we got the best season any team's going to get out of him last year. Ryder can give us some scoring punch for the remainder of the season at any rate.

I think Cole will bounce back this year and be good but the reality is that contract was more risk than was worth it. It wasn't albatross level but it was likely going to be an annoyance. This is really the perfect move, we get a reasonable pick, clear some salary this year and a whole lot the next 2 years all without giving up much in the short term. Cole is the better player but it's not by an insane margin and Ryder can score enough that the drop off won't be anything major.

IF anything we need Ryder's kind of PP scoring pretty badly right now. He can just score from anywhere and we lack that. We have guys who will go to the net, Bourque, Gionta, Gallagher, kind of Pacioretty but we only have 1-2 guys who can beat goalies clean from the outside. Ryder can do that.