The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryder traded to Montreal for Cole

roy_133

Cole has 2 years after this year at 4.5 and Ryder is a pending UFA. The last 2 years on Cole were concerning for me so this is nice.

That's my initial gut feeling. As much as it could hurt to lose a scoring power forward, the facts are:

- Ryder has a lower cap hit this season

- Ryder is doing better this season

- we get a draft pick for them taking a bad contract off our hands! (not sure how we pulled that one off, is Gainey back in Dallas :lol: )

- Ryder is a UFA, Cole has 2 more seasons: you can make an argument for either side here, but given Cole's age, I think the 2 extra years is a negative for him.

- Ryder also had 35 goals last season

- Last season was an anomaly for both, both are generally 20-30 goal scorers

Really, the main downside is Cole is more of a power forward and Ryder won't bring the same physical edge, but as Cole passes 35 it's arguably how effective he'll be in that role anyways.

Overall, will miss you Cole, but I approve, and welcome back Ryder!

YES!

Now we just need to bring back the kostitsyns, kovalev, souray, dandenault, and see if Mike Johnson wants to centre the 4th line.

Ugh don't tease me. I miss AK46 :(

Galchenyuk Eller Kostitsyn it would have been like my favorite 3 players playing on the same line

Yeah, at first glance I was like, "God, Ryder?? Really?" But this gets us out from under Cole's cap hit, which is just dandy. IMO we got the best season any team's going to get out of him last year. Ryder can give us some scoring punch for the remainder of the season at any rate.

I kind of thought the same, but Ryder actually had 35 goals last year as well, and in an average season is good for a minimum of around 20. He's not going to make or break a team, but he's a decent 2nd line option and compliments a good playmaker (Gally?) well.

I kind of thought the same, but Ryder actually had 35 goals last year as well, and in an average season is good for a minimum of around 20. He's not going to make or break a team, but he's a decent 2nd line option and compliments a good playmaker (Gally?) well.

Yeah, if he can provide a bit of extra scoring punch and PP production, I'm all for it. He's not as consistently good as Cole but with the cap we save on those two years, it doesn't matter.

I think Cole will bounce back this year and be good but the reality is that contract was more risk than was worth it. It wasn't albatross level but it was likely going to be an annoyance.

Especially with Gionta next season: we could handle one of the two contracts but having two well-paid veterans in decline may have meant a lot of wasted cap space.

IF anything we need Ryder's kind of PP scoring pretty badly right now. He can just score from anywhere and we lack that. We have guys who will go to the net, Bourque, Gionta, Gallagher, kind of Pacioretty but we only have 1-2 guys who can beat goalies clean from the outside. Ryder can do that.

Good point.

I really really really like this trade.

Cole did great for us last season, but all and all, he's no better than Ryder. No better offensive upside (one is a good sniper, the other a decent power forward), both useless defensively. When we signed Cole we needed size up front, not urgent anymore. Cole absence won't hurt our most successful lines this season, and a sniper with Galchenyuk and Eller will further help their development and confidence.

Truth to be told, both Cole and Ryder will only get worst with time, and in Ryder's case, we can dump him if we want, but we can probably sign him to a significant small amount compared to Cole's current contract (new CBA, new cap hit and Ryder already earns less than Erik).

The 3rd pick is a bonus, not huge value but not useless as well.

The way I see it, we traded an aging player (Cole) for another aging guy who should fit better in the short term (his type of game will fit our needs better, specially the PP), has less risk in the log term and still got a 3rd round pick in this years draft.

From our standpoint, this is almost a steal.

Ultimately, it comes down to team need and clearing cap. Cole is a good player, but what he does is something we already have with guys like Pacioretty and Gionta. What Ryder brings is what we don't have: that laser shot that can beat a goalie cleanly on the PP or at even strength. Throw in Ryder's younger age, lower cap hit, and soon-to-be-UFA status, in addition to the pick, and I agree that this is almost a steal for us (though I think Cole is the better player in the long term).

I gotta say I'm impressed and extremely satisfied with MB so far. He has showed both the strength and the intelligence to succeed at this level. The extra pick in this trade is probably his responsibility, and although it is not gonna change the face of the franchise, this is the kind of detail that makes a franchise successful.

Ok, according to TSN sportcentre (Dregger) MB approached Cole and said there was a trade in the works. Cole asked MB some time, he got back to him at around 4pm and agreed to be traded.

There was something going on behind the scenes that we're not aware of. I doubt we ever will know the whole story.

I knew changing my avatar from Cole to Pleky last night was the right move. ;)

I have to say I loved his style of play last season, a solid power forward with 36 goals. He was an element that was missing in Montreal for a very long time and someone that rubbed off on Pacioretty in a very positive way.

Btw, I agree with you on your assessment, there is definitely a lot more to this story than we'll ever know.

Guest habs1952

I think Cole will bounce back this year and be good but the reality is that contract was more risk than was worth it. It wasn't albatross level but it was likely going to be an annoyance. This is really the perfect move, we get a reasonable pick, clear some salary this year and a whole lot the next 2 years all without giving up much in the short term. Cole is the better player but it's not by an insane margin and Ryder can score enough that the drop off won't be anything major.

IF anything we need Ryder's kind of PP scoring pretty badly right now. He can just score from anywhere and we lack that. We have guys who will go to the net, Bourque, Gionta, Gallagher, kind of Pacioretty but we only have 1-2 guys who can beat goalies clean from the outside. Ryder can do that.

We can use him in the shootout.

Guest habs1952

They appear to be overvaluing Ryder, and they evidently know squat about Cole -- making it sound like they're giving up this all-world sniper to get a far lesser talent -- but I do like the post referring to Neuwendyk as "Crack Pipe Joe." :D

'Bend Over Joe' caught my eye. :lol:

I don't think we completely screwed Dallas in this deal, but I very much like the trade at this point. As good as Cole was last year, he wasn't going to repeat. Plus, he already had shown signs of discontent (ie. comments before the season) and to be honest, I would rather have guys that one to play here. On top of that, Ryder provides a low-risk, reasonable reward situation (motivated guy, been scoring well in recent years, no significant contract left).

I liken this a little bit to the Cammy/Bourque trade, but perhaps with slightly more "immediate" impact.

I don't think we completely screwed Dallas in this deal, but I very much like the trade at this point. As good as Cole was last year, he wasn't going to repeat. Plus, he already had shown signs of discontent (ie. comments before the season) and to be honest, I would rather have guys that one to play here. On top of that, Ryder provides a low-risk, reasonable reward situation (motivated guy, been scoring well in recent years, no significant contract left).

I liken this a little bit to the Cammy/Bourque trade, but perhaps with slightly more "immediate" impact.

Also, with Cammy we traded his 30 and 31 seasons away, we're trading Cole's 35 and 36 year old seasons. The was a good chance he wouldn't retain value.

as many of you have mentioned, cap cap cap. beautiful cap move.

i was a huge ryder critic when he was here, and was overjoyed when we let him go, but the facts are:

short term, ryder is a quality sniper that will help on the pp, got just as many goals as cole last year, and is doing wayyy better than cole this year

long term, hes a ufa at the end of the year so we have the option of walking away clean (which is my presumption of what will happen) with 4.5 mil extra to add to the 7 from gomez and 4 from kaberle in space

Ryder comes in tied for the team lead in points, second in goals. And he came with a pick. And not only did we not give up futures, we traded a player who, though great for us last year, was off to a rough start and has two more risky years at age 35 and 36.

I kind of get why Dallas fans are furious.

Having said that, they really know nothing about Cole from their comments. I hope Eric does OK there so that he gets appreciated by that fan base.