The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Ryder traded to Montreal for Cole

roy_133

I see the similarity of this trade to last years Carolina / Montreal ( Spacek for Kaberle ) deal.

Last yr Carolina wanted to unloaded salary and an aging player

and took on Spacek who was going to be an UFA

This yr we're getting rid of Cole and his salary for the next 2 years

and picking up a player who play the remainder of the season and will be an UFA at the end of this yr

We gain cap space and as "weep " mentioned , we probably got the best season any team's going to get out of Cole

I actually still believe Cole is the better player right now. But those two remaining seasons are a hard gamble to take. I don't think he's as bad an investment as Gomez was and maybe he'll garner Dallas a trade-deadline return in two years, but I do believe we won this trade from a cap management situation. The exception would be if we decide to sign Ryder to a cap- or term-unfriendly contract once this deal is done.

I think people also fail to realize that a shooter retains his shot a lot longer than a hard skating power forward retains his legs.

So a 32 year old Ryder has a much better chance at 3-4 more productive seasons than a 34 year old Cole does having even 2 more.

Ryder can likely sign score 20 goals at 35-36, Cole will not.

Smart deal financially and hockey wise

Was sitting at Copps enjoying the Dogs game when somebody broke the news to me. My first reaction was disbelief, but when i was able to confirm it, then my first question was, "how many years is Ryder signed for?". Had somebody look it up for me at the game and when i saw it was only for this season i deemed it a good trade on our part. Now hearing we also got a 3rd rounder,,,,sweet deal for us.

I think Ryder had 3 points in his last game with Dallas. He's been having another decent year from what i've heard.

Welcome home Ryder. ;)

I hope this isn't going offtopic too far, but I figure it's related...

So, we have a ton of cap space and a bunch of draft picks this year. Do we hunt FAs/offer sheet people/go for a big trade or refill the farm system and sign our home-grown talent?

Also, do you think we offer Ryder a new contract if he has a good season here?

Ryder age 32 NHL career totals: GP650 G203 A207 PTS410 +27 PPG80

.63 points per game avg.

last 5 years-to-date: 391 hits; 104 goals; 99 assists; +51; 34 PPG; 23 PPA; 22GWG; 141PIM; 13.16 avg. SH%

Career Playoff Stats: NHL GP70; G20; A23; PTS43; 0+/-; PPG5; GWG4; 24 PIM; 12.42 avg. SH%

.61 points per game avg.

Cole age 34 NHL career totals: GP721 G222 A235 PTS457 +15 PPG54

.63 points per game avg.

last 5 years-to-date: 729 hits; 94 goals; 102 assists; +2; 21PPG; 14PPA; 19GWG; 209 PIM; 11.88 avg. SH%

Career Playoff Stats: NHL GP43; G6; A8; PTS14; -8; PPG1; GWG1; 52PIM; 5.83 avg. SH%

.32 points per game avg.

Clearly it is pretty close overall for these two players other than the hits category where Cole clearly has been a more physical presence. Ryder has more playoff experience and better results. +/- seems to be in Ryder's favor for what it may bew worth.

That said, stats aren't everything... there are a number of things that need to be considered...

Age, contract, the Habs need for a right hand shot and sniper (specifically for the powerplay), season to-date points production. All of which could be a positive going forward. I like this trade :) Ryder has matured and IMO is a more complete player than he was the first time around with the Habs.

I always thought 1 of Carbonneaus biggest downfalls was his mis use of Ryder.Im glad to have him back.Sad to see Cole go.But contract wise it makes sense so overall Im happy with the trade.We get a 3rd round pick as well,Really this is like a tryout for Ryder because if it doesnsnt work out there are so many possibilities now.

So, we have a ton of cap space and a bunch of draft picks this year./quote]

Someone may want to confirm but I don't think they have a " ton of cap space ."

Before the season started there was talk about the cap goign down and Habs having no cap space

Someone may want to confirm but I don't think they have a " ton of cap space ."

Before the season started there was talk about the cap goign down and Habs having no cap space

There's quite a bit with no Gomez, Kaberle and Cole. Most of our core is locked up and we have over 15 million for this summer.

There's quite a bit with no Gomez, Kaberle and Cole. Most of our core is locked up and we have over 15 million for this summer.

Ya, with Gomez gone and assuming we use the 2nd amnesty buyout on Kaberle (seemingly the only way that doesn't happen is if he gets injured) we were already in good shape, now with Cole gone we'll actually have a bit of money to spend if we want to (keeping in mind we will have Gally, Subban, etc to re-sign in future offseasons).

- we get a draft pick for them taking a bad contract off our hands! (not sure how we pulled that one off, is Gainey back in Dallas :lol: )

I meant this as a joke, but from the Darren Dregger video on tsn.ca, apparently Gainey is back in Dallas and had a big role in this deal ... the third round pick makes more sense now (unfortunately, it probably won't turn into Ryan McDonagh).

I meant this as a joke, but from the Darren Dregger video on tsn.ca, apparently Gainey is back in Dallas and had a big role in this deal ... the third round pick makes more sense now (unfortunately, it probably won't turn into Ryan McDonagh).

Probably no McDonagh, but I'd be okay with Adam Henrique or Cal Clutterbuck as well :P

I really like the trade...Congrats to our new GM for pulling this of. Production wise, its a swap (last year) and Ryder has the edge this year. They are both RW, similar numbers as said, but quite a different approach of the game. Cole is a net crasher and Ryder is a sniper. So i think that number wise we might enjoy an improvement from this move, if both players continue at the same pace of the first 20 games.

Value wise if were out of contention at the deadline i would be satisfied to dump Cole for a 2nd round pick. If we were buyers at the deadline i would be happy to claim Ryder as a rental for one of our 2nd round picks. This means that both players actually have the same value.

Contract wise there is no question, that Ryder is cheaper and an UFA to be and Cole is more expensive and has 2 and a half more years left in his contract. This contract status actually reduces Cole's value and actually i think that if there was to be a team adding a 3rd round pick it should be Montreal, not Dallas. I think that a one to one deal would also have been OK, so the extra pick is something we should give Bergevin credit for.

Ryder, gives so much options for us now. Its not only the cap space we managed to claim in the deal, that can be spend to an UFA this summer (everybody would expect Perry, i would rather go for a 4M deal to Clarkson, in order to get tougher), but its the fact that we can always resign Ryder if he plays beyond expectation, or dump him at the deadline for another pick, 2nd round pick probably. If we deside to dump him at the deadline then Cole's departure will actually fetch us a 2nd and a 3rd round pick (very good value). If we deside to resign him i think that it will be for a price lower than the 4,5M spend in Cole not to mention that Ryder is a couple of years younger, so his game will decline obviously later than Cole's.

Resuming its an excellent trade for Bergevin, lets hope his hockey eye (he thinks that Ryder will improve our powerplay) proves him right, but non less this is a trade that makes our team better both at precent and future. Can we all wish he pulls a same Kaberle deal, in the near future? We have a lot of money sitting on the bench.

Actually greco hab, Cole is and has usually been a LW, but switched to the right when they put together the Patches-DD-Cole line.

Ryder is cheaper now, but I doubt very strongly he'll leave a tax friendly state (with lower cost of living) and not ask for more so it balances out. To resign Ryder it'll probably be right around what Cole and Gio are aerning with their present contracts.

It does give us the option to use him as a rental and try land a player during the offseason.

Actually greco hab, Cole is and has usually been a LW, but switched to the right when they put together the Patches-DD-Cole line.

Ryder is cheaper now, but I doubt very strongly he'll leave a tax friendly state (with lower cost of living) and not ask for more so it balances out. To resign Ryder it'll probably be right around what Cole and Gio are aerning with their present contracts.

It does give us the option to use him as a rental and try land a player during the offseason.

I thought Cole was used as a RW in Carolina?

I like this deal, and believe Ryder will get a longer-term contract. I think he also has at least a couple of good years left in him.

The problem is that this is what a number of people said about Cole coming off his stellar season last year. But he gets off to a bad start and suddenly, everyone is concerned about paying out the last two years of his deal. Ryder is already 32. To sign him to a long-term deal means we're eating up seasons when he's in the 33-36 year-old range or longer. Grant it, his style of game may endure a bit more than Cole's, but Gomez's took a downturn pretty quickly, as did Kaberle's and Gionta's and Markov's (albeit with injury). I'd be very hesitant to give out a long-term deal to Ryder or we've essentially gained very little in the Cole trade in the way of savings. I'd consider re-signing him for 1 or 2 years more after the current one. Otherwise, I think we're better off letting him walk and either exploring the UFA market or giving someone like Kristo or LL a shot on the third line.

Ya, with Gomez gone and assuming we use the 2nd amnesty buyout on Kaberle (seemingly the only way that doesn't happen is if he gets injured) we were already in good shape, now with Cole gone we'll actually have a bit of money to spend if we want to (keeping in mind we will have Gally, Subban, etc to re-sign in future offseasons).

Yep, but we also have Markov and Gionta expiring after next season. We're in pretty reasonable shape here to try and make a splash is the right player is available.

Guest habs1952

The problem is that this is what a number of people said about Cole coming off his stellar season last year. But he gets off to a bad start and suddenly, everyone is concerned about paying out the last two years of his deal. Ryder is already 32. To sign him to a long-term deal means we're eating up seasons when he's in the 33-36 year-old range or longer. Grant it, his style of game may endure a bit more than Cole's, but Gomez's took a downturn pretty quickly, as did Kaberle's and Gionta's and Markov's (albeit with injury). I'd be very hesitant to give out a long-term deal to Ryder or we've essentially gained very little in the Cole trade in the way of savings. I'd consider re-signing him for 1 or 2 years more after the current one. Otherwise, I think we're better off letting him walk and either exploring the UFA market or giving someone like Kristo or LL a shot on the third line.

With the skill of the young players coming into the league it's gonna take a special veteran player to get a long term deal.

The problem is that this is what a number of people said about Cole coming off his stellar season last year. But he gets off to a bad start and suddenly, everyone is concerned about paying out the last two years of his deal.

No, I was concerned about those last two years when he inked the deal, they were risky years to take on, just like Gionta's last two years. Depending on how Ryder produces, our needs, and his salary demands, I have no problem with a one or two-year deal, but anything above two years and I walk away from the table.

No, I was concerned about those last two years when he inked the deal, they were risky years to take on, just like Gionta's last two years. Depending on how Ryder produces, our needs, and his salary demands, I have no problem with a one or two-year deal, but anything above two years and I walk away from the table.

I think most people were concerned with those 2 years. We always knew the meat of the value were years 1 and 2 and in fact, I think you and I discussed the possibility of trading Cole now before it was too late and he was just viewed as a contract. I still think he'll have value this year, next year and beyond are much less clear. Keep in mind that he provides basically no defensive value either so...

It was the cost of getting a UFA here, you either overpay in dollars or term, we overpaid in term, we got likely the best year anyone is going to get from him and we cleared him before the contract became a problem.

we got likely the best year anyone is going to get from him and we cleared him before the contract became a problem.

Yes, this was my feeling when news of the Ryder-Cole trade broke. No one will get a better season out of Cole than we got from him last year, MMW, and we were able to flip him for good return before his contract became a problem and lowered his trade value. Let Dallas pay for his declining years -- we got his 35-goal season on effectively a one-year contract.