The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michael Ryder

BigTed3

Ryder just signed a two year deal for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013. So, I feel like there's the potential to sign him to a two year deal this summer. However, after the successes he has had last year and this year I think you would have to improve on the $3.5 million cap hit.

Ryder was coming off two straight 18-goal seasons, playing on mainly the 2nd and 3rd lines in Boston. He wasn't offered a contract by his team. Since then, he's put a 35-goal season and is on track for another 30+ goals over 82 games this year. He's also 33 years old now. Last time around, he would have figured he could still improve on his recent results and sign another deal before he hit the end of his career. At this point, Ryder's probably got to be looking for his "last big contract." If he takes 2 years again now, chances are that if he wants to sign another deal when he's 35, he won't get the same term or money. This is really his last chance to cash in on a longer-term deal (4 or 5 years) and still get paid for it. Maybe I'm wrong in terms of figuring out his intentions, but a lot of guys hitting his age will go where they get the extra year on the offer (like Roman Hamrlik did in bolting bor Washington).

Ryder was coming off two straight 18-goal seasons, playing on mainly the 2nd and 3rd lines in Boston. He wasn't offered a contract by his team. Since then, he's put a 35-goal season and is on track for another 30+ goals over 82 games this year. He's also 33 years old now. Last time around, he would have figured he could still improve on his recent results and sign another deal before he hit the end of his career. At this point, Ryder's probably got to be looking for his "last big contract." If he takes 2 years again now, chances are that if he wants to sign another deal when he's 35, he won't get the same term or money. This is really his last chance to cash in on a longer-term deal (4 or 5 years) and still get paid for it. Maybe I'm wrong in terms of figuring out his intentions, but a lot of guys hitting his age will go where they get the extra year on the offer (like Roman Hamrlik did in bolting bor Washington).

I have a feeling though his reputation in this league isn't that strong. I mean we got him, after his solid last season and a decent start this year, for a bad contract and got a 3rd rounder back with him.

There may be a GM out there willing to give him a 5 year deal that takes him until he's 38, but I doubt it. 2 years at 4.5 may be about all he can get.

I have a feeling though his reputation in this league isn't that strong. I mean we got him, after his solid last season and a decent start this year, for a bad contract and got a 3rd rounder back with him.

There may be a GM out there willing to give him a 5 year deal that takes him until he's 38, but I doubt it. 2 years at 4.5 may be about all he can get.

The free agent crop in terms of scoring wingers this off-season is drying up pretty fast though. With the salary cap, teams are doing their best to hold onto their own potential free agents, and there may not be a guy who hits the market who's scored as many goals as Ryder in the past two seasons.

It's a valdi point that we got Ryder on a good-value trade, but I think that's the case of one inexperienced GM over-valuing Cole rather than under-valuing Ryder. To get Ryder re-signed to a two-year deal would require 28 other GM's to not offer him 3- or 4- year deals, not just one guy.

But how much are you expecting he can get over a four or five year term?

I imagine he could make more if he takes a more for less (cash over term) approach now and takes another deal two years in the future. There's certainly less guaranteed money in taking a short term contract now, but the payout COULD be higher if he performs well over the next two seasons.

Your probably right. He'll be looking for term, but it'd be interesting to see what's offered with many G.M.s trying to be a little more cap savvy with the cap going down.

The free agent crop in terms of scoring wingers this off-season is drying up pretty fast though. With the salary cap, teams are doing their best to hold onto their own potential free agents, and there may not be a guy who hits the market who's scored as many goals as Ryder in the past two seasons.

It's a valdi point that we got Ryder on a good-value trade, but I think that's the case of one inexperienced GM over-valuing Cole rather than under-valuing Ryder. To get Ryder re-signed to a two-year deal would require 28 other GM's to not offer him 3- or 4- year deals, not just one guy.

That's true, we don't know how Dallas valued Cole. If it was the case that other GMs would have given up a first round pick and prospect for Ryder + pick, but Dallas just preferred Cole, I guess my argument goes out the window. Still I'm assuming Joe isn't a complete idiot.

That's true, we don't know how Dallas valued Cole. If it was the case that other GMs would have given up a first round pick and prospect for Ryder + pick, but Dallas just preferred Cole, I guess my argument goes out the window. Still I'm assuming Joe isn't a complete idiot.

Big part of it was a perceived lack of grit in Dallas (sound familiar?), and a whole bunch of Dallas forwards (Ryder, Roy, Jagr) being UFA at the end of the year and while we saw the 2 years of Cole's contract as a bad thing, it was actually somewhat valuable to Dallas for some roster continuity. There's also that if you look at Cole's numbers at the time of the trade you could reasonably assume he was just having a little cold streak, and if both players performed like they did last year it would be pretty similar production. Dallas took a gamble that they could get Ryder's production back from Cole and add Cole's physical element to their top 6, as well as have a top 6 forward spot filled instead of bidding in free agency for one of the mediocre forwards available.