The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michael Ryder

BigTed3

Can Therrien ban The Move just as he banned the triple low five?

That said, welcome back, Ryds. Do some damage out there.

Lol, I was kind of secretly hoping he'd pull out the move, at least once for old time's sake. On the bright side we did get to see it, in possibly the only time it was ever succesful, when they replayed his hatty from his last game as a Hab :P

Ryder had 28 goals on even strength last year. That's 4th in the league behind Stamkos, Malkin and our very own Pacioretty.

Saw that, odd seeing as he was the opposite here scoring massive amounts of PP goals. We need him to boost the PP though mainly.

Ryder is a special kind of player. Fairly consistent, but isn't the type of player you want on the ice in the final minutes of a tight game. One of his last 30 goal seasons with the habs, only 2 out of the 30 goals were GWG. He's not a clutch performer, but more likely to score insurance goals than GWG.

Still nice to have another sniper in the lineup.

Intereted to see how does tonight, has had time to practice with the team and his new line. I'm hoping he can pick up where he left off in Dallas.

He hasn't really looked comfortable in either game to me. Like he's guessing about what to do. Sometimes he made odd decisions too. IIRC, at one point we could have had a 3 on 2, but he went to the bench at the blue line and held up his teammate too.

I'm not overly worried, we know what he is and that's a shot. So far hasn't looked good at all but he usually doesn't look good when he's doing anything other than releasing the puck.

We have to keep in mind that since Tuesday he spent most of his week on airplanes and in airports. Columbus-Toronto with a layover in Washington (!), plays the game Wednesday night, flies to Dallas and returns Thursday to go home and pickup some some of his stuff, practice Friday am and a bit of rest Friday evening and Saturday morning. This could shut down anyone.

I'm not worried, I'm sure he'll get in sync with the team quickly enough this week.

We have to keep in mind that since Tuesday he spent most of his week on airplanes and in airports. Columbus-Toronto with a layover in Washington (!), plays the game Wednesday night, flies to Dallas and returns Thursday to go home and pickup some some of his stuff, practice Friday am and a bit of rest Friday evening and Saturday morning. This could shut down anyone.

I'm not worried, I'm sure he'll get in sync with the team quickly enough this week.

Yes, I agree and hope fans don't get down on him without giving him a chance to adjust and find a home on a given line with some permanence.

That's probably why he didn't take that optional skate, and I remember a few people thinking why.

I'm going to be looking for Ryder to make more of an impact coming up in the next few games. I wasn't really expecting him to step into the lineup and make a difference right away. Lots of travel, learning what Therrien wants him to do on the ice, readjusting to life with the Montreal Canadiens. Hopefully he scores a couple on the current road trip. Probably needs a few more practices.

Basically, he's a good shot. Nothing more, nothing less. Give him PP time, set him up for one-timers, and don't expect him to dazzle you when he's not being a triggerman. He is what he is, we knew his game when he was a Hab the first time and it hasn't changed since then.

Basically... I think you never liked him and still don't. He is a hockey player with very reasonable stats and a successful career. I say he has more value than you give him credit for.

Basically... I think you never liked him and still don't. He is a hockey player with very reasonable stats and a successful career. I say he has more value than you give him credit for.

Why are you getting personal? I'm just giving my assessment of Ryder as a player. His stats and his career are both founded on his strength, which is his shot. It's his bread and butter and there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of value in triggermen, which is why I was happy with the trade that brought him here. I was just trying to keep people from jumping all over him and bashing him. At this point in his career, he is what he is. Let's not cut him down because he's not making guys miss in open ice and imposing his will at the net. That's not his game. He provides value through his shot, and on the PP specifically. He's not where he needs to be yet but I'm confident he'll get there. He assisted on Plekanec's goal last night and he's a veteran player. He'll come around.

Basically, he's a good shot. Nothing more, nothing less. Give him PP time, set him up for one-timers, and don't expect him to dazzle you when he's not being a triggerman. He is what he is, we knew his game when he was a Hab the first time and it hasn't changed since then.

I would agree that his bread and butter is his release. He's never going to amazing you with stickhandling or shock you with some miraculous defensively play. That said, in the couple of games he's played since coming back, I am (pleasantly) surprised at his play without the puck. You're never going to mistake him for Plekanec or Eller, but he's definitely improved in that area since he last wore bleu blanc & rouge. He seems to be a slightly better allround player than he was when we let him go & thats a nice surprise. I still would say its unlikely we try to resign him in the summer (the move was 99% to get out from under the last 2 years of Cole's contract imho) but time will tell.

I dont read what Weep said as being a like or dislike of the player. He was being honest - Ryder is mostly 1 dimensional but so is DD and even Markov these days. Thats not necessarily a bad thing - providing you are paid accordingly (not bogging down the cap space with 1 dimensional players) and the coach plays you with other players who compliment your style and (perhaps) make up for your shortcomings.

If you read the Cole for Ryder thread, Weep was actually in support of the deal.

Why are you getting personal? I'm just giving my assessment of Ryder as a player. His stats and his career are both founded on his strength, which is his shot. It's his bread and butter and there's nothing wrong with that. Plenty of value in triggermen, which is why I was happy with the trade that brought him here. I was just trying to keep people from jumping all over him and bashing him. At this point in his career, he is what he is. Let's not cut him down because he's not making guys miss in open ice and imposing his will at the net. That's not his game. He provides value through his shot, and on the PP specifically. He's not where he needs to be yet but I'm confident he'll get there. He assisted on Plekanec's goal last night and he's a veteran player. He'll come around.

Well that's a bit more refreshing... I have a hard time reading that this or that player is just one thing nothing more or nothing less... in this case "a shot". I seem to remember the distant past in discussions (maybe I have the wrong poster... apologize if that is the case)

I would agree that his bread and butter is his release. He's never going to amazing you with stickhandling or shock you with some miraculous defensively play. That said, in the couple of games he's played since coming back, I am (pleasantly) surprised at his play without the puck. You're never going to mistake him for Plekanec or Eller, but he's definitely improved in that area since he last wore bleu blanc & rouge. He seems to be a slightly better allround player than he was when we let him go & thats a nice surprise. I still would say its unlikely we try to resign him in the summer (the move was 99% to get out from under the last 2 years of Cole's contract imho) but time will tell.

I dont read what Weep said as being a like or dislike of the player. He was being honest - Ryder is mostly 1 dimensional but so is DD and even Markov these days. Thats not necessarily a bad thing - providing you are paid accordingly (not bogging down the cap space with 1 dimensional players) and the coach plays you with other players who compliment your style and (perhaps) make up for your shortcomings.

If you read the Cole for Ryder thread, Weep was actually in support of the deal.

Also do not like the one-dimensional moniker (cliche) and do not agree that he or even Desharnais are these types. Bread and butter quality is okay though. Good to see you acknowledge he has become more of an all-around better player (which would not denote one-dimensional BTW) even if you feel only slightly.

Ryder can read plays, can make a good pass to set up others (he already has IMO) and hit when the time is right. His stats prove all of that. Why generalize what could be considered a negative for a "hockey player".

Sure... there may be others that do things better... but there are also those who can't claim the same success overall that he has had with his career. Overall does not mean one-dimensional or basically just "a shot".

Ryder can read plays, can make a good pass to set up others (he already has IMO) and hit when the time is right. His stats prove all of that. Why generalize what could be considered a negative for a "hockey player".

Sure... there may be others that do things better... but there are also those who can't claim the same success overall that he has had with his career. Overall does not mean one-dimensional or basically just "a shot".

I think its a problem that some people miss when some of us talk about a player. We can say he's "not great defensively" but remember thats a relative statement. Its not 'in a vacuum' its based on how the team is choosing to play him, his line-mates & assignments. Ryder is not "great defensively" in the sense that you aren't throwing him out on your first unit PK and you aren't playing him on a defensive zone face off with under a minute left and a 1 goal lead. Thats no slight on him, of the 12 forwards, there are probably only a handful who you would use consistently in this role.

The truth is, we have very few "complete" players on this team (there are very few of them in the league). Just as DD and Ryder are offense-first, guys like Moen, Armstrong & White are defense first. Our only "true" all-round forward is Plekanec although guys like Galchenyuk & Eller still have the potential to be also.

Again, I dont believe anyone is trying to lessen Ryder's abilities or value. As many of us have already said, the deal may have been in principle to get out from under Cole's contract, but there's no reason, if he fits in well here, why we wouldnt try resigning Ryder in the offseason.

One problem I have with Ryder is that I'm not sure he has the footspeed to keep up with the rest of the team. Cammalleri had a great shot like Ryder, but he could also wheel down the ice when needed to. In Ryder's case, I'm not sure I see a lot value in his playing with Plekanec and Galchenyuk or Deharnais and Pacioretty. Those players turn defensive situations into offensive ones rather quickly, and with one of our biggest assets being team speed, it's nice to have full lines that can turn 2-on-2's into 3-on-2's and give us odd-man rushes. Yes, Ryder will likely bring something to the PP and yes, he provides a bit more net presence than a guy like Cammalleri, but all in all, I'm just not sure he's a good fit for the system we play and the complement of players already in our top 9.