The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michael Ryder

BigTed3

Eeesh, HHN, that may be a bit too light for my taste. :D

Thought so...

Being that Ryder is from Newfoundland... I've often wondered if it has had something to do with the impression some have had of him (even one coach IMO... Carbonneau) in the past and even now. I know it shouldn't... and doesn't for me... but, just saying...

Hey! What's wrong with Newfoundland, b'y!? :lol:

Im pretty pleased with Newfoundlanders in the NHL. Sure we dont have many, but most of the players we do have in the NHL are pretty solid. Guys like Ryder, Clowe, Purcell, Greening, Cleary, etc have been go for the teams they've played for. Luke Adam is a solid prospect too.

Happy Ryder finally got the monkey off his back and scored. Was starting to wonder if we (in the short term) got the worst of that deal.

Took one fluky goal to get patches going. Maybe Ryder can start putting them in the net.

Gallagher has really impressed me this season. The kid has a great work ethic. So, with 2 capable quarter backs in Subban and marky, we're set on the blueline. We needed some snipers down low to cash in on those rebounds. Gallagher and Ryder should help us get those rebounds.

Our Pp should be better than it is. It's become predictable though... win faceoff, get the puck to subban and have him fire on net. PK unite know this now and they're ready for his big shot. Defnitely use him, be a shame to have his shot at the point and not use it. I'd like to see MT shake it up a bit, Marky has a good shot as well, if they're covering PK, let Marky take a few shots and have our forwards parked in front of the net looking for juicey rebounds.

Yes it's way to early. I want to see what type of playoff performer he will be for us first.

FWIW,,,,i know 2 years has gone by since he won the cup with the ruins,,,,(Dallas didn't make the POs), but in his final year there, he had 8G, 9A, 17 PTs. in 25 PO games. So, we'll see.

Yes it's way to early. I want to see what type of playoff performer he will be for us first.

Of course, but its interesting to at least start contemplating it. In some ways - especially with the maturation/development of guys like Patches, Bourque, Gallagher & even Eller & Galchenyuk (one of whom may end up as a top 6 winger - Ryder fits this teams' needs more than Cole could, contract aside.

It will be interesting to see how the rest of this year plays out but I wouldnt be particularly surprised to see him still on the roster, come October.

Guest habs1952

So.....I know its waaaaay early but after his initial success (9pts in 7 games + the good clip he was scoring at in Dallas) do you offer him a contract this summer?

I think we wait and see what happens during free agency first. I don't think it would be a great loss if we didn't re-sign him.

This. He's a nice piece to have this season, but not someone we'll be in a rush to re-sign unless other options fall through.

That's what's really nice about giving that week before July 1st to talk to free agents (that does start this year, right?). Should give us the ability to kick the tires on a few guys so we know where we stand come July 1.

MT said it's not major and they just left him cause there were too many question marks and stuff, so hopefully that means that he's back soon.

Well if nothing else it's nice to be in a position where our top priority is making sure our guys are ready for the playoffs rather than bringing them back early because we desperately need to win the next game.

Looking at the list of UFA's this summer... I wouldn't be against signing Ryder to a one or two-year deal for a reasonable cap hit.

One of the factors that will help to decide that is whether we can sign Danny Kristo and whether he is NHL-ready. Many scouts seem to suggest he can make the jump directly to the NHL, so we'll see. I can live with Ryder on a short-term deal, but on a longer term, I believe we're better off exploring other options. I wouldn't want to get caught in a deal where we're still paying him at the age of 35 or 36.

One of the factors that will help to decide that is whether we can sign Danny Kristo and whether he is NHL-ready. Many scouts seem to suggest he can make the jump directly to the NHL, so we'll see. I can live with Ryder on a short-term deal, but on a longer term, I believe we're better off exploring other options. I wouldn't want to get caught in a deal where we're still paying him at the age of 35 or 36.

Yeah, one or two years is fine by me, but not any longer than that seeing how we've got some really important pieces to sign further down the road.

Yeah, one or two years is fine by me, but not any longer than that seeing how we've got some really important pieces to sign further down the road.

Yup. The problem is that if the UFA crop (which is being cut down rather quickly by teams signing their own guys) is not that great, other teams may bid on Ryder and frankly, he may not be interested in signing a 1- or 2-year deal when he can get 4 somewhere else. I wouldn't sign him to a 4-year deal and I'm not prepared to bid on him if that's what market value dictates he can get.

Yup. The problem is that if the UFA crop (which is being cut down rather quickly by teams signing their own guys) is not that great, other teams may bid on Ryder and frankly, he may not be interested in signing a 1- or 2-year deal when he can get 4 somewhere else. I wouldn't sign him to a 4-year deal and I'm not prepared to bid on him if that's what market value dictates he can get.

Interesting to see if Bergevin, if he wants to keep Ryder, will be proactive and try to get him signed before he goes UFA.

Ryder isn't going to sign a one or two year deal after being forced to sign nothing but one year deals with Gainey for the first half of his career.

I'm not a Gainey apologist but that was one of the few contract scenarios he handled perfectly well, controlled Ryder cheaply while he had the leverage without over-committing and let him go when the price became more than he was worth.