The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Michael Ryder

BigTed3

Why not just sign small 1-2 year extensions until we don't need him? They would be movable contracts, and wouldn't lock us into an Eric Cole deal. Unless I'm missing something.

He might opt to look for a longer term deal elsewhere. He's a UFA,, so he's in control and likely looking for security.

been a pleasant fit

As I've said, I'd be willing to sign Ryder to 1 or 2 years but not longer. I suspect he'll want to take a long-term deal elsewhere and that's fine. We have Gallagher hopefully set at RW for a few years and we have Kristo and Collberg possibly ready to play in the NHL at RW sooner than later. We have Bourque, Pacioretty, and one of Galchenyuk or Eller able to play LW, and if it gets crowded on the left, we have the flexibility of moving Bourque to the right side. We also have Gionta locked up for next year, and who may be more willing to re-sign on short deals if we decide to keep him. Ryder is an asset in the short-term, but he can easily become contractual dead weight if we opt to sign him to too long a deal. There are still some other RW's who may hit the open market too... Boston likely won't be able to afford keepign Nathan Horton unless they unload someone else first. David Clarkson will be a UFA, as will Damien Brunner in Detroit (although the Wings tend to retain a lot of the free agents they choose to offer contracts to). Pierre-Marc Bouchard can play right wing, and as noted, with Bourque able to shift over, you could also go after a LW like Penner or Clowe. Not saying that any of those are necessarily better options, but we might be able to find a guy who's a bit younger or who is willing to take a shorter contract, one that fits our plan as an organization a bit better. Ryder remains an option, but keeping him will depend on his demands.

Guest Regis2

2013 E Cole

Habs 3 G 3 A = 6 Pts + 1

Dallas 4 G 0 A = 4 pts - 9

2013 Ryder

Dallas 6 G 8 A = 14 pts + 4

Habs 7 G 7 A = 14 pts - 1

Smart move by MB , dumping Cole's salary .

Last year was probably the best yr the Habs would have got out of him

2 goals tonight....3rd period coming up....can he? :rolleyes:

nice game last night Michael ....was rooting for you for the hat-trick

close

It depends on the term for me.

yes

It's undeniable. The guy has an excellent ability to... (to quote Andrei Kostitsyn) "Put puck in net!" I'm not sure I'd consider extending him beyond a year or two, so it's going to depend on what Ryder wants. The fact that he's such an average skater, stick-handler, defender, etc. turns me away from wanting to sign him for three or four seasons.

I'd give him two or three years. This is a player who's been a consistent goal scorer throughout his career and that's something the team definitely needs. There's no way a UFA is going to sign a one year deal unless it has a massive value.

2013 E Cole

Habs 3 G 3 A = 6 Pts + 1

Dallas 4 G 0 A = 4 pts - 9

2013 Ryder

Dallas 6 G 8 A = 14 pts + 4

Habs 7 G 7 A = 14 pts - 1

Smart move by MB , dumping Cole's salary .

Last year was probably the best yr the Habs would have got out of him

Couldn't have said it better. Ryder's -1 kind of sucks but we didn't sign him for his defensive prowess.

The ryder move is probably one of the best trades of this shortened season... Well, depending on who you ask. habs fans, it's a great trade, star fans would probably disagree.

I don't like that it left us on the small side, specially when there are so many big teams in our conference and division.

Having prust back has really helped. He and Halpern have helped to give us a pretty good PK. Which leaves Ryder free to score on the PP.

Not sure I want him around next season though. He's a one dimensional player, he's not physical, not defensive, he's strictly a goal scorer. My issue with Ryder isn't his skill, the guy has had a fairly consistent career goal wise. But i have to wonder when he's been released from every team he's ever played for. Some could say it's cap related or the team going in a different dirrection. Despite being a fairly consistent scorer, he left Montreal on bad terms, left boston after winning the cup and the team that picked him up (stars), traded him. First time he's been traded, but has trouble finding one team to settle down with.

I'm thankful for what he's done for us this season... 17 points in 17 games since joining the habs. Those are great numbers, I'm always concerned when certain players always seem to have troubles remaining with one team.

To me it's really dependent on what he wants. Ryder has a skillset I'd argue we need more than size and defensive forwards, he's really our only legit finisher right now and we have had a serious lack of that kind of skill since Cammalleri and Kostitsyn got traded. There needs to be a mix and we will need a sniper next year, and there's nobody in the system that can replace Ryder in that role as of now (unless Kristo comes up and is really impressive or Galchenyuk has a breakout year). Without Ryder we don't have a big threat up front for a shot, Pacioretty can shoot but nobody can replace that sniping ability Ryder has. However, he's not good enough to throw more than 3 years at him. I'd argue that if Bourque can come back like he did at the start of the year, Cole's physicality has been replaced and I don't think we're lacking two way forwards. On a line with Plekanec and Gionta Ryder's defensive skills are nearly irrelevant IMO.