The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013 Trade Deadline - April 3rd

Another interesting player, but he'd have to wave his NTC, would be the Flyers Briere.

He's had amazing post season numbers, but he doesn't want to leave Philly

and to add,back when....he had an opportunity to come here & flat out ran to the hills ( philadephia)..... :P wanted no part of playing here & did not hide the fact,if I remember correctly.

Just saying lol

At a cap hit of 7.1 mil? No thanks.

It's big but it's a short term contract (one more season). We would have the room next year with Kab's off the books. Factor in not resigning Ryder and it looks like a pretty good upgrade.

Guest habs1952

Another interesting player, but he'd have to wave his NTC, would be the Flyers Briere.

He's had amazing post season numbers, but he doesn't want to leave Philly and we'd be stuck with him for another year. As a playoff performer, briere is a good choice.

At age 34, Briere's going to bring a cap hit of 6.5 mil for the next 2 seasons. I wouldn't even think of trying to bring him to the Habs.

and to add,back when....he had an opportunity to come here & flat out ran to the hills ( philadephia)..... :P wanted no part of playing here & did not hide the fact,if I remember correctly.

Just saying lol

Pretty sure I remember that too. He was a free agent when he signed in Philly IIRC and I think we gave him a respectable offer, and he said something to the tune of "You can't pay me enough to play in Montreal". Waiving his NMC would be a long shot, unless he was chasing a Cup. I think if that were the case he would go to Boston or even Pittsburgh first though.

Pretty sure I remember that too. He was a free agent when he signed in Philly IIRC and I think we gave him a respectable offer, and he said something to the tune of "You can't pay me enough to play in Montreal". Waiving his NMC would be a long shot, unless he was chasing a Cup. I think if that were the case he would go to Boston or even Pittsburgh first though.

I don't recall him saying anything like that at all PP (but i could be wrong). My recollection is that he believed Philly was closer to a Cup and they had offered the same money with longer term. The tax situation and the added pressure of playing in Montreal, as a French Canadian player, probably also factored into it.

coreyperry_4121-430x298.jpg

Corey Perry is following Ryan Getzlaf's lead yet again, sticking with the Anaheim Ducks for the long term. Perry agreed to terms on an eight-year, US$69 million contract extension with the Ducks on Monday night, keeping the former NHL MVP with the club through the 2020-21 NHL season.

Full Story.

Not unexpected, really. Looks like the Perry to everywhere rumors can officially stop now.

Yup. I would have been more shocked to see him hit the market. You just don't let those type of guys walk if your serious about being a contender in this league.

On to the next big name for Leaf fans.

Guest habs1952

Both Getzlaf and Perry will be 36 years old when their deals expire and it's doubtful they will be the same players at that age. Both have No Movement clauses in their new contracts. Both salaries combined will eat up 26.2% of a 64.3 mil cap. Am I wrong to think these deals are absolutely ridiculous?

Jarome Iginla....will be moved,and he will determine where he ends uo...mmw

Both Getzlaf and Perry will be 36 years old when their deals expire and it's doubtful they will be the same players at that age. Both have No Movement clauses in their new contracts. Both salaries combined will eat up 26.2% of a 64.3 mil cap. Am I wrong to think these deals are absolutely ridiculous?

No,,,you're not wrong. What I think it means is that the Ducks will have to shed some salary.

Jarome Iginla....will be moved,and he will determine where he ends uo...mmw

I think he might take a pay-cut to go to a contender.

No,,,you're not wrong. What I think it means is that the Ducks will have to shed some salary.

I think he might take a pay-cut to go to a contender.

Their situation is not much different then Pittsburg with Crosby and Malkin. From what i can see they have lots of room remaining and you have to figure Salanne can't last forever and Saku is right behind him. They may be a top end Cap team going forward but they can make it work if they get favourable results and don't nose dive in the standings down the road.

TSN....

With defenceman Marc Methot limping off in the second period of last night's victory over the New York Islanders, the top priority for Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray may now be finding a top-four defenceman.

The Ottawa Citizen's Ken Warren reported that with key players like Erik Karlsson and Jared Cowen already gone for the year, Methot's injury may put an enormous strain on the existing members of the blue line if he is out for any lengthy period of time.

Possible trading partner for Kab's???

Guest habs1952

TSN....

With defenceman Marc Methot limping off in the second period of last night's victory over the New York Islanders, the top priority for Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray may now be finding a top-four defenceman.

The Ottawa Citizen's Ken Warren reported that with key players like Erik Karlsson and Jared Cowen already gone for the year, Methot's injury may put an enormous strain on the existing members of the blue line if he is out for any lengthy period of time.

Possible trading partner for Kab's???

I hope so.

Guest habs1952

Now Komy has been waived,, so they could opt for him at about the same money and term and for free.

Ottawa is looking for a top four D-man, not bottom 16. :lol::lol:

Next step,,,,,,buyout,,,,or will he actually help the Marlies? :P

He can't be bought out until the summer so it's Marlies or the press box. I imagine if he turns down the Marlies, then they'll send him home so as not to injure himself.

Why couldn't the loafs do the same as we did with Gomez?

They could have when it was offered. That window has closed for this season. They have to wait until the summer now.