The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2013 Trade Deadline - April 3rd

I'd love to take a shot at acquiring Jagr, but obviously not if the asking price is too high.

We've already undressed Nieuwendyk once this year on the Cole/Ryder trade, I don't think he'd let us get away with it twice, unfortunately. :lol:

We've already undressed Nieuwendyk once this year on the Cole/Ryder trade, I don't think he'd let us get away with it twice, unfortunately. :lol:

Then again, he hired Bob Gainey as an advisor.

All that means is we'll somehow get a random pick thrown our way in the deal :lol:

Yeah, with Gainey as the advisor, I think we've got a good shot! :D

Lots of rumors out there of Philly now being the leading candidate for Clowe, with Renaud Lavoie saying Habs and Bruins have both fallen back on the list.

Ladislav Smid re-signed by Edm, so off the market.

Re: Clowe, TFP and earlier TSN were saying SJ was expecting a 1st round pick + a prospect for Clowe and that if that was the case MTL could be out as MB wasn't wiling to move his first round pick for a rental.

I saw Engels bring up Giordano for MTL, that'd be a great outside the box acquisition. Not sure what they'd be looking to get back though.

Re: Clowe, TFP and earlier TSN were saying SJ was expecting a 1st round pick + a prospect for Clowe and that if that was the case MTL could be out as MB wasn't wiling to move his first round pick for a rental.

I saw Engels bring up Giordano for MTL, that'd be a great outside the box acquisition. Not sure what they'd be looking to get back though.

I've seen 1st + a prospect, I've seen 2nd + a "good" prospect for Clowe... not worth giving up a 1st to me. We have a 2nd to spare if we really wanted to make a deal, but to give up a Beaulieu or Tinordi in the deal would be just as bad as giving up a 1st, and 2 of our 3 2nd's may end up being equivalent to 1st round picks in other years, given the deep draft. I'd do a 2nd + Ellis or Bournival, for example. That'd be the maximum I'd give up in terms of prospects.

I also saw the discussion re: Giordano. Again, here's a guy who's on a multi-year contract for 4M a season and who's a left-handed shot. He's the type of guy you'd consider as a one and done rental, but I don't know that he solves our problems for a right-handed shutdown guy nor for a guy who can be adept on the 2nd wave of the PP. I'd pass. Would rather give up less and try to go after a guy like Regehr, who's a free agent or a guy like Yandle, who's really an upgrade.

Yandle would be an interesting pick up no doubt. Also hear the asking price is a 1st and a young quality roster player or prospect. He's signed beyond this season so i'd be kicking the tires.

I'd love to take a shot at acquiring Jagr, but obviously not if the asking price is too high.

Agreed. Id take a risk on a guy like Jagr - maybe even dipping into our draft pick pool (one 2nd?) if necessary. I wouldnt bother giving up solid picks for many players but with the way this team is playing now....adding Jagr to Plekanecs' line could be something pretty special. Also frees up GIO to join Eller & Galchenyuk, for example. A nice trickle-down effect.

Id frankly be most interested in a "hockey deal" we've heard rumoured: Yandle. Signed what, 4 more years, good cap hit - and would easily be one of our top 4 dmen. Obviously the cost would be the determining factor, they arent giving him away, but this wouldnt be a deadline deal either - it would be a long-term move that could be very beneficial for this team in the long term. Id do my best to try to get him without giving up a 1st, but he's young, cheap and talented....I might even consider losing what will most likely be a 27-29th pick overall.

Id frankly be most interested in a "hockey deal" we've heard rumoured: Yandle. Signed what, 4 more years, good cap hit - and would easily be one of our top 4 dmen. Obviously the cost would be the determining factor, they arent giving him away, but this wouldnt be a deadline deal either - it would be a long-term move that could be very beneficial for this team in the long term. Id do my best to try to get him without giving up a 1st, but he's young, cheap and talented....I might even consider losing what will most likely be a 27-29th pick overall.

To get Yandle, it's going to take a 1st rounder and then some. But I believe he's one guy available who's worth paying the price. He's a young, all-star caliber D man on a reasonable contract. That's a rare thing to find.

To get Yandle, it's going to take a 1st rounder and then some. But I believe he's one guy available who's worth paying the price. He's a young, all-star caliber D man on a reasonable contract. That's a rare thing to find.

Oh yeah, for sure - and frankly, if the deal is right, i dont mind the "and then some" because we have a lot of young players we could possibly dangle, I am always just a little hesitant to give out 1st rounders but I agree, for a guy like him, id do it most likely.

I think we'll all aboard on the Yandle train. The question is whether to try and get him now, or wait for the offseason. If we go for it now, there won't be near as much competition, and our 4 top-60 picks could make us a front runner for him. If we wait, he will come at a lower price, but there will probably be a lot more competition. Thoughts?

I would also offer Beaulieu and a first for him, the more I think about it. We will lose if Beaulieu turns into a Yandle, but I highly doubt that will happen. A Yandle and a healthy Diaz next year makes one of the best teams in the league on the back end IMO.

I still think Hainsey would be a decent pick up. Especially since we may not see Diaz back for a while. Asking price was supposedly just a 2nd round pick. Id go for it.

I would be hesitant. Still want to stay away from all non-hockey trades this week. Certainly wouldn't be heartbroken or anything if we went for it though.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: SJ trades Handzus to CHI.

For a 4th rounder? Good pickup on Chicago's part IMO.

Buffalo sabres have asked captain Jason Pomminville to provide them a list of 8 teams to which he'll refuse them a trade

I think we'll all aboard on the Yandle train. The question is whether to try and get him now, or wait for the offseason. If we go for it now, there won't be near as much competition, and our 4 top-60 picks could make us a front runner for him. If we wait, he will come at a lower price, but there will probably be a lot more competition. Thoughts?

I would also offer Beaulieu and a first for him, the more I think about it. We will lose if Beaulieu turns into a Yandle, but I highly doubt that will happen. A Yandle and a healthy Diaz next year makes one of the best teams in the league on the back end IMO.

I would be hesitant. Still want to stay away from all non-hockey trades this week. Certainly wouldn't be heartbroken or anything if we went for it though.

For a 4th rounder? Good pickup on Chicago's part IMO.

If we are targeting Yandle then we would have to move before the off season IMO. If he's being dangled right now,,, then he could be off the market if somebody else bites. He's not a UFA this summer.