The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What will it take to win it all

Actually, we potentially have everything we need to "win it all" but we require a few things to happen.

- First, as 1952 pointed out, consistency is key.

- Second, Carey needs to play the best he ever has - for 4 straight rounds of the playoffs. This is no easy feat but we've seen plenty of goalies nearly single handedly win cups. While teams like Pittsburg and Chicago intend to win using their skilled skaters, we only actually need one guy to be the best in the league at his position to win it all.

- Third, in order to actually make a run this year, a couple of our "up and comers" need to be ready to go. Specifically Galchenyuk. If he can find a groove & get one step closer to being the player most of us believe he can, this is a different team. Imagine the run a few years back - now throw an elite centre on that squad. If Eller continues to improve and Gallagher is consistent this is a MUCH Better team than the top 6 we expected we had when we went into this season.

- Fourth, we need to stay healthy. Specifically the blueline, several of whom are logging way too many minutes for my liking.

Add all this up and its possible (not likely, but possible) to make a cup run right now. The reality is though, that this team *should* (if the prospects pan out & the drafting continues to be strong) be a strong contender within a few years and thats without the need for Carey to stand on his head.

If i were the GM I would stand relatively pat at the trade deadline (barring some sort of incredible deal) and simply go into the playoffs with this squad & see where it takes us. It would also give us a better idea of what we need to get next summer.

Actually, we potentially have everything we need to "win it all" but we require a few things to happen.

- First, as 1952 pointed out, consistency is key.

- Second, Carey needs to play the best he ever has - for 4 straight rounds of the playoffs. This is no easy feat but we've seen plenty of goalies nearly single handedly win cups. While teams like Pittsburg and Chicago intend to win using their skilled skaters, we only actually need one guy to be the best in the league at his position to win it all.

- Third, in order to actually make a run this year, a couple of our "up and comers" need to be ready to go. Specifically Galchenyuk. If he can find a groove & get one step closer to being the player most of us believe he can, this is a different team. Imagine the run a few years back - now throw an elite centre on that squad. If Eller continues to improve and Gallagher is consistent this is a MUCH Better team than the top 6 we expected we had when we went into this season.

- Fourth, we need to stay healthy. Specifically the blueline, several of whom are logging way too many minutes for my liking.

Add all this up and its possible (not likely, but possible) to make a cup run right now. The reality is though, that this team *should* (if the prospects pan out & the drafting continues to be strong) be a strong contender within a few years and thats without the need for Carey to stand on his head.

If i were the GM I would stand relatively pat at the trade deadline (barring some sort of incredible deal) and simply go into the playoffs with this squad & see where it takes us. It would also give us a better idea of what we need to get next summer.

you don't think we should try and add a couple of pieces to shore up our defence or perhaps another forward?

Basically i am interested to know what you guy's think the team needs to go all the way?

One red-hot cowboy .....for 4 rounds. :rolleyes:

carey-price.jpg

Guest habs1952

do you guy's think our system will work in a playoff series and do we have the guy's to do that?

I do, if the players execute it, which brings us back to consistency.

They could use a sizeable 35+ goal scorer. A physical defenseman would be nice too.

They could move Armstrong, Weber, or Bourque for whatever they can get (more picks?) in order to help make something happen.

Talented leadership is pretty valuable in the playoffs.

Instead of going for a 5 min/game tough guy, development of strong PP-PK and 4 lines that can score should be priority. It fits with what they're doing right now anyways.
If they did add a scorer with some presence, the Canadiens can go far by keeping pressure up all game thanks to their speed and grit. Four lines that can play also relieves some pressure off Price as it keeps the opponents playing two way hockey the entire game. This is good against a team like Carolina that relies on one or two lines to do all the scoring. Depth, grit and scoring on all four lines is a good stretegy to win games. The fourth line should be able to stand up to a fight and be able to put the puck in the net too. (Prust, Moen, and Plek maybe?)

Guest Regis2

. The fourth line should be able to stand up to a fight and be able to put the puck in the net too. (Prust, Moen, and Plek maybe?)

Mr Plekanecs on the 4 th line ??? :huh:

To be a real contender there's still a need for another top 6 winger and a top 6 center (Galchenyuk is ideally that guy). Also, we're going to need another top-4 guy.

IS that in addition to diaz and borque?

To be honest, a hot streak, this team is arguably better than the team that went to the conference finals my first season watching.

We need prust to keep being as effective as he is.

We need Diaz to continue to play strong.

We need Bourque to continue his play as well.

IS that in addition to diaz and borque?

To be honest, a hot streak, this team is arguably better than the team that went to the conference finals my first season watching.

We need prust to keep being as effective as he is.

We need Diaz to continue to play strong.

We need Bourque to continue his play as well.

It's absolutely better than that team IMO. Which just proves your point, getting hot, particularly having your goal tender get hot is all it would take to at least make a serious run.

Again, I can't say a cup run is likely, but I think the only team who can right now is Chicago. Possibly Boston, but ask them if they want to face us in a 7 game series again? It's hard not to like Pittsburg if they're healthy but Fleury is pretty hit or miss.

Well, let's say this contending run happens next season. For me, the team needs to strengthen the blueline. That means cutting loose Bouillon and Weber, buying out Kaberle, bringing in a legit defensive defenseman to play in the top four. Maybe Bouillon stays as Brisebois-esque 7th d-man insurance, but that's it.

Second, we need a bit more sniping up front. Assuming Ryder isn't back, I'd really want to add a legit triggerman. We've got a lot of crash-and-bang players both big and small, but we're still short on pure scoring talent.

Third, we need to play better with leads and just generally shed that inconsistent cusp-team mentality. We're on the way to doing the latter, but still struggle a lot with the former.

Well, let's say this contending run happens next season. For me, the team needs to strengthen the blueline. That means cutting loose Bouillon and Weber, buying out Kaberle, bringing in a legit defensive defenseman to play in the top four. Maybe Bouillon stays as Brisebois-esque 7th d-man insurance, but that's it.

Second, we need a bit more sniping up front. Assuming Ryder isn't back, I'd really want to add a legit triggerman. We've got a lot of crash-and-bang players both big and small, but we're still short on pure scoring talent.

Third, we need to play better with leads and just generally shed that inconsistent cusp-team mentality. We're on the way to doing the latter, but still struggle a lot with the former.

I would absolutely love to make a run at Perry this summer if he's not re-signed. He's the kind of guy worth going term and dollars for. It's a tough decision on D IMO whether to try to bring in a top 4 or wait it out a bit longer. I think it's pretty likely at least one of our defensive prospects becomes a very legitimate top 4 guy.

Eveybodys mouth will be watering over Perry this summer. I expect he'll be resigned though. How do you let a guy like that go unless he hates playing there?

Well, like you mention, it is up to Perry. Maybe he wants to go play in a hockey market instead of California?

Not saying it's impossible he'll go elsewhere. I imagine his team will offer him close to max salary and full term. It's an extra year that other teams can't match,,, as per the CBA. They have an advantage over other teams.