The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What will it take to win it all

Personally I don't think paying corey perry ufa money is worth it..... We have a lot of young upcoming talent why over pay for anyone.... I think the core of this team is good abd I personally believe we have a good shot this year and the next 2 or 3 the key is we have amazing young talent getting payed entry level contracts that's allowing us to have 3 good scoring lines... I wouldn't even add a defensman because with diaz healthy we have a solid top 5 with 2 vet possibilities for the 6th in boulion and kaberle....

Personally I don't think paying corey perry ufa money is worth it..... We have a lot of young upcoming talent why over pay for anyone.... I think the core of this team is good abd I personally believe we have a good shot this year and the next 2 or 3 the key is we have amazing young talent getting payed entry level contracts that's allowing us to have 3 good scoring lines... I wouldn't even add a defensman because with diaz healthy we have a solid top 5 with 2 vet possibilities for the 6th in boulion and kaberle....

You're probably right. Perry is a very good player, but paying him UFA money will probably be ridiculous. I'm not sure Montreal would his destination of choice anyway.

I'm of the mindset as some others have pointed out - that we need a true top scorer. I know Boston is the antithesis to this model, but you can't hope that the zebras are going to put away their whistles while your team runs roughshod over everyone every season.

What we need:

- top scorer (or game breaker if you will) - I think Iggy could come cheap at the deadline

- another gritty guy like Prust who can score - no, Armstrong and White are not it - I think a guy like Brian Boyle in NY would be a addition

- another top 4 D man (preferably a puck-mover) - maybe a return of Mark Streit?

But I think it all comes down to where we'll end up in the standings. I think if we end up on the top, management might be more likely to make a move to improve for the run. If we end up in the middle (where I think we'll be), then I don't see any big trades happening.

it should be interesting to see what happens at trade deadline! we may do nothing but we could also be buyers for the first time in a while! if we picked up some short term help for the rest of the season and the playoffs that could walk at the seasons end i am ok with that. we have some young lads that i have to believe will make the team next year. it would be great to have a lucic type forward and a big presence on the blueline but we shall see

- another top 4 D man (preferably a puck-mover) - maybe a return of Mark Streit?

Actually, I'd say it's more pressing to get that shutdown defensive guy who can do yeoman's work on the PK and eat up quality ES minutes to take the load off Markov. We're stocked up with puck-movers at the moment (Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz) but short on solid shutdown guys you can trust with DZone starts and killing penalties.

Actually, I'd say it's more pressing to get that shutdown defensive guy who can do yeoman's work on the PK and eat up quality ES minutes to take the load off Markov. We're stocked up with puck-movers at the moment (Markov, Subban, Kaberle, Diaz) but short on solid shutdown guys you can trust with DZone starts and killing penalties.

Any idea on who's available?

To win it all, is quite a huge assemption, i would rather prefer the contend for years to come. In order to do so, obviously there are some holes to fill, but not much roster twinkering, because right now it seems that the balance of the team is extremely efficient, and the product on ice, is a winning one. I think an addition or two are enough, if healthy, to rise us over the top.

Adding size, grit and toughness, is again this year a great topic in Montreal. I for one am a big fan of getting bigger and tougher but i want these additions to be skilled too. By taking a look at our defensive roster its obvious that a big body might benefit this team a lot. A big body that can clean the crease and log big minutes, so that we can drop some of Markov's playing time. Our forwards roster seems to be clinching right now but a big body that can stand by team mates and provide an upgrade at the PK and the FO circle, might also be a great addition.

Analyzing our forward lines stracture, when healthy, i think that:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher, is a line that should be kept together. Ferocious forecheck speed and great chemistry, the will provide the much needed points offensively.

Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta, is a line that have worked in the past, and will again in the future. Bourque adds size and Gionta adds experience in a line that can contribute both in offense and defense.

Galtsenuyk-Eller-Ryder, is a line than we havent seen because Prust, is fitted in, but Ryder has to play somewhere right? If not he may very well be expendable, at the deadline as he becomes an UFA at the end of the year seeking a figure probably above 4,5M.

Prust-White-Moen/Armstrong, is a good 4th line, but i think with one move we can have an exceptional 4th line, a line that wins Cups and trophies, by adding size, grit, scoring and great special teams. I would offer the DAL 3rd pick to the NYR for Boyle. I realize that they aren't probably sellers but they will have a huge problem with the salary next year, and probably they will need to shed some salary in order to resign their RFA and UFA in the offseason. Boyle's value is close to a 3rd rounder, but they will probably hesitate because they will make a run of their own. In this case i would consider offering Ryder for their run for a package of Boyle, McIlrath and NYR 2nd round pick. This trade will benefit both clubs as NYR adds an offensive weapon that comes off the books at the summer, and we can reunite the Prust-Eller-Galtsenuyk line and have a Moen-Boyle-White 4th line, plus a decent prospect and an additional pick.

Analyzing our defensive pairings i think that:

We need to make good use of the money that Kaberle earns. We can't have 4,25M sitting at the bench although the future amnesty buyout option. This money can potentially be invested in a player that is a member of the defensive unit, not an extra. The problem is that no one seems to take on Kaberle's salary. I think that we should target a team that wants to unload a similar contract and is a seller at the deadline. A player with a contract like this in a probably seller team is Bouwmeester. He has size is decent at both sides of the rink and can handle loads of ice time. He is signed for next year too, which means we will have a set defense for another year, in order to let the kids mature at the AHL. When his contract expires (same as Markov) we will have 12M to resign Subban, Emelin, Diaz and bring up the kids. Bouwmeester's value will be high but i think that we have something that other teams don't. We have their 2nd round pick and a decent center prospect. My offer would be Kaberle, Leblanc and CGY 2nd round pick and my tandems...

Subban-Bouwmeester

Markov-Emelin

Gorges-Diaz/Bouillion

Guest Regis2

What would it to take to win it all................. :unsure:

Make the playoffs - once you make the playoffs anyhting can happen

Have your goalie go on an incredible hot streak ( it helps ) - look @ Roloson & the oilers in 2005/06, Halak, and Roy in 1986

Stay Healthy -

Be lucky - sometimes it helps when other teams knock out the favorites

Honestly with the cap space we have this offseason and most of our core locked up long term (except PK and Gally's) I would seriously look at adding an elite winger to the team in the offseason. As well as anohter top 4/top 2 d-man thats still relatively young.

Probably going to have to choose between one or the other. I still think Hainsey could be a good addition.

Well, like you mention, it is up to Perry. Maybe he wants to go play in a hockey market instead of California?

in an old interview perry mentioned he is a habs fan

I'm of the mindset as some others have pointed out - that we need a true top scorer. I know Boston is the antithesis to this model, but you can't hope that the zebras are going to put away their whistles while your team runs roughshod over everyone every season.

What we need:

- top scorer (or game breaker if you will) - I think Iggy could come cheap at the deadline

- another gritty guy like Prust who can score - no, Armstrong and White are not it - I think a guy like Brian Boyle in NY would be a addition

But I think it all comes down to where we'll end up in the standings. I think if we end up on the top, management might be more likely to make a move to improve for the run. If we end up in the middle (where I think we'll be), then I don't see any big trades happening.

Iggy wont come cheap unless he demands to be traded. Even then it would be a bidding war between Boston Pittsburgh and possibly us and/or sens. Not including any teams out west that want him.

I would love to have Brian Boyle on our fourth line. Let white play the wing and slide armstrong out (love the guy but hes not great). Boyles also good for the locker room and seemed close with Prust, they were roommates on the road.

Like i said above, Hainsey might be out there. I dont think we really need an offensive guy like Streit when we have Markov Diaz Kaberle and Weber.

I'm with you regis, i don't like the Boom signing. He seems to have slid into a defensive role in Calgary. 6.6 mil for a defensive dman is steep. He can help offensively, but has never had the offensive numbers he once had in Florida.

His situation is a bit like Hamrlik's was though, he's been used very defensively by Calgary and plays a ton of minutes. He's a shutdown type guy now, yes but he still contributes enough offense to play in any situation. If we got him it's like a better version of the Hamrlik we got in 2007 and he's a touch younger. I'd have no issue in paying him big money, he's quite good but the problem would be paying him big money on top of paying assets to trade for him. He's only signed 1 more year too. Probably not worth it for us. He would make a massive difference though. Too bad. And it's a weak year for UFA DMen. 29 years old, great size, great skating, good offense, very good D. Those guys are going to cost an arm and a leg. The contract looks bad but people basically just look at point totals.

it should be interesting to see what happens at trade deadline! we may do nothing but we could also be buyers for the first time in a while! if we picked up some short term help for the rest of the season and the playoffs that could walk at the seasons end i am ok with that. we have some young lads that i have to believe will make the team next year. it would be great to have a lucic type forward and a big presence on the blueline but we shall see

We were buyers 2 seasons ago when we added a few guys like Wiz and Sopel, so it hasn't been that long. The reality is that despite playing exceptionally well in these 24 games, we're not a finished product yet. I say maybe make a small time move with a prospect who's fallen out of favor or that extra 3rd we got in the Cole-Ryder swap but in terms of moving top 60 draft picks or top end prospects for rental players, we're just not there yet as an organization. Keep stock piling.

This isn't a team that needs depth really, it's impact or nothing and impact is just too expensive around the deadline. I know we have 3 2nds but unless Marc can pull off some kind of rental robbery (like getting Wiz for a 2nd), I'm not inclined to think moving them for a short term asset is a great idea. It's nice to have those kinds of assets come draft day.

We were buyers 2 seasons ago when we added a few guys like Wiz and Sopel, so it hasn't been that long. The reality is that despite playing exceptionally well in these 24 games, we're not a finished product yet. I say maybe make a small time move with a prospect who's fallen out of favor or that extra 3rd we got in the Cole-Ryder swap but in terms of moving top 60 draft picks or top end prospects for rental players, we're just not there yet as an organization. Keep stock piling.

This isn't a team that needs depth really, it's impact or nothing and impact is just too expensive around the deadline. I know we have 3 2nds but unless Marc can pull off some kind of rental robbery (like getting Wiz for a 2nd), I'm not inclined to think moving them for a short term asset is a great idea. It's nice to have those kinds of assets come draft day.

i am not really just thinking about this year. if we do some rounds this year that would be great, i feel we are at a point that with some good short term moves that don't mortgage our future on we could be a very solid contender. i am a firm believer in building our own team with the draft but as we are playing well now it would be nice to keep that going and build on it. i like to see what peoples ideas are it is interesting to see the different points of view.

This is basically where I stand. One of our second rounders is the absolute max I'm willing to see us pay for anyone that would be around beyond next year and even then it better be solid value.

If it something that helps us in the future, obviously all bets are off. Overall though, I'd like to see us stand relatively pat while I continue to dream of signing Perry in the off season.

The original question was to win it all this season I believe:

Turn Brian Gionta into David Clarkson

Turn Raphael Diaz into Douglas Murray

Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher

Bourque Plekanec Ryder

Galchenyuk Eller Clarkson

Moen Nokelainen Prust

Murray Subban

Markov Emelin

Gorges Bouillon

Price

I have no idea how MB could pull that off but I think that's the required upgrade needed to be legit contenders this season, otherwise I agree we stay the course and use this season and playoffs as bonus development and evaluation time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

you said solid and d then kaberle are you sure i'd rather buy him out and go for Pardy

All it takes is guts and will and a desperation to succeed,it's what got us where we are this season,we did it with our little guys who mostly can outskate anybody or keep pace with them,every one is always on about being tough,do you think smaller people can't be tough or hold their own,well I think Gally proves your wrong .

Smaller guys have more stamina because they don't have to carry such a load,you don't know what a difference that can make,and it has been proven that it is not relative in several studies,into why the best long distance runners are small.

Any way White isn't all that big,but just looking at his neck and nobody on the street in their right mind would take him on,Cammy pound for pound is supposed to be the strongest in the league,but it is against his nature to fight,and I am afraid a lot of people are going to be dissapointed in Tinordi,he said after he was drafted that he wasn't a fighter and he didn't want to fight.

No just leave it to the guys they know how to do it.

GO HABS GO :lol::lol:

Better coverage in defensive zone face off losses.

Improved PK.

better mid and low slot coverage/shooter identification by the wingers

Agreed. And Gionta and Plenenak and Gorges need to lead instead of playing the worst hockey on the team, especially defensively.

Plus stand on you head goaltending needs to occur.

• 5 weeks later...

Clear out the UFAs/RFAs. Don't re-sign Bouillon and Ryder.

Trade Gionta for a big, skilled right winger. Trade Paciocetty for a skilled playmaking winger to rehabilitate DD.

Make Brandon Prust new captain.

Trade Gorges + Diaz for big, tough D-mn. Get rid of Drewiske. Spend big $$$ to bolster defence. Get a younger, bigger Markov replacement in preparation for compliance buyout.

Overall roster should have a 60:40 ratio of D-men vs forwards.

Trade Gionta for a big, skilled right winger. Trade Paciocetty for a skilled playmaking winger to rehabilitate DD.

Trade Gorges + Diaz for big, tough D-mn. Get rid of Drewiske. Spend big $$$ to bolster defence. Get a younger, bigger Markov replacement in preparation for compliance buyout.

What's that even mean?

I don't really agree on much of what you said. We have already re-signed Bouillon to a 1 year deal to help aid in the development of Tinordi and Beaulieu and I agree with that move by Bergevin. Not re-signing Ryder i do agree with I feel like its time to move on and he provided exactly what we needed him to do and that is free up cap space for us.

Trading our captain just makes me irk inside. He has been a great leader on the team and I would like to see his role be moved down to the 3rd line rather then traded off. Offering him a lower contract after the next season would seem reasonable to me somewhere in the 2 - 2.5 mill range. If he walks its no hard feelings for a great leader. Where I disagree with you the most is to trade Pacioretty. That is probably the dumbest thing we could do because he is our best player , and the signing of the extension contract proves that management feels the same way. The guy also took a modest 4.5 million when he could've asked for me.

As for our Defence I love the way it is looking and growing each day. With a compliance buyout imminent on Kaberle (thank god!) and the letting go of Drewiskie (thanks but no thanks!) Trading Diaz or Gorges just doesn't make sense. To me Gorges is a top 4 stay at home D who is a key shot blocker (ranking top 10 most years) This year we saw the emergence of Emelin and Diaz which was very pleasent to see. With Subban only getting better and Tinordi and Bealieau both possibly making the jump next year We have a solid young Defensive Core with a boat load of upside. With 3 picks in the Top 40 we can easily select a strong prospect on the blue line to keep the depth going.

Whatever we do on draft day will be great to see. I personally feel like we should stay put with our picks and let the depth of this draft present its self to us. With our 1st pick id like us to take a big skilled forward. With our 2nd round picks if Fucale is available id like to see him taken for some depth in our most critical position The Goaltender. Our prospect pool of Goalies is weak and we need to solidify it. Adding another big defenceman like Samuel Morin will help aswell. If we should lose a d man this year to graduation which we will most likely.

To me what we need to win it all is a top 6 winger or for a forward in our prospect pool to prove himself like the Gally's did this year. Maybe someone like Kristo who played for USA at WHC this past month.