The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

What will it take to win it all

Guest Regis2

Clear out the UFAs/RFAs. Don't re-sign Bouillon and Ryder.

Trade Gionta for a big, skilled right winger. Trade Paciocetty for a skilled playmaking winger to rehabilitate DD.

Make Brandon Prust new captain.

Trade Gorges + Diaz for big, tough D-mn. Get rid of Drewiske. Spend big $$$ to bolster defence. Get a younger, bigger Markov replacement in preparation for compliance buyout.

Overall roster should have a 60:40 ratio of D-men vs forwards.

Bouillon is already signed

I don't expect Ryder to be re signed

Please tell me which team would trade a big , skilled winger for a small, skilled , aging winger

Trading Gorges and Diaz for big tough d men is easier said than done. Every team wants big tough D men

Drewskie is an UFA

22 man roster

2 goalies

8 D man

12 forwards ..........would seem you need 1/2 your roster needs to be forwards = 4 lines ; 3 guys / line ?

Time.

Not much, they can even be very competitive short term.

But the Habs look poised to contend for years to come. They have some VERY young guys who are going to be very experienced at young ages.

Eller will be over 250 after next season.The Young G's already at over 100 NHL regular season games. PK will have more than 250 games.

Price will pass 350 next season.

I really like the make up of this team, I did going into this season despite last years' finish. I saw in last years squad a team being coached by a guy who didn't have direction...people think they need all sorts of improvements, just more depth really.

I'd be against anything on a long term this Summer, give it another offseason, time is on the Habs' side. Keep an ear open for mid season trades (lotta d-men need to be re-signed in the next 15 months.) and grab some guys on one year deals.

Ideally the Habs have all 3 of Gionta, Gallagher, and Desharnais on separate lines.

Could Gallagher be up for playing top line shutdown minutes on Plekx' wing? I think Pacio would be up for the challenge personally and I have no doubt Gallagher would as well.

I believe Bourque would be great with Desharnais, forget the 2nd/3rd line and put Prust on the left side and Bourque on the right and Desharnais down the middle.

Then you have the luxury of playing a savvy veteran like Gionta with 2 young thoroughbreds who might just be developing some serious rapport with one another on the ice.