The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game 35, THERE IS NO GDT THREAD TODAY.

kinot-1

Liability is a bit of a stretch for a guy who's logged 25 minutes per night against the best the opposition has to offer. He's made mistakes and had a few rough games, absolutely. But overall his even strength play has not been sub par. He's very skilled with the poke check and his breakout passes are second to none.

Both he and Emelin are responsible for some really bad defensive plays but those things are always easier to remember than the good things.

and bam

I agree. I mean seriously, who are going to replace Emelin with? Kaberle? Weber? Do you replace him with Beaulieu or Tinordi who have very little pro experience? Plus the guy even took on Chara and survived.

Missed the first period, how did we look? I see the score is tied and Markov-Emelin were on for yet another goal against...

It really felt like a glorious start, IMO. Much like the Rangers had against us. Then a nasty breakdown leading to the goal against. One mildly annoying power play, and then one that connected pretty quick.

I'd give them a B at the moment.

As I said, Markov still has value on the PP. At ES, he only has 4 assists in 34 games. Zero goals. And on a team that's 3rd or 4th in the league in goal differential, he's a -2. I fully realize he's being overplayed, as I stated. But that's why I'm noting that IN HIS CURRENT ROLE, he's more a liability than an asset. The potential solutions are to cut back on his ice or to switch up his partner. He and Emelin are burned almost on a nightly basis, and even the stats don't reflect how many times Price has bailed them out for D zone breakdowns and breakaways allowed. I see the value in Markov on the PP. But he's no longer good enough to play the role MT has put him in at ES.

Hey, I too would very much like Markov to play 22-23 minutes a night instead of 27+. It's just that liability is a strong word to use, defensive lapses aside. You frequently see him make good, smart plays as well, but those are easily forgotten. MAB on the other hand...

It really felt like a glorious start, IMO. Much like the Rangers had against us. Then a really nasty breakdown leading to the goal against. One mildly annoying power play, and then one that connected really quick.

I'd give them a B at the moment.

Cool, thanks. I also see we outshot them two to one in the period, so it must have been one of those fire-drill sequences where we forget how to play basic defense.

Missed the first period, how did we look? I see the score is tied and Markov-Emelin were on for yet another goal against...

We carried the play for the most part. A lot of talk about the D breakdown but i saw it more as the forwards not covering the trailer.

Cool, thanks. I also see we outshot them two to one in the period, so it must have been one of those fire-drill sequences where we forget how to play basic defense.

Indeed. It wasn't just the D pair's fault, it was just a total lack of situational awareness by everyone involved. I think we'd all like a lot less of those. ;)

Hey, I too would very much like Markov to play 22-23 minutes a night instead of 27+. It's just that liability is a strong word to use, defensive lapses aside. You frequently see him make good, smart plays as well, but those are easily forgotten. MAB on the other hand...

You can't lump defensive lapses into an 'aside' when they are consistent, awful, and costly. He is an even-strength liability in his current role, no doubt about it. Ted wasn't saying he's a liability period, but rather a liability as long as we continue to pretend he can log the minutes and ES time he's being given. And his good, smart plays are not leading to much production at even strength, so yes, he is an ES liability...

Indeed. It wasn't just the D pair's fault, it was just a total lack of situational awareness by everyone involved. I think we'd all like a lot less of those. ;)

I'm actually a bit concerned about the coaching. Our positional play in our own end has regressed a LOT this year. Like, our system maxes out a good forecheck and puts the puck on our stick a lot, but if we get caught chasing the puck or we turn it over, no one seems to know what to do or who to cover all too frequently for my taste.

We carried the play for the most part. A lot of talk about the D breakdown but i saw it more as the forwards not covering the trailer.

A persistent problem this season. Mid-slot and high seams are left wide open and we have massive difficulty covering the trailer.

You're correct that he makes good plays as well, and no we're not in MAB territory. But from what we've seen, Markov isn't handling his minutes well, and to me, the defensive breakdowns are outnumbering the scoring chances he's creating. I'm not saying he needs to sit, but his minutes need to be scaled back. AS many of us have been saying for a while, MT should

1) use Emelin-Subban as his #1 pairing and give them 24-26 minutes a night. PK gets a bit more ice because he plays both special teams on the 1st units. Emelin shifts back over to his natural left side to minimize his errors.

2) put Markov-Gorges as his second pairing and play them 20-22 minutes a game. Given our surplus of left-handed D men, someone has to play on the right and it should be Gorges, who's the only guy who's really shown he can make that transition smoothly. He's also the most defensively-reliable D man, so he best complements Markov's skillset.

i think we need to get a solid shut down defensman to play top 4 minutes

The price for such a player is not worth it this year, IMO. I really don't think Bergevin is going to endanger the future based on this season.

The ideal solution would be to acquire a legit RH top-four d-man of the stay-at-home variety, letting us drop Markov into a 4th d-man position. But absent a trade, we can still help him and ourselves out by scaling back his ES time (distributing it between Subban and Gorges) and switching up the D partners (Emelin-Subban, Markov-Gorges).