The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#44 Davis Drewiske 2012-2013

• 1 month later...

I don't know, I'm confused....Did anyone else see anything about this guy that warranted a re-upping?

This is a smart signing. Depth on defence is crucial in the NHL. Drewiske might not be an every night d-man, but he's not being paid like one either. If he's a smart guy who understands his role and is willing to do what it takes to be a solid member of the organization where is the downside to this signing?

My guess is the Habs want a defence that goes 9, or even 10 deep.

Drewiske now is a part of that, and signed for 2 years making very little against the cap.

Smart signing, people can make japes about it all they want but he improves the team, not hurts it.

At least we can stop worrying about our defense core ;).

I have to think it's a two-way contract, or a one way at around league minimum so we can have him play in Hamilton and/or leave in in the pressbox all year without hesitation.

From the Bleacher Report:

According to La Presse, the deal is for $1.275 million, with $625,000 coming in year one and $650,000 in year two. Drewiske also gets a one-way deal.With the move, the club now has nine defensemen under contract for next season: Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban, Josh Gorges, Tomas Kaberle, Francis Bouillon, Raphael Diaz, Jarred Tinordi, Drewiske and Emelin.

Not sure why... :blink: But I guess he can easily be reassigned to Hamilton even with the one-way deal. I doubt anyone would claim him on waivers and he provides a little bit of depth. Don't really care for the deal, but I guess the organization saw a need for a depth defender. As if we don't already have enough 5 - 6 guys.

This is a smart signing. Depth on defence is crucial in the NHL. Drewiske might not be an every night d-man, but he's not being paid like one either. If he's a smart guy who understands his role and is willing to do what it takes to be a solid member of the organization where is the downside to this signing?

My guess is the Habs want a defence that goes 9, or even 10 deep.

Drewiske now is a part of that, and signed for 2 years making very little against the cap.

Smart signing, people can make japes about it all they want but he improves the team, not hurts it.

It's a depth move, simple as that. They can't seriously have a roster spot for this guy.

I was happy when we acquired him, then he became a big disappointment imo.

Not sure why... :blink: But I guess he can easily be reassigned to Hamilton even with the one-way deal. I doubt anyone would claim him on waivers and he provides a little bit of depth. Don't really care for the deal, but I guess the organization saw a need for a depth defender. As if we don't already have enough 5 - 6 guys.

It was an easy signing, i agree completely, we have way too many low pairing dmen. But the FA market hasn't opened yet, so there's still time to land a top 4 dman, who could slide into a top pairing role in case of injury.

He's being paid so little that a one-way deal definitely does not preclude him spending time in the minors if need be.

And as JR already brought up, i doubt he would be claimed off waivers. So we could move him between Hamilton and Montreal depending on our needs.

It was an easy signing, i agree completely, we have way too many low pairing dmen. But the FA market hasn't opened yet, so there's still time to land a top 4 dman, who could slide into a top pairing role in case of injury.

Are there going to be an decent UFA's this year on defence,anything even half good will be resigned by their teams,anything really good won't go to Montreal

GO HABS GO :wub::wub: :wub:

He's being paid so little that a one-way deal definitely does not preclude him spending time in the minors if need be.

Not that Drewskie really has any sort of leverage, but most guys like him are more readily willing to accept less (ie: at or around league minimum) if it's a one way contract, because of the security. It certainly doesn't bother me whether he makes $600K vs $100K while he's in the minors.

Not that Drewskie really has any sort of leverage, but most guys like him are more readily willing to accept less (ie: at or around league minimum) if it's a one way contract, because of the security. It certainly doesn't bother me whether he makes $600K vs $100K while he's in the minors.

If anything Bean, I'd prefer guys like him to be on 1 way deals. THat's an area a team like the Habs should be willing to "abuse" the cap system a bit.

Pay the guys you expect to be 9 or 10 on your depth chart (or 14, 15 at forward) 1 way deals, and then a lot of the lower earning teams will be more reluctant to claim them.

Drewiske in his games played did nothing to make me think he's unworthy of having an NHL contract, it's not unheard of for guys like him to take their game to another level in their late 20's/early 30's either, not saying he'll ever be a top 4 guy, but he could find a niche as a solid bottom pairing guy in a couple of years. Everything we ever hear about him raves about his intelligence.

If the signing was made with the intent of his being a veteran in Hamilton (like a Henry or Commodore) who can be recalled in case of injury, then it's a good signing. If MB really believes he will help the NHL team, as his comments implied, it seems a bit odd, seeing as he couldn't crack the regular roster much last year. If you count out Kaberle as a buyout and Emelin as injured to start the year, I'd still peg Drewiske behind Markov, Subban, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon, possibly Weber and likely Tinordi. So unless MB plans on no further upgrades to his D, it would seem at least one of Weber or Drewiske has no role on the team coming out of camp. Given the drop-off in talent after Subban, it would be disappointing to enter the season without making a move to upgrade the top 3, but everything has a price, and in truth, I'd be more disappointed to see us deal Tinordi or Beaulieu to create a short-term fix.

If the signing was made with the intent of his being a veteran in Hamilton (like a Henry or Commodore) who can be recalled in case of injury, then it's a good signing. If MB really believes he will help the NHL team, as his comments implied, it seems a bit odd, seeing as he couldn't crack the regular roster much last year. If you count out Kaberle as a buyout and Emelin as injured to start the year, I'd still peg Drewiske behind Markov, Subban, Gorges, Diaz, Bouillon, possibly Weber and likely Tinordi. So unless MB plans on no further upgrades to his D, it would seem at least one of Weber or Drewiske has no role on the team coming out of camp. Given the drop-off in talent after Subban, it would be disappointing to enter the season without making a move to upgrade the top 3, but everything has a price, and in truth, I'd be more disappointed to see us deal Tinordi or Beaulieu to create a short-term fix.

I had hopes he could be a help to us, but he struggled a lot in his own end, never seemed to get his groove. always a step or 2 behind the play and chasing the puck.

He spent a lot of time as a healthy scratch in LA and had we not been riddled with injuries, I don't know how much he would've played here.

Depth move, but as JR already pointed out, how many lower pairing dmen do we need in Montreal?

I agree, short term fix, I would not deal away Tinordi or Beaulieu. A guy like Bogosian, I would definitely look into it, but for his size he's not overly physical.

I could be reading all wrong, but the sense i got from Mb is that he's happy with how our blueline looks as of today with the signing. Drewiskie could break out and become a solid shut down 5th/6th guy, maybe even a 4th, but I'm not really feeling it.

We need a 2nd pairing dman, either we wait it out until Tinordi or Beaulieu or other prospect are ready or we make a move this summer. But the blueline as is, needs help, Drew is not the answer.