The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

#44 Davis Drewiske 2012-2013

I would think he stays up until Emelin is back or one of the rookies make it out of camp. Then we'll put him on waivers. I have no problem with it, although I would have preferred a one year deal.

As for the top 4 D man, I think MB is just gonna wait it out with Tinordi and Beaulieu.

I don't know, I'm confused....Did anyone else see anything about this guy that warranted a re-upping?

Simpler question: did anyone see this guy at all the last month of the season,

The reason this is so strange is it seemed like something happened near the end of the regular season where the coaching staff completely lost faith in him and he fell off our depth chart. Didn't think he'd be re-signed,.

We had a very small sample size. Give him some time this offseason and at training camp. I'm sure he will be better this season*

Note I said better, I dont actually expect him to play often, but when he does, he will probably be better than last year

I remember when we got Josh,,,and the 1st year IMO, he was just another D-man,,,but he got better and better, and now he's a top 4 D-man. I'm willing to give DD a few months with the Habs, to see what he brings. He didn't really have a chance to get used to MT and his system, or for that matter,,, his teammates.

Not sure why... :blink: But I guess he can easily be reassigned to Hamilton even with the one-way deal. I doubt anyone would claim him on waivers and he provides a little bit of depth. Don't really care for the deal, but I guess the organization saw a need for a depth defender. As if we don't already have enough 5 - 6 guys.

We have enough 5-6 guys but maybe we didn't have enough 7-8 guys ;)

His contract and MB's comments make me believe he'll be a 7-8 guy who spends most of his time in the pressbox. You need one or two guys like this; a veteran making near league minimum who will keep practicing and sit in the pressbox without complaining, who can give you a few games when injuries pile up if you need him to.

We had a very small sample size. Give him some time this offseason and at training camp. I'm sure he will be better this season*

Note I said better, I dont actually expect him to play often, but when he does, he will probably be better than last year

When a trade is made it is usually to get immediate help, or to acquire a young prospect who has some potential. Anything outside of this makes no sense whatsoever. Lets not forget that while this guy is not exactly "old", but by NHL standards, he's not really "young" either. So, I ask again, what value does he really add to our team? Some have said that he's going to be a bench-rider, but then did you really need to extend a guy for 2 years to sit on the bench? Some say he's to go the minors as a "vet". Really? Why pay this guy anything more than the minimum then? It looks to me that the signs seem to point to MB liking this guy in our lineup.

When a trade is made it is usually to get immediate help, or to acquire a young prospect who has some potential. Anything outside of this makes no sense whatsoever. Lets not forget that while this guy is not exactly "old", but by NHL standards, he's not really "young" either. So, I ask again, what value does he really add to our team? Some have said that he's going to be a bench-rider, but then did you really need to extend a guy for 2 years to sit on the bench? Some say he's to go the minors as a "vet". Really? Why pay this guy anything more than the minimum then? It looks to me that the signs seem to point to MB liking this guy in our lineup.

He's pretty much making the minimum.

He's pretty much making the minimum.

I thought the minimum was $525,000? That's a bit different than $625,000. I guess in terms of NHL salaries $100,000 is not that much. But when it comes to negotiating with upcoming FAs $100,000 here or there could make a difference in bargaining. Or am I just splitting hairs?

I thought the minimum was $525,000? That's a bit different than $625,000. I guess in terms of NHL salaries $100,000 is not that much. But when it comes to negotiating with upcoming FAs $100,000 here or there could make a difference in bargaining. Or am I just splitting hairs?

Pretty much. :lol:

Didn't they increase the minimum a year or two ago?

i could be wrong, but thought the minimum was now around 750k.

use to be 550 or 650, but possible they put it up. That may change or has now that the cap has dropped.

I thought the minimum used to be 525K but became 625K...But I could be wrong.

i could be wrong, but thought the minimum was now around 750k.

use to be 550 or 650, but possible they put it up. That may change or has now that the cap has dropped.

From CBC sports,,,dated Jan. 6th, this year:

• "The minimum salary starts at $525,000 this season and reaches $750,000 for the 10th and final year of the agreement.

That's all it said on the minimum salary.

• Any player on a one-way contract who plays in the American Hockey League with a salary in excess of the NHL's minimum salary plus $375,000 will have the excess amount charged against his team's salary cap.

From CBC sports,,,dated Jan. 6th, this year:

• "The minimum salary starts at $525,000 this season and reaches $750,000 for the 10th and final year of the agreement.

That's all it said on the minimum salary.

• Any player on a one-way contract who plays in the American Hockey League with a salary in excess of the NHL's minimum salary plus $375,000 will have the excess amount charged against his team's salary cap.

There we go.

i knew that 750k played into somehow.

Thanks for clearing that up Kinot.

I remember when we got Josh,,,and the 1st year IMO, he was just another D-man,,,but he got better and better, and now he's a top 4 D-man. I'm willing to give DD a few months with the Habs, to see what he brings. He didn't really have a chance to get used to MT and his system, or for that matter,,, his teammates.

His nickname in San Jose was "Curious Gorges" :lol: