The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Award Candidates

jeff33

This should be put under the heading "Are You Kidding Me?" :blink::lol:

trawnna nominated James Reimer

"Reimer was picked by the Toronto Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association for the award, honouring the player who best exemplifies "perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

I don't know, he struggled quite a bit to come back from that concussion and turned it around nicely this year. What other Leaf player is more deserving?

I don't know, he struggled quite a bit to come back from that concussion and turned it around nicely this year. What other Leaf player is more deserving?

I dunno, that whole team has persevered through playing in Toronto and not making the playoffs all these years.

With the way Conacher and Yakupov have turned it up lately, it seems possible to me that Gallagher falls out of nomination territory. Hopefully he can get a couple goals or points to make a final push for it.

Don't think Gallagher will fall out of the nominations to be honest. Yakupov doesn't deserve a nod, if you ask me.

Guest Regis2

Don't think Gallagher will fall out of the nominations to be honest. Yakupov doesn't deserve a nod, if you ask me.

Well he's tied for 1st in points which is about all the nominators look at

So I would tend to agree with previous poster that BG 's probably behidn in the nomination category

With the way Conacher and Yakupov have turned it up lately, it seems possible to me that Gallagher falls out of nomination territory. Hopefully he can get a couple goals or points to make a final push for it.

If looking at points alone, then BG may fall down the list, if he gets passed. But if a hot streak to end the season is all it takes, then Galchenyuk should be considered as well.

Looking over the whole season, BG has been one of the most consistent rookies. has slowed a little lately, but his season overall imo is better than some of these young guns who have turned it on lately.

But I'm not one of the voters, I'm giving my opinion and what I'd been looking for.

Another thing I'd consider, is how the team uses/used their rookies. If the team relied on them for scoring, energy and PP/PK, then he's a value to his team, not just a kid playing on the lower line trying to gain experience. BG has been one of the players MT counted on for his offensive attack. To me it speaks wonders about the character of a rookie if his team values his effort and uses him on a regular basis for offense/defense.

Guest habs1952

If looking at points alone, then BG may fall down the list, if he gets passed. But if a hot streak to end the season is all it takes, then Galchenyuk should be considered as well.

Looking over the whole season, BG has been one of the most consistent rookies. has slowed a little lately, but his season overall imo is better than some of these young guns who have turned it on lately.

But I'm not one of the voters, I'm giving my opinion and what I'd been looking for.

Another thing I'd consider, is how the team uses/used their rookies. If the team relied on them for scoring, energy and PP/PK, then he's a value to his team, not just a kid playing on the lower line trying to gain experience. BG has been one of the players MT counted on for his offensive attack. To me it speaks wonders about the character of a rookie if his team values his effort and uses him on a regular basis for offense/defense.

We can blame that on DD.

Guest habs1952

That may actually play in his favour... despite havin g struggling linemates, Gallagher has continued to put up the points. To me, that speaks volumes about his character and drive.

We see that every game, I don't think the voters do. The voters are concerned more about points than anything else. A rookie who gets 50 points playing with Crosby will get more attention than a rookie who gets 40 points with Ryan White as his center.

We see that every game, I don't think the voters do. The voters are concerned more about points than anything else. A rookie who gets 50 points playing with Crosby will get more attention than a rookie who gets 40 points with Ryan White as his center.

It is flawed and like I've often said, stats don't always tell the whole story.

Eller imo has been on of our hardest working forwards this season, yet it hardly shows up on the scoresheet. The fact that it rarely shows up on the scoresheet, does that means he has no value to his team?

Gainey rarely scored a goal or helpers, but he was such an important part of our dynasty. When the Red Army team played us, they said that Gainey was the hardest player they had ever had to play against. Yet it never showed up.

These would be my major awards for the season:

1. Hart: John Tavares... took a nothing team and got them into the playoffs. In terms of value to his team, which is what the award recognizes, I think he's #1. Runners-up: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin.

2. Norris: P.K. Subban... led the league in goals for D-men, tied in points, and did this with a fairly weak supporting cast on D and despite being 6 games a short training camp behind the rest of the league in conditioning. Runners-up: Kris Letang, Ryan Suter.

3. Vezina: Sergei Bobrovsky... didn't quite get into the playoffs, but he had a phenomenal year backstopping a marginal team. Runners-up: Henrik Lundqvist, Antti Niemi.

4. Jack Adams: Paul MacLean... catastrophic injuries and he still has his team in the post-season. Runners-up: Joel Quenneville, Michel Therrien.

5. Calder: Brendan Gallagher... the only two guys to outscore him played more minutes and in meaningless games. Gallagher was gold when it counted. Runners-up: Jonathan Huberdeau, Brandon Saad.

6. Selke: Jonathan Toews,,, could have been in the MVP discussion too, but a very good two-way forward. Runners-up: Patrice Bergeron, Pavel Datsyuk.

And if Gallagher played the same amount of games as Huberdeau and Yakupov he probably would have tied them or come a point back. I don't really like the +/- stat but him, Saad, and Galchenyuk are way above others in that category.

Maybe, but it's hard to say. One could say the same thing about Letang passing Subban or Crosby passing St. Louis and the MVP candidates or Anderson passing Bobrovsky. In the end, you can only judge what the player has accomplished. The things in Gallagher's favor are

1. He played on a playoff team and played a big role in getting us there.

2. He brings a lot of intangibles in terms of going to the net, taking hits to make plays, etc.

3. He and Galchenyuk both saw less ice time and certainly less PP time than Yakupov and Huberdeau, who had more opportunity.

4. Yakupov (and to a lesser extent Huberdeau) racked up points in entirely meaningless games. Honestly, who cares that Yakupov scored a hat trick in his last game when neither team had anything to win or lose with the outcome. That was essentially an exhibition game that he used to pad his stats. To me, Yakupov was silent when the Oilers needed him earlier in the season, and he's not even in the discussion for ROY.

Maybe, but it's hard to say. One could say the same thing about Letang passing Subban or Crosby passing St. Louis and the MVP candidates or Anderson passing Bobrovsky. In the end, you can only judge what the player has accomplished. The things in Gallagher's favor are

Well he has a better PPG pace just like Crosby and Letang do and that should be a factor IMO. I think Anderson's sample size is too small(he only played 24 games which is half the season) though and Gallagher is only back by 4 games.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I am pretty amazed how much everyone hates Subban throughout the league except Habs fans.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=669593&cmpid=nhl-fb

im not, the average fan listens to the party lines and repeats them. look at the stuff being said....i hate subban for his attitude!

amount of montreal games watched: zero. pj stock hit pieces watched: 2

They're jealous.

Thats what the comments reek to me of: jealousy. Sutter is somehow the "ok" choice because he's not as high-profile or exciting as either Subban or Letang. Most who are saying Letang should win are either Pens fans (there are a lot of them out there!) or those who feel like PPG is the only stat to measure a player by.

I have a sneaking suspicion he (Subban) will win. I was a little worried (because of biases etc) he wouldnt even be a nominee, but now that he is, I think there's a good chance he got the votes to put him in 1st. We shall see.

Guest habs1952

Thats what the comments reek to me of: jealousy. Sutter is somehow the "ok" choice because he's not as high-profile or exciting as either Subban or Letang. Most who are saying Letang should win are either Pens fans (there are a lot of them out there!) or those who feel like PPG is the only stat to measure a player by.

I have a sneaking suspicion he (Subban) will win. I was a little worried (because of biases etc) he wouldnt even be a nominee, but now that he is, I think there's a good chance he got the votes to put him in 1st. We shall see.

Yup...we're gonna keep our fingers crossed.

I hate hearing people talk about how 1-way d men shouldnt win the Norris when they are referring to Subban. I totally agree that the Norris Trophy shouldnt necessarily be the best offensive dman, but people dont understand how good PK really is defensively. He is better overall than Letang for sure.

I hate hearing people talk about how 1-way d men shouldnt win the Norris when they are referring to Subban. I totally agree that the Norris Trophy shouldnt necessarily be the best offensive dman, but people dont understand how good PK really is defensively. He is better overall than Letang for sure.

They saw him do spinorama's in the WJC and in his first month or so in the NHL, and they think that his development has just completely stagnated.

The truth is that Subban is going to have to be twice as good for twice as long to get the recognition he deserves from the general public. He's already been painted as a bad locker room guy, all flashy offense, etc etc. Of course, anyone who knows a damn thing about hockey can see that his defensive game is incredibly polished and among the top in the league, as well as his offensive upside taking a big improvement this season, but for Joe Sixpack all that matters is whether or not they're a good teammate and there's still lingering sentiment from 2010 that he's a flashy player who tries to go end to end and do spinorama's all game.

Still, that sentiment doesn't still follow Doughty but there's a pretty key difference there that colours the perception of Subban by the Joe Sixpack type.

Agree with some of the sentiments here: very surprised by how ignorant some of the comments on other sites have been, criticizing Subban for being a purely offensive D man. MAB is a one-way offensive D man. Mike Green, a few years ago, was a huge defensive liability despite his production. Andrei Markov this season has only been reliable offensively. But people making comments saying Subban doesn't have skill defensively haven't watched Habs games the past two years. Subban is without a doubt the most complete defenceman we've had here in two maybe three decades. He can skate, he can shoot, he can hit, and he's excellent in his own zone. He can match up against any player in the league and cover him, he's one of our most reliable players at clearing the puck, and his puck protection skills may be better than any other defenceman in the entire league. To me, this guy is hands-down the Norris trophy winner this season; as I said, I can understand if Gallagher loses to Hubderdeau, but if Subban doesn't win, it's highway robbery.

Agree with some of the sentiments here: very surprised by how ignorant some of the comments on other sites have been, criticizing Subban for being a purely offensive D man. MAB is a one-way offensive D man. Mike Green, a few years ago, was a huge defensive liability despite his production. Andrei Markov this season has only been reliable offensively. But people making comments saying Subban doesn't have skill defensively haven't watched Habs games the past two years. Subban is without a doubt the most complete defenceman we've had here in two maybe three decades. He can skate, he can shoot, he can hit, and he's excellent in his own zone. He can match up against any player in the league and cover him, he's one of our most reliable players at clearing the puck, and his puck protection skills may be better than any other defenceman in the entire league. To me, this guy is hands-down the Norris trophy winner this season; as I said, I can understand if Gallagher loses to Hubderdeau, but if Subban doesn't win, it's highway robbery.

Agree on all counts. I'll admit i havent seen a ton of Minnesota games, but from the 10-12 or so Ive seen this year, I dont see anything in Suter that makes me believe he's better defensively than PK. As good, maybe, but then PK wins in several other categories.

And like you, BT, I would say PK is the best defensman we've had since Chelios - and there have been some very very good defensemen on this team since then.

Agree on all counts. I'll admit i havent seen a ton of Minnesota games, but from the 10-12 or so Ive seen this year, I dont see anything in Suter that makes me believe he's better defensively than PK. As good, maybe, but then PK wins in several other categories.

And like you, BT, I would say PK is the best defensman we've had since Chelios - and there have been some very very good defensemen on this team since then.

I've also seen about 8-10 Minnesota games only, but from everything I've heard in the media, the only argument that seems to be recurrently in favor of Suter is that he must be important because he plays so many minutes. I'd argue that it's not Subban's fault MT doesn't play him as much as Suter does nor was it Subban's fault that he missed 6 games for a contract issue and then spent another half dozen games being "worked back into the line-up."

In the 14 games in which Subban played more than 25 minutes, he put up 5 goals and 12 assists for 17 points. If anything, I'd say that not only can PK play those big minutes, he also excels in situations where he's been asked to play them. I'd also posted a comment on the Andrew Berkshire piece, showing Subban schooled Suter on just about every advanced stat on possession AND demonstrating that Subban made his defensive partners better while Suter actually relied on Brodin to improve his numbers. And for all the talk about how great Suter was on the penalty kill, well Minnesota finished at 18th in the league, hardly any better than the Habs. People (read that as media) seem to see some inherent value in Suter because of intangibles, but all the statistics indicate Subban had a far better season.