The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Habs Award Candidates

jeff33

I'll understand somewhat if Suter does win, but i do think Subban is the clear choice. As for all the big minutes that Suter plays... Who else does Minny really have? They relied on the solid play of a rookie with Suter (not taking anything away from Brodin's great play), but after that they have Tom Gilbert, and not much else. Mostly young players that have to develop.

The biggest case for both of Minnesotas players that should win awards (Brodin and Suter) is the minutes they play. That solely relies on their coach. Who knows who else could have played those same minutes if given the chance. Lost of players can play big minutes, but its harder to play fewer mins but give quality play.

Not saying that Brodin and Suter didnt have good seasons or are bad players, but TOI can be over rated.

I know as hab fans we want to see PK win the Norris and we may be a bit biased.

I've only seen a handful of minny games this year. They do rely heavily on Suter and it has been obvious during the post season. Where Suter has helped to keep Toews off the scoresheet.

It's hard to say which one is better, while Suter is a stay at home d, who can chip in offensively (and will), Pk is much more versatile.

Defensively you have to give it to Suter, not cos he's better defensively, but because that's his main role. So obviously his defensive game stands out. And that minny relied on him to be solid defensively. They also had a strong tender in backstrom which may pad some of Suter's numbers.

So let's cut it down.

Suter 1 point for his defensive game-Monster minutes from start to finish

PK for his offensive game 1 point-Played less minutes, but still amassed more points than Suter

Another point for Subban for his versatility-He can be used in just about every situation... 5 on 5/4 on 4, PP, PK (yet he rarely see's PK minutes). Minny fans may argue they also rely on Ryan for offensive help as well, his 32 points is pretty good for a guy who's been thought of as a defensive dman.

As for how heavily the team relies on each player, you have to give Suter a point since he plays monster minutes and has done so consistently throughout the season. Which Subban saw more of in the 2nd half of the season, so I'd give suter a point, but one could argue Subban deserves one or even half a point as well.

Breaking that down. Suter: 2 points

Subban: 2 points

It's pretty much a draw between the 2 of them. Defensively you have to give it to Suter, but that doesn't mean PK doesn't have a strong defensive game, he simply wasn't relied on defensively this season by MT. Can't hold that against Subban.

If the voters are looking at their overall games, offense/defense, special teams, etc... it's still pretty even.

One thing to note about both of these players, none of them play on a team with standout stars like the pens. What they accomplished was all due to hard work.

People (read that as media) seem to see some inherent value in Suter because of intangibles, but all the statistics indicate Subban had a far better season.

Bingo. It makes little sense. It will be quite interesting to see who does, in fact, win.

With the shortned season and no East-West games on the schedule, voters havent necessarily seen the players in the other conference much and may go on reputation as much as actual performance. I think that Subban and Letang split the Eastern vote and that favors Suter

With the shortned season and no East-West games on the schedule, voters havent necessarily seen the players in the other conference much and may go on reputation as much as actual performance. I think that Subban and Letang split the Eastern vote and that favors Suter

Interesting point, CRB. Are there not more members of the PHWA in the east though?

Interesting point, CRB. Are there not more members of the PHWA in the east though?

There are more voters in the East. But even if we're talking about Letang and Subban vote-splitting, you'd have to think there will 1) be more votes for Subban and 2) not all of the West guys will vote Suter. I still believe Subban is and should be the favorite.

Subban and Letang both had phenominal years and are both very deserving candidates. I'll be happy either one wins (though my preference is Subban for obvious reasons ;))

I'd be pretty dissapointed if Suter pulls it off. My concern is that the rhetoric of Suter being a better/shutdown guy will take over. The average voter can probably pick Suter and feel like they are choosing a guy who does "more than get points" even though Subban and Letang are both clearly superior to Suter when you look at the advanced stats.

I think Brian Murray deserved a nod over most guys on that list. The youth + goalie he acquired during his tenior carried the team this season.

Same here. Not sure what the Ducks GM did, but I knew Shero and Bergevin would be there. Brian Murray was huge to Ottawa's success (could be potentially more realistically called lack of failure-equally impressive IMO). Surprised he didn't make it.

Bergeron, Datsyuk and Toews nominated for Frank J. Selke Trophy

Full story here:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51906-Bergeron-Datsyuk-and-Toews-nominated-for-Frank-J-Selke-Trophy.html

Sidney Crosby, Josh Harding and Adam McQuaid nominated for Masterton Trophy

Full story here:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51878-Sidney-Crosby-Josh-Harding-and-Adam-McQuaid-nominated-for-Masterton-Trophy.html

Bergeron, Datsyuk and Toews nominated for Frank J. Selke Trophy

Full story here:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51906-Bergeron-Datsyuk-and-Toews-nominated-for-Frank-J-Selke-Trophy.html

Sidney Crosby, Josh Harding and Adam McQuaid nominated for Masterton Trophy

Full story here:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/51878-Sidney-Crosby-Josh-Harding-and-Adam-McQuaid-nominated-for-Masterton-Trophy.html

Harding FTW!

Harding FTW!

Had totally forgotten about Harding before the nominations came out, but he's an excellent candidate. I'd take him over the other two... to me, Sid is overrated because of his status as a player, not for the actual criteria of the award and McQuaid falls below Markov on the totem pole for me. I agree, Harding for the win.

MacLean, Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks and Joel Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks are the three finalists for the Jack Adams Award.

Full story here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423389

From Dave Stubbs Twitter:

"And when #Sens MacLean wins Adams (my hunch), in his acceptance speech he should thank his players by jersey numbers"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

MacLean, Bruce Boudreau of the Anaheim Ducks and Joel Quenneville of the Chicago Blackhawks are the three finalists for the Jack Adams Award.

Full story here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423389

From Dave Stubbs Twitter:

"And when #Sens MacLean wins Adams (my hunch), in his acceptance speech he should thank his players by jersey numbers"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

coo coo ca choo

I'm fine with Therrien not getting a nod. He was probably 3rd or 4th in any case, and while it would have been nice for him to get some recognition, I personally don't feel like he was Adams-worthy this year and I think Maclean is a lock to win anyways. My argument against Therrien is that this team was likely to rebound from its last season anyways, maybe not to the extent Therrien was able to achieve, but I don't think the whole turnaround can be attributed to Therrien. Some of it was just having a bad team with lots of injuries the season before.

I'm fine with Therrien not getting a nod. He was probably 3rd or 4th in any case, and while it would have been nice for him to get some recognition, I personally don't feel like he was Adams-worthy this year and I think Maclean is a lock to win anyways. My argument against Therrien is that this team was likely to rebound from its last season anyways, maybe not to the extent Therrien was able to achieve, but I don't think the whole turnaround can be attributed to Therrien. Some of it was just having a bad team with lots of injuries the season before.

Agreed, but that holds equally true for Boudreau. And if you're into advance stats, they show the Ducks weren't playing particularly well and got there on the back of some unsustainable high shooting percentages and some incredible goaltending. At least in MT's case, he had this team playing a brand of good possession hockey we haven't seen in probably at least 15+ years.

Agreed, but that holds equally true for Boudreau. And if you're into advance stats, they show the Ducks weren't playing particularly well and got there on the back of some unsustainable high shooting percentages and some incredible goaltending. At least in MT's case, he had this team playing a brand of good possession hockey we haven't seen in probably at least 15+ years.

I agree. To me, Boudreau and Therrien are inter-changeable.

• 4 weeks later...

From NHL.com

The 2013 NHL Awards winners will be revealed in two live television specials during the Stanley Cup Final.

At 7 p.m. on the day of Game 2 of the Final, the winners of the Hart, Calder, Norris and Vezina trophies, along with the Ted Lindsay Award, will be announced as part of an hour-long show that will be broadcast on NBC Sports Network in the United States and CBC in Canada. The program also will be streamed live online at cbcsports.ca.

The day before Game 2 of the Final, the winners of the Masterton, Selke, King Clancy and Lady Byng trophies, the Jack Adams Award, the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, the NHL Foundation Player Award and the NHL General Manager of the Year Award will be revealed at 5 p.m. on NHL Network in the United States and Canada, and streamed live online at NHL.com.

NHL.com will have full coverage of the NHL Awards, including live updates, an interactive chat with fans during both television specials and video features and reaction from each of the award winners.

Paul MacLean was the runaway winner of the Jack Adams award as the coach of the year, while Daniel Alfredsson won the Mark Messier Leadership award

The other winners on Friday were Josh Harding of the Minnesota Wild, who took the Masterton Trophy, for perseverance and dedication; Patrice Bergeron, who won the King Clancy Trophy for his leadership on and off the ice; Martin St. Louis of the Tampa Bay Lightning, who won the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play; Jonathan Toews of the Chicago Blackhawks, who won the Frank J. Selke Trophy as the top defensive forward; Ray Shero of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who was named general manager of the year; and Henrik Zetterberg of the Detroit Red Wings, who won the NHL Foundation Player Award, to the player who applies the core values of hockey to enrich the lives of people in his community

Re the bolded part----Really???? :blink::o