The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

Guest habs1952

I really don't think we got away with anything. I feel both teams could have had players suspended thus no players were. I keep hearing about our goonery last night which I'll admit was bad, but I hear nothing about the first few seconds of the game when Pk was crosschecked in the head & Carey was deliberately tripped. The refs let the Sens get away with everything from the opening whistle & our players became extremely frustrated. I feel that had a little to do with how we played. I'm not making excuses though, some players really need to start showing up in this series.

That being said each act taken by itself could have definitely warranted suspensions against our players.

That's how I see it HRF. Except for the head shots, this how the NHL wants to market the game. Gladiators, win at all costs. Everyone is now waiting to see what happens in game 4.

Had a chance to re-watch the game from last night... general points:

1. The Sens were clearly out to start the game by hitting everything that moved. A lot of the hits were hard but legal, a few were late, and a couple were clearly over the limit. The refs let some stuff go for both sides, and the Sens took more advantage of the leniency than the Habs. In the end, I don't think the refs were overly biased one way or the other, but the added leniency at the start of the game allowed Ottawa to set the tone and play the type of chippy game they wanted to play.

2. One thing I didn't like from the officiating though was the embellishment by Ottawa that wasn't called. There were a couple of weak stick infractions called on us where the Ottawa player went down extremely easily. We saw Anderson do it the first two games, and we saw a couple of there other players do it last night. Again, not to say we were perfect either, but we've seen Prust and Subban nailed for less in the past, and I'd have liked to see more consistency between officials here because that only added to the frustration.

3. While Ottawa made some dirty plays, I didn't like what I saw from a couple of the Habs either. White's slash that started the brawl was unnecessary, although one could easily see extracurricular stickwork both ways. The shot I think most of us didn't care for was Bourque's elbow to the head, which in my view should have been given a suspension. No reason for it, and a guy who's been suspended before AND had recent concussion issues himself should know better.

4. Paul Maclean's timeout with 17 seconds left to go was a farce. He can say he was protecting his players all he wants, but during the timeout, he was drawing x's and o's on the board. The bottom line is that he was within his right to use it, but it was clearly gamesmanship and nothing more.

5. This team needs leadership more than anything. From the coaches and from the captains and alternates. Someone should have reeled the negative energy in last night and preached discipline. You can't play Chris Neil's game and expect to win. We need to play Tomas Plekanec and Brendan Gallagher hockey. It's one thing for guys to talk about it afterwards and to hear them say they know what they need to do better, but if they're cognizant of it now, they should have been able to realize it during the game too. I'd like to see more from Gionta, Markov, Ryder, Plekanec, Gorges, and company in terms of righting this ship and keeping the younger guys in line.

Great points BigTed.

I agree on pretty much all of them. The refs got what they deserved - they let waaaaay too much go in that first period & its no surprise it blew up when the game was more or less out of reach.

I also 100% agree with your point about Ottawa brining the tone & us trying to match it, rather than playing our game. Barring Price channeling the ghost of George Vezina, we will lose this series if we continue to play their game. However, if we get back to playing our game - speed, creativity and skill - we can still win this series.

I still believe.

Great points BigTed.

I agree on pretty much all of them. The refs got what they deserved - they let waaaaay too much go in that first period & its no surprise it blew up when the game was more or less out of reach.

I also 100% agree with your point about Ottawa brining the tone & us trying to match it, rather than playing our game. Barring Price channeling the ghost of George Vezina, we will lose this series if we continue to play their game. However, if we get back to playing our game - speed, creativity and skill - we can still win this series.

I still believe.

Best way to deal with being pummeled physically is to get back up and frustrate the other team by showing it's not doing anything to help them. If the Habs were to have taken the lead, it would have forced Ottawa to concentrate more on offence and less on setting the tone, in addition to taking the crowd out. The first goal has been a big thing for us both ways this season, so once again, that will be paramount, especially on the road.

Best way to deal with being pummeled physically is to get back up and frustrate the other team by showing it's not doing anything to help them. If the Habs were to have taken the lead, it would have forced Ottawa to concentrate more on offence and less on setting the tone, in addition to taking the crowd out. The first goal has been a big thing for us both ways this season, so once again, that will be paramount, especially on the road.

Well and thats the funny thing. Going into the 1st intermission, I couldn't help but notice how frustrated some of the sens were at Gallagher and PK. Unfortunately, we couldn't capitalize on getting them frustrated and then we went off the deep end, but at least for the first 20 minutes we were doing ok.

Don Cherry agreed that Maclean was a jerk for time out. Surprising.

Can anyone please explain (forgive if this is OT) why Daigenault should be fired, especially after one season? Im not overly familiar with being IN the game of hockey and am merely a spectator, I just have no issues with him asides his PK

Who coached our PK under JM...Muller?

as much as i dont want to see it again, i think it was good for us to get that out of our system. we started this serieson the rightest foot we could have, playing our game and playing it effectively.

that eller incident has been an enormous distraction, and with the absolute garbage way the sens started game 3, i think our guys were just exploding on the bench.

in a game that got out of hand, im happy we let it all out when it didnt matter, as opposed to having it stewing inside us and continuing to hurt us. i think we blew off the steam we needed to, and we can go back to playing hockey now, which if we do the way we can, we will come out on top.

Can anyone please explain (forgive if this is OT) why Daigenault should be fired, especially after one season? Im not overly familiar with being IN the game of hockey and am merely a spectator, I just have no issues with him asides his PK

Who coached our PK under JM...Muller?

I've been wondering the same thing...

I sure hope you're right Jeff33

as much as i dont want to see it again, i think it was good for us to get that out of our system. we started this serieson the rightest foot we could have, playing our game and playing it effectively.

that eller incident has been an enormous distraction, and with the absolute garbage way the sens started game 3, i think our guys were just exploding on the bench.

in a game that got out of hand, im happy we let it all out when it didnt matter, as opposed to having it stewing inside us and continuing to hurt us. i think we blew off the steam we needed to, and we can go back to playing hockey now, which if we do the way we can, we will come out on top.

An interesting take. I hope you're right ;)

True enough, but some of our shortcomings IMO are due to problems that I am not sure Therrien and Bergevin are objective enough to acknowledge. For example, I firmly believe that Daigneault should be fired, but is Therrien going to dismiss one of his friends? Is he going to acknowledge the hard truth that Andrei Markov is no longer a top-four d-man? Is Bergevin open to the idea that re-signing David Desharnais to a multi-year extension in season was a mistake?

I'm not going to pass judgment on Bergevin, but his tenure so far has been a mixed bag and I honestly don't know what his response will be this summer. If he seriously thinks that our blueline is fine as is, I'll be very worried.

I don't think Bergevin would say this team's blueline is "fine as is" though. First off they're missing one of their best d-men from this season in Emelin. Markov may not be a 25 minute a night d-man, but to say he's not even a top 4 d-man is getting a bit ahead of ourselves is it not?

Honestly waht we've seen from Tinordi in 3 games has been very exciting to me, and looking at a core of Subban, Tinordi, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges and ____ sounds pretty damn good to me.

This team has Markov and Bouillon to provide value in the other spots (yes I think Frankie will sit if this team ever gets healthy next year) until someone is ready.

Desharnais----no one could have predicted he'd fall off like he has since signing that deal, but even still I didn't ever see how he fit on this team without real cup aspirations this year (as shown by their lack of moves at the deadline) since very soon AG will have to play center and Eller looks like a legit top 6 center as well.

Too many centers is never a bad thing, and DD could certainly always play on the wing...but I hope he plays well for a while next year and is dealt, as I believe the sole purpose of the re-signing was to trade him down the road, a plan which is hindered if he's not playing well obviously.

For all the superlatives about how great the Sens played, and the narrative of the Habs losing their cool, they lost the first game they'd been soundly outplayed in. That was obviously going to come at some point, no?

If the Habs win tomorrow night, they have a best of 3 with home ice advantage AND even without Eller, Emelin and Pacio/Gio not playing at 100% they have better depth, and Karlsson has only played a handful of games and that game 6/7 back to backer will need lots of minutes from guys on the Sens and the Habs should be hypothetically able to roll their lines a bit more. We saw how Karlsson looked in game 2 of the B2B.

So...A win tomorrow, and then hope for a win in 5 or 6 and hopefully the Habs significantly better forward depth, as well as the lack of the necessity to really have one d-man shoulder the load like the sens must needs do with Karlsson and hopefully the Habs get that game 7 win at home.

I think we saw this series that win or lose, a Habs cup win seems like a tall and unlikely order...but there are too many positives about this organization to be overly upset about anything right now.

Guest Regis2

Honestly waht we've seen from Tinordi in 3 games has been very exciting to me, and looking at a core of Subban, Tinordi, Emelin, Diaz, Gorges and ____ sounds pretty damn good to me.

Too small

Not enough size, grit and only one guy can carry the puck or make a decent pass out of his zone ....Mr Subban

If we're hedging our bets on Ells ( ? ) and Bealieu to make it next year I think were presuming too much

The biggest disappointment so far is I feel we deserved to win our two home games. Instead Ottawa stole game number 1 from us with an excellent goaltending performance and dominated us last game. I don't think I'd be so peeved if we were down 2-1 in the series right now. However, with a poor performance again tonight we will be on the brink... Which is going to be bad. Our team doesn't have a huge veteran presence for post-season success. I'm not sure we'll dig ourselves out a 3-1 hole.

The Habs have clearly been the better team in Games 1, 2, and 4... three games out of four. And yet despite that, our series has been marked by 4 problems:

1. Untimely mistakes costing us momentum.

2. The brutal refereeing tonight.

3. The headshot to Eller, which really set a tone to this series that didn't help us.

4. Most importantly, the injuries... Eller, Pacman, Gionta, Prust, Price, Emelin, Bourque, Ryder... I'm relatively sure that even those guys in the line-up are playing with fairly important injuries. This team had success during the season because the core stayed intact and because we benefited from our depth. We've lost that depth due to injury and it means that our top 6 has to outplay the other team's top 6 to win now.