The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Round 1: Canadiens vs. Senators

BigTed3

Well, Isn't that just dandy :angry: , For the Fri. game I will be at 30,000 feet over the Rockies, and won't land or know the score 'til it's over. :angry: :angry:

Does anyone know if they have in-flight hockey games on? :rolleyes:

Westjet has live TV!

Well, Isn't that just dandy :angry: , For the Fri. game I will be at 30,000 feet over the Rockies, and won't land or know the score 'til it's over. :angry: :angry:

Does anyone know if they have in-flight hockey games on? :rolleyes:

Flying back from England one year and the final game was on,the captain kept us all informed of the score.I am sure if you ask they will tell you.

Not worried about the Sens we can do this,just make Eller and the kids first line,give them 25 mins apiece and watch them go,they have more energy and stamina than the old guys, played world championship games last year,much bigger stage than this,this is local,and none of them have made really bad glaring mistakes this year,yeah give the kids their heads much more fun,and they can match speed with anyone,I may be crazy but I would love it.

GO HABS GO :P:lol::wub:

love my team

Leafs or Sens both would have been tough match-ups, but I don't think there's an easy match-up for anyone in the East this year.

agreed

GO HABS

Sens are an ideal match-up.

A Leafs series was just apt to get out of hand with physicality. I'm not certain the survivior of Booing-Laffs will have anything left.

And the Habs could end up playing the winner of that series if the Rangers beat the Caps (entirely possible). I'm assuming here that the Pen take the Isles.

With OTT, if Neil starts getting out of hand with the Habs playmaking/scoring forwards, or Subban, then the Habs bigger guys just need to take some runs at Karllson and Neil backs off.

This will be a skating series.

Habs are the much better skaters. Ottawa is the poorest scoring team in the play-offs.

The only thumbnail is Anderson. Don't need him standing on his head for 4-7 games straight.

Sorry but for me I didn't want to have the Sens on the first round.

Yes they have ended only 7th in the East but they have played the whole season with a very good defensive team, every goalie appears like a top 5 in their net.

Also, they played without Karlson, who's only last Norris Trophy winner, and Spezza who's a nightmare for a lot of goalies.

Even if they don't score a lot, I think that this team is built for playoff and with Spezza who could come back before the end of the season, I really think that this team is dangerous. They are not the best skaters, not the most physical team but, as the Canadiens, they are here due to a total team spirit and in this case even if you have better players indivudally, it doesn't make the team.

(I hope that what I want to say is comprehensible and without too many mistakes ;) )

Part of me was sort of hoping for a B's win tonight so that we would face the leafs in the first round, but I think either team (leafs or sens) are wholly beatable, so Im happy to: a) have home-ice until at least the 3rd round and b ) have no possible way to meet the pens until at least the conference finals :)

I like this for a couple of reasons. I'd hate to lose to the leafs in the first round by blowouts (I'm still licking my wounds from that one). And second, I don't want our players getting injured in the first round, only to meet the Bruins in the second round. That would be the end of us for sure. Ottawa is a fast paced team, like ours. It should be a great series, and I also predict 5 or 6 for Habs. After round one, 1 of the bruiser teams will be gone, and we STILL get home ice advantage. That's big in Montreal, there's no overstating that fact. And let's face it, Ottawa is a home crowd for all intents and purposes, let's get our boys confidence up and running before we face round 2.

This series worries me for different reasons than a Toronto series would have worried me. Ottawa plays super-solid defense, and their goaltending is ace. They're exactly the kind of team that can frustrate you into a 2-1 loss in a game where you're dominating puck possession but somehow not getting quality scoring chances. Maclean IMO deserves an Adams nomination for keeping his team in the playoff hunt with all the key injuries (and the absence of Spezza being the ongoing one). With Karlson back months ahead of schedule, they've got some mojo heading into the postseason. And of course, Alfredsson has been a Habs killer for about as long as I can remember.

We are going to have to play watertight defense in front of Price, who had better be at his best for the whole series. Enough is enough. He's being paid to be a franchise goalie, and he hasn't been this season. Now we're playing meaningful hockey again, and there are no more excuses.

The last issue is Therrien. He and the coaches have done a great job, by and large, this year, but now we're in the playoffs, so we'll see how good a strategist he is in a seven-game series. Can he make good in-game adjustments? Can he adapt after a tough loss? Can he let go of his favoritism for certain players (e.g. Desharnais, Markov) if they aren't producing and we need a goal? I hope the answer is yes to all these questions, but we won't find out until the bullets are flying...

No one is looking past the Senators, they are the stingiest team in the playoffs, Anderson has been tight and now with Karlsson back they are looking good heading into the playoffs but Montreal needs to just go out there shift after shift and execute. Take the coaching right out of it, I would put pucks in deep to start and get some hits on their D. Puck possession hockey will work once the D men back off a little more. Special teams will be huge in this series. I think Montreal takes Game one 2-0, I refuse to make any predictions on the series as I want to take it one game at a time as well.

If all three scoring lines are on their game, I do not see the Sens being able to keep up.

Price needs to step it up here, play like the franchise goalie he is paid to be.

Yes, if we can maintain a balanced attack, I like our chances. The Sens are exactly the kind of 7th place 'underdog' team that can upset a division leader via hot goaltending and opportunistic scoring (much like we did in 09-10), but that's harder to do when the opposing team isn't relying on one or two superstars (e.g. Ovechkin or Crosby/Malkin) to carry the load. But it's an 'if'. Our top six has looked pretty pedestrian lately.

Penalty kill is a big issue. For all the apologists, we finished the season at 23rd overall, in the bottom third of the league. That's a 21-rank slide from a year ago and absolutely unacceptable in my books.

To be honest I had kind of come around to the idea of playing the Leafs. I'm happy to have won the division, don't get me wrong, but I think Toronto would have been the easier first round match-up. I'm really not that concerned with our season record against them - once the playoffs start all that is out the window. We have a better hockey team and I'm pretty sure that would have come through in a 7 game series.

But hey, now that that's not happening we've got something different to look forward to :). I think that Ottawa could be one of the tougher teams in the East, but it really depends on whether or not we can score early. It's one thing if Montreal completely drops the ball and has a stinker of a loss in game 1, but against a team like Ottawa it's almost a worse scenario if we completely dominate the game but lose by a goal. Lose once like that and you might tell yourself that you can come back next game, but lose twice in that way and you start to panic. Ottawa has the goalie and team play mentality that can be really dangerous.

Having said all that, though, if we can get it rolling early against them I think that we should be able to keep it going to pull out a win in 5 games. I think that momentum will be absolutely huge in this series, so I'd love to see us get the better of it right off the bat.

To be honest I had kind of come around to the idea of playing the Leafs. I'm happy to have won the division, don't get me wrong, but I think Toronto would have been the easier first round match-up. I'm really not that concerned with our season record against them - once the playoffs start all that is out the window. We have a better hockey team and I'm pretty sure that would have come through in a 7 game series.

But hey, now that that's not happening we've got something different to look forward to :). I think that Ottawa could be one of the tougher teams in the East, but it really depends on whether or not we can score early. It's one thing if Montreal completely drops the ball and has a stinker of a loss in game 1, but against a team like Ottawa it's almost a worse scenario if we completely dominate the game but lose by a goal. Lose once like that and you might tell yourself that you can come back next game, but lose twice in that way and you start to panic. Ottawa has the goalie and team play mentality that can be really dangerous.

Having said all that, though, if we can get it rolling early against them I think that we should be able to keep it going to pull out a win in 5 games. I think that momentum will be absolutely huge in this series, so I'd love to see us get the better of it right off the bat.

If you look at how they played, posession stats etc. Toronto is probably the weakest playoff team in the East. I think they'd be easier to beat than Ottawa, but I think if we get passed Ottawa, we're in better shape:

Better opponent in the second round: ie zero chance of playing Pittsburg

Better shape going into the second round: less banged up/injuries

Penalty kill is a big issue. For all the apologists, we finished the season at 23rd overall, in the bottom third of the league. That's a 21-rank slide from a year ago and absolutely unacceptable in my books.

I honestly wish we had this guy going into the playoffs

halgill.jpg

I would feel alot better having a veteran like Gill on the backend.

Just in case anyone's wondering...

Ottawa powerplay effectiveness was 15.9% (20th). Their penalty killing effectiveness was 88.0% (#1, best in the league). They were 15th in the league for 5-on-5 goals for/against.

The key to the series could be finding a way to crack that penalty kill.

More specifically, I think cracking the penalty kill could almost ensure the series IMO.

It's important to note that they have a poor penalty kill largely without Karlsson. With him in, its a whole new PP and could be a whole new game.

More specifically, I think cracking the penalty kill could almost ensure the series IMO.

It's important to note that they have a poor penalty kill largely without Karlsson. With him in, its a whole new PP and could be a whole new game.

Good point. Karlsson will most assuredly bring their powerplay percentage up.

Guest habs1952

This series worries me for different reasons than a Toronto series would have worried me. Ottawa plays super-solid defense, and their goaltending is ace. They're exactly the kind of team that can frustrate you into a 2-1 loss in a game where you're dominating puck possession but somehow not getting quality scoring chances. Maclean IMO deserves an Adams nomination for keeping his team in the playoff hunt with all the key injuries (and the absence of Spezza being the ongoing one). With Karlson back months ahead of schedule, they've got some mojo heading into the postseason. And of course, Alfredsson has been a Habs killer for about as long as I can remember.

We are going to have to play watertight defense in front of Price, who had better be at his best for the whole series. Enough is enough. He's being paid to be a franchise goalie, and he hasn't been this season. Now we're playing meaningful hockey again, and there are no more excuses.

The last issue is Therrien. He and the coaches have done a great job, by and large, this year, but now we're in the playoffs, so we'll see how good a strategist he is in a seven-game series. Can he make good in-game adjustments? Can he adapt after a tough loss? Can he let go of his favoritism for certain players (e.g. Desharnais, Markov) if they aren't producing and we need a goal? I hope the answer is yes to all these questions, but we won't find out until the bullets are flying...

I cringe when he gets the puck in the O zone. He's the one player on Ottawa I fear when they play the Habs. If Therrien plays DD and Patches against him it will be a nightmare.